Exhaust manifold cracked ... dangit!

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
It's always something. :rolleyes:

We de-cowled my old 0-470R Conti today for an oil change and now I'm grounded with an exhaust manifold crack.

My advice query is, I'm not planning on selling this plane anytime soon and the entire exhaust stack looks like Hogan's goat, so would you just replace it with a new one? Cost between repair and new? I dream of a swanky tuned dual exhaust, but ouch$!

You might try these guys.

http://www.knisleywelding.com

I *think* this is who "repaired" mine...it'll basically be an all new exhaust with one little piece of your old system welded to one corner to make it a "legal repair."

My log books aren't here right now so I can't check to confirm these were my guys.

If you want AWI off the shelf call Reeve Air Motive in Anchorage. I replaced my own exhaust a few years ago with a new Acorn system. Bye, bye clamps. Very happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 66
Wall Colmonoy - the rebuild on the TSIO-360 system has lasted longer than the Continental piping and still looks to be in good shape

If you want AWI off the shelf call Reeve Air Motive in Anchorage. I replaced my own exhaust a few years ago with a new Acorn system. Bye, bye clamps. Very happy.

Stew, I don't see a hose to your heat box .... ?

Edit in: Oh I see it, it's just off ...

It's always something. :rolleyes:

We de-cowled my old 0-470R Conti today for an oil change and now I'm grounded with an exhaust manifold crack.

My advice query is, I'm not planning on selling this plane anytime soon and the entire exhaust stack looks like Hogan's goat, so would you just replace it with a new one? Cost between repair and new? I dream of a swanky tuned dual exhaust, but ouch$!

Your chance to go with a Powerflow or other TriY tuned header, and you will be able to run smooth LOP.;)

You want opposite cylinders to Y together, then the three go to a collector. That will give you the best scavenging. Then you run out a collector pipe and draw down it with a yellow lumber keel. After a run, where the line burn off ends and line starts, that's where to cut it off.

Last edited:
That picture was taken during the install. The cabin heat duct is typical of other Skywagons. I had Atlee Dodge add an outlet to the shroud to supply carb heat. My old system had a heat robber on the risers. The new system is much, much more effective.

Your chance to go with a Powerflow or other TriY tuned header, and you will be able to run smooth LOP.;)

You want opposite cylinders to Y together, then the three go to a collector. That will give you the best scavenging. Then you run out a collector pipe and draw down it with a yellow lumber keel. After a run, where the line burn off ends and line starts, that's where to cut it off.

Who would you get to sign that off?

Knisley has great products for the O-470. We have both a Knisley exhaust manifold and muffler (bought new, not repaired). Built very well, and they are great to work with.

Turns out a couple years ago I ended up working with a well driller who had worked in Knisley's shop for awhile, and he had good words about them as well.

Once it starts breaking it will continue to nickel dime you.

do the whole thing now, by these guys

http://www.acornwelding.com/productsExhaust.htm

Acorn rebuilt the engine mount/nosegear mount on the 'kota - fine workmanship delivered on time and on estimate. On the welding I could only find a couple very small areas of slight undercutting - I'm sure they were within spec. Other folks may be a little cheaper but they certainly won't be better.

Whatever doesn't cost $6000.00 or pizzes off my A&P because he doesn't like to install custom stuff. He's old school and busy busy....

I don't know what I'm doing .... but if the entire system has to go, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get something better.

Last edited:
Who would you get to sign that off?

Powerflow or whomever else. Heck, I'll build it with materials that meet spec and it will be a true owner produced part. This is just a minor modification.

Aircraft exhaust.com has these ... they look like they have less seams and clamps than mine... 1964 C-180G

PE24TB42.jpg

No, that's not what you want, you want to see scavenging. Call Powerflow.

I don't know what that system from exhaust.com costs, but Powerflow is $6000.00

Then I'd probably have to do something immoral to get Ron to install it.... :lol:

Stewart, did you say your system is in stock and they just drop ship it?

I don't know what that system from exhaust.com costs, but Powerflow is $6000.00

Then I'd probably have to do something immoral to get Ron to install it.... :lol:

It'll be worth it if you fly a lot. Running LOP not only saves you fuel, it saves you cylinder money in reduced carbon deposits. Plus you'll pick up some take off and climb power.

