Expired license

peternpan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
peternpan
I used to have a private pilot license back in 2000. I haven't flown since then and since I am sure everything has changed, I wanted to know what it takes to renew it.

zahadat nima

My dad was out of the game since the 80s
3 hours with an instructor and a flight review was all it took.

Go on to the FAA website, update your profile, might as well schedule your medical while you are in there. Get your 2nd class, go fly your FR, and your good to go. I say second class because it's good for much longer than a 3rd class and really nothing more than eyesight, BP, a little stretching exercise, peeped test and your done.

Before you fly, I suggest Ron Machados books on whatever rating you are looking to get back I to. When I was in your exact shoes, I read his private pilots handbook before meeting with my CFI. He commented that after 14 years, I really hadn't lost much. It also,put me back in the mindset to fly. The actual flying part came back very quickly.

Go on to the FAA website, update your profile, might as well schedule your medical while you are in there. Get your 2nd class, go fly your FR, and your good to go. I say second class because it's good for much longer than a 3rd class and really nothing more than eyesight, BP, a little stretching exercise, peeped test and your done.

Before you fly, I suggest Ron Machados books on whatever rating you are looking to get back I to. When I was in your exact shoes, I read his private pilots handbook before meeting with my CFI. He commented that after 14 years, I really hadn't lost much. It also,put me back in the mindset to fly. The actual flying part came back very quickly.
Huh? How did you come up with that? Might need to go back to the books again :)

I have a ten year hole in my logbook when I moved and never managed to get around to getting checked out that persisted until I moved again and said "enough is enough".

Here's what I did:

1. Head down to the airport and talk to some instructors and find one you like.
2. Find a doc and get your medical back.
3. Grab a copy of the FAR and AIM (this you can do on line now) and find your old Private Pilot book (you can download the FAAs version of this too if you like).
4. Go home and bone up on the rule changes and things you forgotten.
5. Fly with the instructor until she feels comfortable with signing you off.
6. Make sure she signs off the flight review.

In my case, it took about an hour of ground school and three of 1.4 hour flight blocks to be back on my game.

Huh? How did you come up with that? Might need to go back to the books again :)

Uhh....err.....yea, your right. I had 1st class in my head. :mad2: I think it's 60 months if your under 40 and the 1st give you the additional year. I don't know what it is for over 40 as I have not yet crossed that waypoint yet.

Uhh....err.....yea, your right. I had 1st class in my head. :mad2: I think it's 60 months if your under 40 and the 1st give you the additional year. I don't know what it is for over 40 as I have not yet crossed that waypoint yet.

No, nothing gives you an additional year. If you're under 40, the 3rd class is good for 60 months.

If you get a 2nd class, that's good as a 2nd class for 12 months, and then as a 3rd class for an additional 48 months (total of 60 months).

If you get a 1st class, that's good as a 1st class for 6 months, and then as a 2nd class for an additional 6 months (total of 12 months) and then as a 3rd class for an additional 48 months (total of 60 months).

The point is that they don't penalize you for getting a higher-class medical. If you got a 3rd, it would be good as a 3rd for 60 months. If you get a 1st, it's also good as a 3rd for 60 months. But it's only good as a 1st for 6 months.

I need to sign up for the additional year program. where can I do that ?

I have a ten year hole in my logbook when I moved and never managed to get around to getting checked out that persisted until I moved again and said "enough is enough".

Here's what I did:

1. Head down to the airport and talk to some instructors and find one you like.
2. Find a doc and get your medical back.
3. Grab a copy of the FAR and AIM (this you can do on line now) and find your old Private Pilot book (you can download the FAAs version of this too if you like).
4. Go home and bone up on the rule changes and things you forgotten.
5. Fly with the instructor until she feels comfortable with signing you off.
6. Make sure she signs off the flight review.

In my case, it took about an hour of ground school and three of 1.4 hour flight blocks to be back on my game.

Very similar story here. I took 11 years off when life got in the way. Its funny how life can put you back in the right spot though. I took a new job and it just so happened to be 5 minutes from an airport. As I sat outside eating my lunch one day, I saw a plane or two fly over and decided it was time to get back in the saddle...I skimmed all of the FAA docs, watched a ton of Youtube videos and began flying with a CFI. I am now proud to say that I'm current and even bought a plane at that little airport near my office :)

Lots changed in the past 10 years, but much is the same. The biggest change for me was the increase of MOA areas. I did not have any MOAs in my area when I last flew in 2003. As far as flying the plane, I'm sure you will do well.

Is there cfi guidance to giving flight reviews? My flight review felt like a check right prep doing all PTS stuff except the cross country stuff. Great instructor but I felt like it was an over kill.

Very similar story here. I took 11 years off when life got in the way. Its funny how life can put you back in the right spot though. I took a new job and it just so happened to be 5 minutes from an airport. As I sat outside eating my lunch one day, I saw a plane or two fly over and decided it was time to get back in the saddle...I skimmed all of the FAA docs, watched a ton of Youtube videos and began flying with a CFI. I am now proud to say that I'm current and even bought a plane at that little airport near my office :)

Lots changed in the past 10 years, but much is the same. The biggest change for me was the increase of MOA areas. I did not have any MOAs in my area when I last flew in 2003. As far as flying the plane, I'm sure you will do well.

Welcome back to the saddle...:thumbsup:

Ps.. I am curious on your thoughts on the increased / added MOA's..

Get a medical and flight review ,jump right in its great.

Welcome back to the saddle...:thumbsup:

Ps.. I am curious on your thoughts on the increased / added MOA's..

