Experimenting with my Garmin GLO

Black85vette

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rick Martin
I have had my GLO for several years starting with a laptop then moving to an Android tablet for use in my 4wd. We went to the mountains and used a topo map by Delorme and I really liked how well the GLO worked for that. So now I have been using it with a Galaxy Tab E running Fltplan Go for aviation and Maps.me for off line road map use.

Today I was testing concurrent connections and was pleased that I could connect directly to Fltplan using the external tab, selecting Garmin, and then pairing with the GLO. That connects the GLO directly to Fltplan as an external ADSB (with no ADSB functions) GPS. This also overrides the internal GPS if present.

Then I paired a spare iPhone to the GLO and used Google maps on it.

I also paired my Galaxy S8 phone but used Bluetooth GPS app to be the mock GPS provider. Using that app I set Fltplan Go to use the internal Android GPS. Bluetooth GPS takes over control of the GPS and substitutes the external GPS as the source for other apps. I like the Bluetooth GPS app because it has a status of all the GPS information, a map and bar graph of all the satellites, and you can view the actual NEMA data stream as well as capture it to a log.

Anyway, it is really versatile and can run at least three concurrent connections using three different methods. Yes, I am an addicted map geek and sit and play with my GPS toys. :)

Anyone else using the GLO as a primary GPS source?

I use it with a TF700 for anywhere map.

awm has been around for a long time. I have had their lifetime for over a decade. They still put out database updates but software development is essentially dead. They still do not offer ads-b integration in any of their versions.

The awm pro version which only runs on windows was arguably the best of any for a long time and still has features not available elsewhere. Features such as the emergency view which painted an arc on the ground representing point of ground impact based on rate of descent and forward speed. Features such as the ability to customize views extensively. I am not running awm pro anymore simply because I prefer the android hardware.

If I didn't have lifetime and wasn't so familiar with its operation, I would likely go elsewhere today for an EFB.

We first started with the GLO and Garmin Pilot. We were using a Android tablet was and still is mounted on the panel and i was worried the android gps might be blocked the way/location mounted. The GLO worked great. Since our backup tablet is a non celluar ipad mini the GLO would also feed it. We now have a GDL39 and it pairs with both. But i always keep the GLO charged and clipped on the visor in case the gdl dies. I recall the glo battery life being really good. Just wish it had a later usb connector, nothing else in the plane uses that old style connector.

My GLO battery lasted about 3 years and then suddenly went downhill and stopped holding much of a charge (<one flight hour). I ended up upgrading my iPad and now use the internal GPS so the GLO is now RIP in my "out of service electronics" coffin.

Anybody got any advice on replacing the battery without having to order a new one from a Garmin at their stupid price?

Last edited:
My GLO battery lasted about 3 years and then suddenly went downhill and stopped holding much of a charge (<one flight hour). I ended up upgrading my iPad and now use the internal GPS so the GLO is now RIP in my "out of service electronics" coffin.

Anybody got any advice on replacing the battery without having to order a new one from a Garmin at their stupid price?
Wire in a power plug and just leave the glo plugged in at all times. Alternately, sell it as limited battery life and get new. I don't know or have much concern with battery life as I leave it plugged in.

I have owned maybe a dozen Garmin GPS units over the years and sent two in for repair. On one that was my fault for breaking the glass and told them so, they fixed under warranty anyway. I would check with them and see what they offer. The battery is user replaceable but I do not see them listed for sale. Try Garmin support and let us know also.

Another alternative is to get an Anker battery and run off it. Not as convenient as the internal but you can still put it where you want it and also have reserve power for phone or tablet. I use a larger one of these to run a Stratux.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=pd_sbs_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0194WDVHI&pd_rd_r=4JBYE8RKR2FQNH3R08ZF&pd_rd_w=mL0vq&pd_rd_wg=Ff9CB&psc=1&refRID=4JBYE8RKR2FQNH3R08ZF

<EDIT> This is a good question so I emailed Garmin support asking how to get a battery and will post their reply

Last edited:
I put my Glo in a drawer when I upgraded my iPad 1 to a newer model with internal GPS. Never cared for the Glo. Definitely prefer internal GPS.

I’ve got the Gaia app on my devices. Also use Earthmate with the Inreach occasionally. Also have Garmin Pilot so another topo map source. My phone packs more capability as a handheld GPS than I need. Sometimes I play with it in camp at night but generally I don’t use it while hunting or hiking.

Did some poking around with Google and found one reference to the battery which is 010-10840-00. I found cross references to; BTC-GM10SL,361-00031-00,
IA4V310A2. I see that the Garmin Mobile 10X which is the same form factor lists the 010-10840-00 battery. Interesting that the 10x battery is listed on Amazon but not the GLO and it is not listed by its part number. Battery specs are the same and looks the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Sino-1100mAh-Battery-Garmin/dp/B01M7OQUB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533739858&sr=8-1&keywords=010-10840-00

Didn't expect such a quick response from Garmin. Their email said to call them at 866-739-5687 to purchase the battery from them. Cost is $24.99 and add $5.00 shipping.

Can't think of a good reason this is not available through a dealer or the Garmin website but at least we know the answer.

BTW; since a couple of you posted you no longer use your Garmin GLO, let me know if you want to sell it. I have a friend who is working towards his ATP and likes mine. He might be interested in a used one. Let me know and I will pass along the info. Tnx.

Back