Extraordinary Feats of Music

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
The holidays are over, college football is over, and the Rolex 24 at Daytona isn't for a couple of weeks, so not much on the telly that interests me. I was poking around the internet, and found a few musical pieces that were, shall we say, surprising.

First up is a gentleman who is an accordion virtuoso, and plays Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" at an astonishing tempo:

Mad skills indeed.

This couple has expanded the musical abilities of glass to where they can play classical music.

Bellisima!

Last edited:
For those of us who aren't familiar with the song "Misirlou", it's a Greek pop tune from the early 20th century. It got a new lease on life when surf rock founder Dick Dale recorded it in the early 60's. Quentin Tarantino repopularized it when he included it in "Pulp Fiction". More recently, the Cello Orchestra of Baden-Württemberg chose to perform it at one of their public performances:

Never in a million years would I think I'd hear a Greek pop tune performed by what appears to be a few hundred string players and a few percussionists.

Literally anything by Matteo Mancuso. I consider him to be the best guitarist (and this coming from a purist prog-snob).

The holidays are over, college football is over, and the Rolex 24 at Daytona isn't for a couple of weeks, so not much on the telly that interests me. I was poking around the internet, and found a few musical pieces that were, shall we say, surprising.

First up is a gentleman who is an accordion virtuoso, and plays Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" at an astonishing tempo:

Mad skills indeed.
But, what about toothbrushes?

I always liked some of Glen Cambell's music, but only ran across this after his death.

Wow. Just Wow.
I think a lot of us who grew up with his music didn't realize how skilled of a guitarist Glen was because what he recorded under his own name didn't require such pyrotechnics.

Here's one of his contemporaries playing a bit of flamenco:

I grew up thinking he was a comedian who could play the guitar, not realizing how brilliant he was, and on a number of different instruments.

Stevie Ray Vaughan on the riverboat President (with brother Jimmy and the Fabulous T-Birds, and Dr. John) Feb 1987. Hosted by MTV. I was in the MTV vip balcony next to a tv camera (by accident….more to that story ;) ) looking eye to eye with him for the whole event. Simply unbelievable. I don’t think he knew how amazing he was.

And on the scary side...here's an AI output imitating Frank Sinatra, singing Nirvana's, "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Ron Wanttaja

I think a lot of us who grew up with his music didn't realize how skilled of a guitarist Glen was because what he recorded under his own name didn't require such pyrotechnics.

Yep, but as a member of the Wrecking Crew he recorded a ton of stuff under other people’s names. Fantastic player.

Back