Expired database?

I've found the one time update good enough for my kind of operation. I don't file IFR regularly, when I do it's just in order to blast through a mickey mouse layer and go direct ("slant golf or I don't go!" is my war chant :D), otherwise arriving at destinations with VOR/ILS services or visual approach/VFR weather. In an emergency, I'm shooting a GPS approach with an expired database or a handheld anyways. I can see if I tried to keep the thing updated all the time it would become a detractor from the avocation; it'd surely tick me off to have such an overhead for simpleton navigation products.

One thing i have not seen mentioned in the thread: I currently have a East/Central database in the 430w, will I need a new card in order to fit an all-US database or similar wide area, or does the existing card have the ability to hold the larger database? I'd love for my moving map not to look like a satellite picture of nighttime North/South Korea, when I fly west of El Paso.... :D
current card is fine - when ya buy a new card they only offer one size

I've found the one time update good enough for my kind of operation. I don't file IFR regularly, when I do it's just in order to blast through a mickey mouse layer and go direct ("slant golf or I don't go!" is my war chant :D), otherwise arriving at destinations with VOR/ILS services or visual approach/VFR weather. In an emergency, I'm shooting a GPS approach with an expired database or a handheld anyways. I can see if I tried to keep the thing updated all the time it would become a detractor from the avocation; it'd surely tick me off to have such an overhead for simpleton navigation products.

One thing i have not seen mentioned in the thread: I currently have a East/Central database in the 430w, will I need a new card in order to fit an all-US database or similar wide area, or does the existing card have the ability to hold the larger database? I'd love for my moving map not to look like a satellite picture of nighttime North/South Korea, when I fly west of El Paso.... :D

I have the full US and Canada on mine.

I wish some of the coding folks would take the same govt supplied data Garmin uses and make a open source update resource for aviation GPSs, probably require less skill than writing the code to jailbreak a iphone....

This really surprises me as well. It's not like we're talking about some kinda proprietary data here. It's all out there and available. Hell most of us have tablets with all the data in them in various app forms, they just aren't IFR certified. I don't expect the updates to be free, as there is continual work involved, but Jeppesen is definitely using their monopoly to their advantage here.

I fly an Apollo GX the Jepp 1 time updates are now $175.00 I am looking into buying a years cycle and sharing/splitting it with others as I really only need 1 or 2 updates a year

I believe as stated by someone else it is legal for enroute usage only not for the terminal and approach environment. Another thing to consider is some aircraft use GPS data in lieu of DME for DME. for instance most G1000 equipped aircraft get DME information from the G1000 and not normal DME (unless you pay for the actual DME option installed) So the question then is could you use an expired database for DME information on a VOR approach lets say? I think this answer get's extremely detailed and really depends on what you plan on using your GPS for and the overall equipment in your aircraft. I have a yearly subscription and keep mine current since almost all my flying is IFR flight plans, and the airport I visit most often only has GPS approaches. However I have flown it once IFR without a current database and filed the appropriate equipment. Once I was airborne the controller asked If my GPS was broken or just had an expired database. I responded just an expired database and he then said "ah okay so you can accept direct to in the en-route environment" and sent me direct a fix

Back