The increase of MOAs definitely makes life more difficult when planning trips. I am not a fan...I understand they are for a reason, but when you place a barrier between 3 major cities, its a tad annoying. I wouldn't be so upset about them if they went from say 8k-18k MSL, but around here most start at ground level.

I have not flown through any, so I'm not sure if there is a real danger in doing so, but it doesn't seem prudent to fly through active MOAs...

One other minor annoyance is the prevalence of TFRs. It seems that just about anything warrants a TFR now. It would be very easy to bust a stadium TFR. I have to constantly remind myself to check for them and keep an eye out on Foreflight. (Speaking of Foreflight, WOW, what a game-changer! Such a cool tool that we are able to add to our bag. In my plane, I have a 430W, 496, and regularly use Foreflight. Its amazing how situationally aware you can be now. I got in some bad weather last week, and it was effortless to find an airport to divert to...Just have to discipline myself to keep my old school pilotage skills sharp.)

The increase of MOAs definitely makes life more difficult when planning trips. I am not a fan...I understand they are for a reason, but when you place a barrier between 3 major cities, its a tad annoying. I wouldn't be so upset about them if they went from say 8k-18k MSL, but around here most start at ground level.

I have not flown through any, so I'm not sure if there is a real danger in doing so, but it doesn't seem prudent to fly through active MOAs...

One other minor annoyance is the prevalence of TFRs. It seems that just about anything warrants a TFR now. It would be very easy to bust a stadium TFR.

TFRs- talk to ATC via flight following and the stadium TFRs no longer apply.

MOAs- for VFR flight, they are not barriers. Just talk to ATC and ask them if it is hot and tell them you're flying through on route "X" so the jet jockeys can plan their flying accordingly. For IFR flight, you can still frequently go through since the active high-speed flying the MOA exists for is only a small percentage of the week. Now R-areas on the other hand...

Last year a guy came to me who'd gotten his license at 17, then hadn't flown since. At age 57 he came to me to get current after retiring. He was prepared for 40 hours of retraining! It took 3-4 hours of ground and 5-6 hours in the air, including some short cross country's at his request for me to confidently sign him off. He was back in the swing of things after an hour or two, but we made sure we covered all the bases. He's been having a ball, flying weekly to $100 hamburger destinations with his wife.

No, nothing gives you an additional year. If you're under 40, the 3rd class is good for 60 months.

If you get a 2nd class, that's good as a 2nd class for 12 months, and then as a 3rd class for an additional 48 months (total of 60 months).

If you get a 1st class, that's good as a 1st class for 6 months, and then as a 2nd class for an additional 6 months (total of 12 months) and then as a 3rd class for an additional 48 months (total of 60 months).

The point is that they don't penalize you for getting a higher-class medical. If you got a 3rd, it would be good as a 3rd for 60 months. If you get a 1st, it's also good as a 3rd for 60 months. But it's only good as a 1st for 6 months.

Can you show me where the regulations say a medical class downgrades over time?

See 14 CFR 61.23(d). I'd post a quotation of it, but the table in it doesn't translate here.

I've always been perplexed by this.

61.23 says a first class medical certificate is good for 60 months when used to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate by someone who was under the age of 40 on the date of examination. I don't see anywhere about it becoming a different class of medical certificate.

Conducting an operation that requires a higher class medical certificate is another topic.

It doesn't "become" anything. It is just as good as a 3rd class for someone under 40, for those particular priv's...

61.23 says a first class medical certificate is good for 60 months when used to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate by someone who was under the age of 40 on the date of examination. I don't see anywhere about it becoming a different class of medical certificate.

Conducting an operation that requires a higher class medical certificate is another topic.
Your first-class medical certificate doesn't "become" a second-class certificate after six (or twelve) months. But it's only usable as one. If you need a first-class medical certificate, you will need to get a new one six (or twelve) months after you got your last one.

Have you read the table in that regulation yet? It says that the expiration date of a medical certificate depends on what type of privileges are being exercised. Look at the heading of the right hand column:

"Then your medical certificate expires, for that operation, at the end of the last day of the..."

[emphasis added]

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...7b7f6bff9f2095a49&node=se14.2.61_123&rgn=div8

You're right -- it doesn't. But the FAA feels that folks over 40 are more likely to have significant medical issues crop up in a shorter time, so they limit folks of that age flying noncommercially to 24 months versus 60 months between examinations. I'm not personally familiar with how they chose age at the time of exam rather than age at time of flight as the criterion, but it works to the airman's benefit, so I wouldn't argue with it. For a fuller medical explanation of that thinking, I'd suggest talking to someone with insider knowledge of FAA Aeromedical thinking such as Dr. Bruce Chien, MD, AME.

Yes I have read the table. That is why my post reads "..when used to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate..".

I'm not interested in why a medical certificate duration is less for those over the age 40.

You're missing the point of my post entirely.

I am commenting that a first class medical certificate issued to pilot exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate does not change to a lower class certificate as time passes.

Last edited:
Yes. The wording on the certificate is not printed in magic ink that changes with time. But what you can use it for does.

Yes I have read the table. That is why my post reads "..when used to exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate..".

OK.

I'm not interested in why a medical certificate duration is less for those over the age 40.

That's good, because that's not the question I was trying to answer.

You're missing the point of my post entirely.

Apparently.

I am commenting that a first class medical certificate issued to pilot exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate does not change to a lower class certificate as time passes.

Per the table, the types of operations that it can be used for get fewer as the various expiration dates pass. Given that, what difference does it make that it doesn't "change to a lower class certificate"? In terms of what it can be used for, it's the same thing as if it did.

Last edited:
Back