EXCLUSIVE: Delta Flight 589 Loses Window After Takeoff! Complete Pilot / ATC Audio!

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
A little much with the captions, and 500 mph? o_O:D

Minneapolis, MN - October 23, 2018 at 16:24 UTC (1:24PM CT) Delta Flight 589 (737) loses cabin pressure and has flight speed winds rushing into the cockpit. The pilot squawk 7700 to declare an emergency. The following is the communications between KMSP Air Traffic Control and the pilots of flight 589. As you will see, the pilots did everything they could to keep this aircraft flying; they were NOT able to hear communications and were basically flying in a very dangerous situation for about 15 minutes until they landed.

One of the service animals probably opened the window. You know how dogs love that.

3765700615_72445ffc55_o.jpg

Lost the outer pane on the pilot's side of the 737 in my avatar, on the way from Rockford,IL to Denver at 36000'. Sounded like a pistol shot when it shattered. Didn't bust the inner pane. One big WTF when it happened. Knew immediately we were all right cause nothing was flying around the cockpit. Immediate precautionary descent to 15000' with calls to MTC on the way. ATC very accomodating. Landed at DEN. MTC met us, checked everything out, removed the shattered outer pane and said good to go. Flew back to RFD where they replaced the outer pane. The inner pane is about half again as thick as the outer because it is the pressure pane. 737 is authorized to operte without the outer panes on the windscree

@eman1200 you're in rare form today, aintcha!

I see a lot of praise for the pilots in the graphics... I wonder if the window opened because they failed to secure it in the first place...

"Hello tower. This is Cadet Dumbjohn. I've lost my headset. Landing instructions, please."

One company I worked for had the right windshield depart a C-414 while climbing through 12,000 MSL at night in winter. When it left, it took the glare shield, every loose piece of paper, the pilots headset and glasses. He turned around and did a normal landing. Untowered airport so no one to talk to on the radio.

After landing, the pilot said two words..... "It's cold"....

The pilot, med crew and patient loaded up in another plane and took right off, leaving the windshieldless plane sitting on the ramp waiting for maintenance.

Lost the outer pane on the pilot's side of the 737 in my avatar, on the way from Rockford,IL to Denver at 36000'. Sounded like a pistol shot when it shattered. Didn't bust the inner pane. One big WTF when it happened. Knew immediately we were all right cause nothing was flying around the cockpit. Immediate precautionary descent to 15000' with calls to MTC on the way. ATC very accomodating. Landed at DEN. MTC met us, checked everything out, removed the shattered outer pane and said good to go. Flew back to RFD where they replaced the outer pane. The inner pane is about half again as thick as the outer because it is the pressure pane. 737 is authorized to operte without the outer panes on the windscree

From looking into the OP's incident a little more, it sounds more like the cockpit window opened on takeoff.

Thanks for the post! http://avherald.com/h?article=4bf6199a&opt=0

"DL-589 stopped the climb at about 7000 feet and returned to Minneapolis for a safe landing on runway 30L about 20 minutes after departure. The crew advised the sliding window had come off the rails."

I wonder if it actually came off the rails or if a checklist item was skipped or not observed..? Either way, good work by the crew, never a dull day in flying I guess!

They were obviously a little flummoxed..."we can't hear you...requesting vectors"

Say what?

Good job overall, though.

nothing beats this one

Congrats for cool under pressure. That calm approach seems to be the thread in a lot of these commercial emergencies.

Congrats for cool under pressure. That calm approach seems to be the thread in a lot of these commercial emergencies.

When the stuff hits the fan, there really isn’t any other option than to squeeze your cheeks a bit tighter and fly the freakin’ thing. Focuses the mind like the proverbial hanging in the morning.

Experienced pilots may get a bit more credit than deserved for simply being able to understand the obvious and acting accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This appears to be an open and shut case.

Back