Experimental Exhibition

j3cubcapt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
J3CubCapt
Anyone converted to Experimental Exhibition like Kyle Bushman and others?
(Search Facebook "Kyle Bushman live")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not converted, but my German built Sailplane is certified as Experimental Exhibition.
Being a single place racing glider it not much of a restriction. I don’t have to worry about wanting to carry passengers, every flight is a practice flight for an exhibition i.e racing, if I am not actually participating in a racing contest. Even better it is old enough it received its airworthiness certificate prior to the Annual Program letter requirement.

Brian
LS6b

My understanding is that experimental exhibition is ok if you don’t want to carry passengers and only want to do local test/practice/currency flights except when actually flying to/from and participating in exhibition events. With the program letter requirement you have to notify the FAA of all the events you are going to participate in, and will be assigned a designated practice area for testing/practice/currency flights.

Last edited:
Not converted, but my German built Sailplane is certified as Experimental Exhibition.
Being a single place racing glider it not much of a restriction. I don’t have to worry about wanting to carry passengers, every flight is a practice flight for an exhibition i.e racing, if I am not actually participating in a racing contest. Even better it is old enough it received its airworthiness certificate prior to the Annual Program letter requirement.

Brian
LS6b

My understanding is that experimental exhibition is ok if you don’t want to carry passengers and only want to do local test/practice/currency flights except when actually flying to/from and participating in exhibition events. With the program letter requirement you have to notify the FAA of all the events you are going to participate in, and will be assigned a designated practice area for testing/practice/currency flights.

I have been working with the DER Kyle recommended.
Actually you can fly passengers after your flight test time. You do have a restricted area during that test time but after that you can fly other places

Anyone converted to Experimental Exhibition
Have assisted in a number of them. So long as you're good with the restrictions and can meet the basic requirements to the satisfaction of your local FSDO its usually painless. But may want to read through the link below for the process and check with your insurance provider before moving forward.
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1031547
I have been working with the DER
FYI: you'll also need the services of a DAR as well which you might ask your DER for recommendations.

I have been working with the DER Kyle recommended.
Actually you can fly passengers after your flight test time. You do have a restricted area during that test time but after that you can fly other places

A quick browsing of FAA Order 8130.2J seems to indicate the following in Part...

Here is what it says about the Program Letter...
b. Exhibition. The program letter should— (1) Provide event names and dates for the events at which the aircraft will be exhibited. (2) Propose route(s) of flight to and from the events. (3) For proficiency and/or maintenance flights, include the estimated number of flight hours and the intended area and airports in which the aircraft will be operated.

If I read it correctly, with some exceptions you Operating limitations will probably says something like this....
No person may be carried in this aircraft during the exhibition of the aircraft’s flight capabilities, performance, or unusual characteristics at air shows, or for motion picture, television, or similar productions, unless essential for the purpose of the flight. (Refer to FAA Order 8900.1.) Persons may be carried during flights to and from any event or during proficiency/currency flying, limited to the design seating capacity of the aircraft and subject to the regulatory prohibition on compensation. (59)

Brian

Last edited:
My FSDO (DFW) has already approved the test area, but Im way behind on the build (Life pressures). I did in deed use a DAR, but mistyped the DER, sorry.
BTW, I found the link to Kyles FB video if anyone is interested.
https://fb.watch/hId45NzCBa/

Have assisted in a number of them. So long as you're good with the restrictions and can meet the basic requirements to the satisfaction of your local FSDO it’s usually painless. But may want to read through the link below for the process and check with your insurance provider before moving forward.
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1031547

FYI: you'll also need the services of a DAR as well which you might ask your DER for recommendations.

Wouldn't that have been E/R&D?

He was always touting how treat experimental/exhibition was.

Personally, I suspect the OP could make most or all the proposed alterations that have been mentioned and not mess with switching to Ex/EX.

Wouldn't that have been E/R&D?
R&D is for testing new equipment, etc only. Plus it has a finite timeframe in which to operate. Once you prove your concept is valid and safe the usual path is to move to Experimental Exhibition so you can fly it around and show it off.

I converted one about 10 yrs ago. After phase I testing, there was no practice area, which should be typical these days. Without a limited practice area, the program letter is just something you have to file, but which doesn't actually mean anything since you are not actually limited to flying to just the events or locations listed in the program letter. In reality the EE category is no more restrictive these days than EAB. It's not the same as it was 20 years ago.

Back