Extremely poor vision, multi engine medical

G

Gygax's Chosen

I barely scraped by on my vision for my pre-solo medical. Im no where near it of course. But someday i desire to get a multi engine rating. Is the vision testing for it more strenious?

Its my distant vision that kills me. Color and upclose is fine.

There is no such thing. It's 3rd class, 2nd class, and 1st. 3rd is all you need if you don't want to fly commercially.

While I did not believe my vision to be so bad, my eye DR recommended cataract removal. My friend, also an eye DR, saw the start of cataracts 4 or 5 years ago.
I had one eye 'done' about 10-days ago, and the second one scheduled for the middle of July. The difference in visual sharpness and really outstanding. As another pilot told me, he wished he had done it years ago. I really look forward to the second cataract removal. It is a no-pain, no problem procedure. Easy and worth the while.

For twins you need bifocals. For three engines you need trifocals. For four engines you need to wear both contacts and glasses.

I have for a few years now taken a regular dose of cymbalta for depression and anxiety. Nothing severe, never been suicidal or anywhere near it.

Will this prohibit me from obtaining my private medical? I dont want to earn money or start a buissness. I just want to fly myself and a few buddies arround.

Troll methinks

Oops, the post below was written to the OP, Gygax. Sorry... but PManton, a lot of it applies to your post anyway. I have deleted the non-applicable part.

Methinks not. .....

A diagnosis of depression is a huge red flag for the FAA Medical folks. You are going to have to prove to the FAA's satisfaction the "nothing severe, nothing suicidal" statements .... and it may not be possible to do so. I'm truly sorry!

-Skip

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back