Exercise?

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
Those of you who know me, either personally or through the forum, know that I am retired and work part time as a lifeguard supervisor or as a lifeguard. During the fall and winter I lifeguard a lot for lap swimmers and water aerobics classes. Because I am 61 years old, and because I have to meet the same requirements at monthly in-service as the twenty year olds, I hit the gym or the pool pretty regularly. Up until recently I have been getting much of my exercise outside. Riding my bicycle to work every day and running with lots of swimming as well. The last month or so however, I have been going to the gym. So I am running into a lot of people who I know from the pool. I ran into a couple of them at a spin class I started last week. I see several lifting weights. My wife runs into some of them at her yoga classes. A lot of these people are retired. It looks to me like some of them just exercise all the time. Several times a day. They go from one class to the next. These are not young people. OK, so my question here is how many of you exercise regularly, what do you do, how do you fit it into your schedule, and how old are you?

Gym every other evening during the week. Treadmill work, then laps in the pool. I have gone to a few classes but Zumba is WAY too crowded and I'm afraid I'm going to get a good whap in the eye from it. Yoga was fantastic and I did that for a few months, I need to get back into it.

Wkds are for bike rides, although as it gets colder I'll probably replace that with either the gym or merely bundling up and going for a walk.

Before this spring (when I bought a new bike and decided to train for a century, and also before I joined my local gym) I was walking regularly. 5 miles per day on the wkd, and probably 2 miles every other day during the work week.

Actually, when the days are longer, I use the gym less and am outside more.

The only reason I didn't do the century this fall is because immediately after my return from France I had a fairly serious medical issue to deal with and wasn't allowed to do much of anything for many weeks. That killed all the training. I finally got back on my bike the very wkd of the century ride. It was a bummer, because as of late August I was riding almost 70 miles just on the wkd. I would have been ready to go, no sweat, by mid-October.

Since we moved back to Lancaster County I have been back on the road bike riding 17-25 miles 2-4 times a week (work and weather).

Last physical (turned 50 last Wed) results: 110/80 BP, 65 resting heart rate, 180 lbs (down from 205 6 months ago). I sleep well, eat anything, and have less to lift for my power-challenged bird.

And I get to watch beautiful scenery roll by, think grand thoughts, and make up lists of stuff I forget anyway.

When I get the urge to exercise, I usually lie down until it passes. :)

Here's an ironic situation - we ordered a treadmill as an early Christmas gift to ourselves. It was delivered yesterday. I hurt my back moving it into the office last night. Wunnerful! :)

I guess the "TWO MAN LIFT" warning was serious. It was only 190 lbs. :(

Spend a half hour at Curves every morning (except Sunday) plus do a 5 mile walk around the neighborhood every morning (except when it gets below 4C -- I stopped doing that about 10 years ago).

I understand your curiosity. There are a number of women at Curves that ALSO go to the aquatic center PLUS Planet Fitness PLUS Defined Fitness PLUS to the Senior Center (for exercise, not Bingo), so ......
If you spend the whole day exercising, what's the point of existing? :rolleyes2:

Btw, I'm 63 going on 64

I have an excercise bike in the hangar (ran out of room in the basement). Does that count?

Park the car at the shopping center 1/2 mile from the office. Walk to work in the morning. Walk back in the evening.

I run. Twice a day, most every day. Total 12-33 miles per day.

I also do a 15-min warm-up (walk-jog-trot) before each run and a 15-min cool-down after each run - about 1 mile for each.

Twice a week I do plyometrics and strength training (mostly body-weight exercises with some kettlebell).

I'm older than I once was and younger than I'll be.

I mostly go trail biking when the weather is nice, but I'm in northeast Ohio so during the winter months, I'm not quite as active aside from working as a ramper and occasional skiing. My fiance wants us to get a month-by-month gym membership for the winters but our schedules have been pretty packed lately, and we haven't gotten a chance to try that out yet.

I hit the gym and lift weight (weight machines) and do 2-3 miles on the stair steppers 2 -4 times a week.

This time of year I cut 3-5 cords of wood for heat. Throwing a chain saw around and stacking wood after splitting it is a good work out, but not cardio.

I also do a lot of yard work and maintance of all my equipment.

Last edited:
My elliptical works great. I've been hanging my clothes on it and they all seem to be getting smaller :D

I've worked out my entire life, up until a few years ago, now I don't do much of anything and it is showing. I'm hoping to retire January 1st. My plan is to start walking every day and start doing my MA warm ups again.

