Excited to fly the big boy plane next week

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Just passed my checkride in a Warrior II, and the CFI said I can take the Archer no issue, and told the rental people I was checked out for it. The big challenge will hopefully start next week doing my HP and complex in the family plane..... a Saratoga SP.

I know mentally what to expect, but am sure many things will catch me by surprise.

Make sure as part of the check out that you put a couple of adults in the rear seats to get a feel for it with an aft CG.

Make sure as part of the check out that you put a couple of adults in the rear seats to get a feel for it with an aft CG.
...and while you have it loaded up, do a few short field landings. You will be amazed at how much power you need to carry/how high the deck angle will be before the flare. It is an eye-opener, do this with your instructor. -Skip

I fly out of Robbinsville, the plane lives at Monmouth.

things happen much faster....plan early, be ahead of e'rthang.

things happen much faster....plan early, be ahead of e'rthang.

The key is to always think in minutes, not distances, regardless of what you fly. It makes things a hell of a lot easier when you jump into faster airplanes.

Are you renting at Monmouth? I didn't think the school had a Saratoga.

Good luck,will take a little time to get used to the added power,and heaviness of the airplane. Watch your speeds. Stay ahead of the airplane,you should have no problem.

I always thought the Saratoga was a pretty docile aircraft in its day. Wasn't that one reason it was popular?

I always thought the Saratoga was a pretty docile aircraft in its day. Wasn't that one reason it was popular?

It is very docile, my dad claims it is easier to fly than the 172 he learned in. Stalls are considered almost a non issue just like the rest of the Piper training line. It also has a large cabin (wide 6 seats), large "cargo" door for the rear area, a decent useful load (this plane's is almost 1300), and is moderately fast with a cruise speed of 158.

It has a reputation for flying like a truck, so not known for being very "fun" when compared to a Bonanza.

It is very docile, my dad claims it is easier to fly than the 172 he learned in. Stalls are considered almost a non issue just like the rest of the Piper training line. It also has a large cabin (wide 6 seats), large "cargo" door for the rear area, a decent useful load (this plane's is almost 1300), and is moderately fast with a cruise speed of 158.

It has a reputation for flying like a truck, so not known for being very "fun" when compared to a Bonanza.

do u know fuel burns?

do u know fuel burns?

I believe the POH reads 16 gph at 75% power. In the real world the plane seems to burn about 14 GPH at 65% power, which gives an IAS of between 155 and 158 knots.

I believe the POH reads 16 gph at 75% power. In the real world the plane seems to burn about 14 GPH at 65% power, which gives an IAS of between 155 and 158 knots.

Thanks. Togas have reAlly caught my eye recently but the reality is I rarely have a true need to haul that much weight.

I looked it up. POH says 18 at 75%, and 16 at 65% at best power. Real world around 14 to 15 is realistic, running 65% and leaned out. This plane is the SP variety.

Last edited:
Read the POH. Get familiar with a few numbers (the ones not displayed on the AI). Be conscious of the CG. It's an easy airplane to fly.

While 14 gph at 65% is about right, I think 155 to 158 is a about 5 knots optimistic.

It is. Pretty much like driving a Ford F-250 vs a Taurus. Biggest difference between a PA32 and a PA28 is a 32 sinks more in the flare/less float.

Most common error I've seen in operating the PA-32 series is incompetence in closing the rear door, resulting in doors getting sprung out of shape.

Most common error I've seen in operating the PA-32 series is incompetence in closing the rear door, resulting in doors getting sprung out of shape.
Yep, or the top latch mechanism in the door gets bent.

I would always insist on loading pax in the back and then shutting the door from the outside before I boarded. (That is, if my wife was not along.)

Yep, or the top latch mechanism in the door gets bent.

I would always insist on loading pax in the back and then shutting the door from the outside before I boarded. (That is, if my wife was not along.)

Funny you mention the rear door. The one on the plane works perfectly, but there are small stress cracks in the paint on the rear door where people tend to push it to close it. The door is made of fiberglass (I think), and is flexes there.

Funny you mention the rear door. The one on the plane works perfectly, but there are small stress cracks in the paint on the rear door where people tend to push it to close it. The door is made of fiberglass (I think), and is flexes there.
From the outside, I would always:
1) Verify top latch is "open"
2) Pull main latch release to "open" and hold it there
3) Gently close door with left hand guiding top latch into place and right hand seating main latch
4) Close main latch
5) Close top latch

The door will flex some. Pax tend to treat it like it's a car door.

After my first time really flying the plane today, I am feeling very very lucky to have this plane to use. Stupidly lucky in fact. All I did today was familiarize myself with the added run up stuff, then did some basic maneuvers, and one landing. Seemed like the biggest thing to learn, besides mixture, and get the feet down, was slowing the plane down. Observations. ....

1. Plane right after lift off feels slightly mushy till you get more speed.
2. My right leg may get painful.
3. In the air the steep turns and slow flight seemed almost easier. This plane seemed much tighter, and more stable.
4. Much much easier to trim, and hold altitude, just soo much more stable.
5. GUMPS, GUMPS, GUMPS
6. Faster landing speeds.
7. Feels like less flair on landing. Do not need the high nose stall landings like the Warrior. Once the power dops, so does the plane.

Did not really do all the avionics toys today. Plane is glass panel so more to learn there. Was really fun, want to go up again.

After my first time really flying the plane today, I am feeling very very lucky to have this plane to use. Stupidly lucky in fact. All I did today was familiarize myself with the added run up stuff, then did some basic maneuvers, and one landing. Seemed like the biggest thing to learn, besides mixture, and get the feet down, was slowing the plane down. Observations. ....
2. My right leg may get painful.
Use rudder trim!

Back