Expired Charts and A/FDs

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
I am trying to figure out the best way to "dispose" of my expired sectional charts and airport/facility directories. I definitely want to keep them out of the landfill, but even the paper recycling bin doesn't seem like the best way to discard them. It seems like they could be put to better use (flight sim players, student pilots, etc).

What do you guys do with yours?

Charts make great wrapping paper, but some people don't get it- those people, that is, who are not pilots.

I have all my charts sent to the office. They don't know what to do with the expired ones (also, the NACO label on the box that states that they are 'critical to navigation safety' scares them), so I have about 2 years worth of charts in a box somewhere :)

-felix

I've heard of the wrapping paper idea, but my wife does most of the wrapping around here (my wrapping doesn't meet her standards). I mentioned the idea to her and she laughed out loud at me... I think that means "not going to happen".

Wrapping paper, though? Really?!?

I am trying to figure out the best way to "dispose" of my expired sectional charts and airport/facility directories. I definitely want to keep them out of the landfill, but even the paper recycling bin doesn't seem like the best way to discard them. It seems like they could be put to better use (flight sim players, student pilots, etc).

I just throw them out the window into the creek while driving home from the airport.......:D

I've heard of the wrapping paper idea, but my wife does most of the wrapping around here (my wrapping doesn't meet her standards). I mentioned the idea to her and she laughed out loud at me... I think that means "not going to happen".

Wrapping paper, though? Really?!?
They make pretty cool envelopes for pilots. Although with email, who writes letters anymore :aureola:

Charts? Who uses charts? It would look pretty silly to use a GPS as wrapping paper.

We collect TAC, Sectional, and WAC charts and use them during the annual [thread=6990]Girl Scout Aerospace Badge Day[/thread] at DuPage, hosted by the Chicago Chapter of the 99s. Now, it may not happen in 2009 because the Chicago chapter is also the host of the International Convention in 2009, but we'll accept them and use them in 2010.

Ask your local High School if they have a use for them.

I keep the most recently expired in the hanger as back up. The rest go in the burn barrel at the house.

recycle or packing material

I like the packing material idea! I'd use them as wrapping paper, but I think my wife would hit me. I could get away with the packing paper idea, though!

rottydaddy said:
Definitely offer them up to simmers- I often see requests here, and other places. Maybe the deal could be you ship 'em COD. I might take a few myself...

Let me know if you want any of mine, lord knows I have enough expired plates every time Jep sends a new 9000 page update. I spend a lot of time in your neck of the woods these days, actually...:yesnod:

Send the sectional charts to me! (Anyone who wants to PM me for Address) I'm going to wall paper my study with them. (If I get enough, I'll post pictures when I'm done)

Not sure what to do with the AFD's they just don't make as nice of wall paper.

Last edited:
I keep all unique charts/AFDs, in the hopes that someday I'll have them all, both for simming, and for research reasons.

That said, if you have some, I'll take 'em from ya.

Also - wrapping works great, wallpaper, and also, lighting BBQs/Fireplaces.

edit: Dammit, Missa was first....lol

I keep all unique charts/AFDs, in the hopes that someday I'll have them all, both for simming, and for research reasons.

That said, if you have some, I'll take 'em from ya.

Also - wrapping works great, wallpaper, and also, lighting BBQs/Fireplaces.

edit: Dammit, Missa was first....lol

I send you the left overs.... if I have any.

Mine goes on the wall for planning across sides of the sectional. Clear tape and 2 expired sectionals covers become one giant sectional covering 98% of where I fly. I look at it and visualize the great circle to my destination then deviate around terrain & airspace.

Wrapping paper or VATSIM buddies for the charts. The AFD's are used for firestarting. Might be good in an outhouse too!

We have a slew of charts from the headers being sent back for credit. I hand them out for practice flight planning lessons.

I keep expired local sectionals and give them to people I take on first-time flights. They love 'em.

I've given them to pax, enthusiasts, wrapped presents with them, but I also keep the oldest (for nostalgia value someday), the most recently expired (for flight planning at home), and the current (in the flight bag) ones for myself.

Throw 'em in a box, sell 'em on eBay in 40 years. :yes:

Back