Experimental Bonanza

Trade up! If you don't like the engine pull it and put in what ever you want. ;)

How about a Subaru powered Bo? :lol: :nono:

I would if he'd lower the price at least $70,000 or so. It needs at least $70K put into it to make it a $100,000 plane.

I'm not so sure the experimental certificate is the same as the one on your RV10.

I'd pull the Lycoming, sell it and toss on an IO-550 and try to get the type cert straightened out, and a panel redo. I'd be a buyer at $30,000.

I agree all bonanzas have a 1600 UL off paper...the turbo A36 I used to fly had 1286, the tips and turbo will give you an increase on Max GW but not that much.

Kind of an ugly bonanza IMO

The STC cert probably stopped during the test flight phase when the V-tail started vibrating like DA sander.

I would if he'd lower the price at least $70,000 or so. It needs at least $70K put into it to make it a $100,000 plane.

I'm not so sure the experimental certificate is the same as the one on your RV10.

I'd pull the Lycoming, sell it and toss on an IO-550 and try to get the type cert straightened out, and a panel redo. I'd be a buyer at $30,000.

It is "Experimental Exhibition". You are right not the same as "Experimental Amateur Built". It is a little more restrictive, but not bad at all. You have to let the local FSDO know if you leave a certain distance from your home drome. No big deal, you just email or fax them and tell them where you are going. You don't have to get their permission, just let them know. I owned one years ago, it really was no big deal.

It is "Experimental Exhibition". You are right not the same as "Experimental Amateur Built". It is a little more restrictive, but not bad at all. You have to let the local FSDO know if you leave a certain distance from your home drome. No big deal, you just email or fax them and tell them where you are going. You don't have to get their permission, just let them know. I owned one years ago, it really was no big deal.

no commercial ops, no international travel and the TC is invalid if you make a major change.

No big deal? Right...

How about IFR and night ops?

Took a nice airframe and made it worthless. If he wanted to do that he should have started with a P-58 Baron fuselage for pressurization. Right now the plane has an engine on it that will cost the value of replacing the plane with a Standard AW and 520 to overhaul. This plane just makes no sense. Best thing to do with it is put a 520 or 550 on it, square away the Airworthiness back to Standard/Utility and sell the engine to someone with a Duke or 56TC Baron as a spare. Considering the logbooks are gone, what we have here is a $10,000 airframe at best.

Needs a major upgrade in the panel,also wouldn't be crazy about all that power with the v tail.

Thanks for the laughs guys. Quite an amusing thread.
Ask me or any of the previous owners how much we love flying this machine before you knock it. :D

Ask me or any of the previous owners how much we love flying this machine before you knock it. :D

Did the fact that it hasn't sold in a year factor into the decision to raise the price $10K? There must be a lot of demand for oddball Bonanza's with flight restrictions and poor fuel efficiency that I'm not aware of. I'm sure it's a blast to fly, probably complete with some handling quirks, but I would hate to find out I had $109,000 in it.

I'm sure it's fun to fly, still doesn't make it worth $120k. BTW, what kind of O2 system do you use at FL280?

Nope. The fact that we recovered the airworthiness certificate and operating limitations (that the previous owner had mysteriously lost when the plane was repo'd) increased the value of the plane. :)

I'm no expert, but usually a repo will decrease the ultimate value of an asset. It is certainly true for houses, cars, motorcycles, and boats. I can't see that an airplane would be different, unless of course you recovered a STANDARD AW cert with STCs for the engine/prop. Or, is it still exp exhibition?

Friend has a turbine conversion, PT-6 I believe. Seemed like a better choice than the bug Lyc.

IFR/night yes.
Exp exhib yes. It will forever be unless you know a really good DER willing to sign a field approval for the engine installation and wingtip tanks. :yes:

Glad to see the owner (or previous owner, perhaps) chime in.

No doubt, that ship is not for everyone, but it will be fun for someone....

It only needs one person to love that plane... And what a hot-rod!

What's that famous P.T. Barnum quote I'm thinking of ........?

Mr. Barnum's oft-repeated quote is inapplicable here; whomever bought this plane knew exactly what they were getting, and is likely tickled pink.

I can think of lots of other toys that cost more money and wouldn't be half the fun.

After my 1st airplane being so underpowered for where I flew from…

You can't have too much horsepower under the cowing

And God help you trying to sell it once you grow tired of wanting it.

Which you know when you buy. I've bought many things I know would be difficult to sell. But, I hang on to machines, and get every last dollar of use out of them so I don't worry about it.

Back