Good health is a temporary condition that only exercise and eating healthy can prolong. Every year the FAA makes me go through a more than complete physical and a full medical work up, including an MRI. I just finished that last month, so I know my health is excellent.

I'll be 69 on Friday.

John

The Sac Arrow works out every morning in the gym, 7 days a week. If I go even one day without exercise, I feel really cranky and uptight. This is problematic when I travel and I travel a lot for work.

My routine consists of a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio, although recently I've been doing an hour, on a stationary bike or elliptical machine. Homie don't do treadmills, too hard on the knees. I follow that by weights. I alternate between "push" days and "pull" days so I don't work the same major muscle groups consecutively. Push days are bench press, shoulder press, curls, and other related exercises. Pull days are lat pulls, reverse deltoid flys, and row pulls. I do abs every other day.

I don't bother with leg exercises - I get enough from cardio plus I ride a bicycle a lot during the weekends. I usually do from about 40 to 60 miles in a weekend, at least in the warmer weather.

I do my workouts early morning. I wake up at zero dark thirty, and I'm sleeping in the shorts and shirt I'm going to work out in. I grab my gym bag, run out the door, and get the long commute to work out of the way while there is no traffic, work out, shower and dress at a gym near work. On weekends I just use a local gym close to home (I belong to one of those gyms that have lots of locations and have the membership option to use them all.)

hmmm, well I spent part of yesterday doing Zumba (I lie), actually I was swinging a screaming grinder back and forth over corroded 45 foot steel booms off our field sprayer (frame off restoration in progress)...
Today will be more of the same...
And tomorrow - well in the morning I have to go meet a new accountant to see how much the stinking politicians get to rip off my flesh this year to give to their constituents who don't work and won't work... But in the afternoon I expect to be doing more of the old 'Zumba' swing... We will pull the 500 gallon tank off the frame so I can do that - once I have the zillion parts of the spray booms ground smooth, surface treated for rust, and a coat of epoxy primer on them... I probably have a solid 40 hours of grinder swinging to do all told for this project...

Dance, we don't need no stinking dance... We're farmers...

denny-o

John, once you retire it is easy to vegetate and hard to motivate...
I am impressed with the responses on here... Seems many have more motivation than I...

denny-o

I work out with a group outside each morning. Very motivational. Until I joined 5+ years ago, I ran but did little else.

I workout 2-3 times per day (except when work gets in the way, like right now, where I'm living in a hotel for 4 months) during the week and take weekends off, except for running. I run in the morning, do body weight exercises and polymetrics for lunch, (pull-ups, dips, box jumps, etc.) and if I'm around a pool will swim for 15-30 minutes, which is .5 - 1 mile freestyle in the evening.

Running is all done with a heart rate monitor and my running cycle is:
Day 1: Zone 2 for 1 hour
Day 2: Zone 3 for 35 min
Day 3: Zone 3 for 35 min
Day 4: Zone 4-5 for 30-40 min, a tempo run every other week and sprints the other week
Day 5: rest

Weight lifting is one continues set consisting of 11-13 exercises followed by 1 minute of rest for 3 repetitions: usually takes about 10-25 minutes
Pull-ups 10-20
Dips 10-20
25-40lbs kettle ball or dumbbell for
Arnold press 10-15
front 8-10
side 8-10
rear 8-10
shrugs 10-15
curl 10-15
tri ext 10-15
bent over row 10-15
squats 15-20
lunges 15-20
calve raises 15-20

I do triathlons. I work out 6 days a week most weeks. Mix of running, biking, swimming, and strength training. Sometimes a bike/run brick, or a swim/bike brick depending on where I am in the season. Load and duration also varies with season. Right now I am enjoying the winter recovery time - much lighter workouts.

I'm as old as my gums, and just a little older than my teeth. (Name the movie...)

When I get the urge to exercise, I usually lie down until it passes. :)

Here's an ironic situation - we ordered a treadmill as an early Christmas gift to ourselves. It was delivered yesterday. I hurt my back moving it into the office last night. Wunnerful! :)

I guess the "TWO MAN LIFT" warning was serious. It was only 190 lbs. :(

Sounds like me.

190 pounds is light. I'm glad the two guys who delivered the new gun safe on Tuesday had a lift gate on the truck and a pallet jack. Plus they got there early and had it installed by the time I got home (late). That's the right way to move heavy items. :D

Back