It'll be worth it if you fly a lot. Running LOP not only saves you fuel, it saves you cylinder money in reduced carbon deposits.

I thought we've been all through this. My induction system is so grossly inefficient, running LOP will only burn cylinders up. That's much more costly than running her a little rich and dirty.

I did switch to Phillips X/C today however, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I said Reeve Air Motive has Aerospace Welding's components on the wall. I called Jeff at Acorn and had him ship me a complete system because I think they make the best one out there, and unlike Knisely, they make a muffler shroud. Acorn has a reinforced tailpipe and the shroud is dammed and cut out in that popular cracking area to minimize CO potential. Their extended tailpipe is STC approved as well. I have nothing bad to say about the other guys, I chose Acorn and am sharing a few reasons why. Cheers.

I thought we've been all through this. My induction system is so grossly inefficient, running LOP will only burn cylinders up. That's much more costly than running her a little rich and dirty.

I did switch to Phillips X/C today however, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

Your induction system is grossly inefficient due to your exhaust system. The tuned exhaust will equalize the scavenging flow between cylinders to balance your intake flow. You can balance the difference in the primary tubes against the difference in the inlet tube length to get a balanced full flow. The key is for each path length from the beginning of the induction (mouth of the carb) to the end of the collector to be the same.

I said Reeve Air Motive has Aerospace Welding's components on the wall. I called Jeff at Acorn and had him ship me a complete system because I think they make the best one out there, and unlike Knisely, they make a muffler shroud. Acorn has a reinforced tailpipe and the shroud is dammed and cut out in that popular cracking area to minimize CO potential. Their extended tailpipe is STC approved as well. I have nothing bad to say about the other guys, I chose Acorn and am sharing a few reasons why. Cheers.

O.k. Thanks! :)

Your induction system is grossly inefficient due to your exhaust system. The tuned exhaust will equalize the scavenging flow between cylinders to balance your intake flow. You can balance the difference in the primary tubes against the difference in the inlet tube length to get a balanced full flow. The key is for each path length from the beginning of the induction (mouth of the carb) to the end of the collector to be the same.

No, it is grossly inefficient because of the haphazard, leak-prone design of the induction system.

No, it is grossly inefficient because of the haphazard, leak-prone design of the induction system.

Plenty of room for improvement, balancing the system is the number one performance and efficiency gain per $ you get.

Powerflow or whomever else. Heck, I'll build it with materials that meet spec and it will be a true owner produced part. This is just a minor modification.

Owner produced parts can not be a new design.

I don't even want to get into the calculations for payback running LOP for a $6000.00 exhaust system.

Besides, I'm a simple guy. KISS is my motto.

I agree, I've done several systems from them, they fit, and last.

unless they approval in the very resent past, they don't have anything considered a tuned exhaust for the 182.

Exactly. And given how large the STC market is for 182s, I think they've tested it already and found little performance gain for the money. Even if it could make it easier to run LOP, the fraction of 182 pilots who would be willing to fly LOP, and want to invest in both the exhaust system and the engine monitoring system needed to make it possible is too small.

FWIW, we just pulled our old muffler shroud off, cleaned it up with oven cleaner, and slapped it on the new Knisley muffler. Pretty simple.

I have dealt with Knisley welding many times over the years, they once would build complete exhaust systems for Cessna's aircraft and they got sued over that because they had no PMA.

Now they only do repairs, but do them well.

Exactly. And given how large the STC market is for 182s, I think they've tested it already and found little performance gain for the money. Even if it could make it easier to run LOP, the fraction of 182 pilots who would be willing to fly LOP, and want to invest in both the exhaust system and the engine monitoring system needed to make it possible is too small.

Nailed it. :)

Great, so you were relying on 19-year old information.

It's probably been longer than that, but yeah, I want them to sell me a new Hanlon & Wilson heater for my 170, they said they could not, and sited the cessna thing, that was last year.

And yes I took the young lady's word for it. and no I did not get her name. she said they needed a data tag from the muffler to do a repair.

Maybe I threw them a curve when I asked for a product by name, I don't know, I don't care, I got one over night from Acorn.

Back