Examiners in the DC area

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
I've called Jerry Gnouf. He's booked up solid and then is on vacation until September. I've called Frank Phillips, Tony Capozzi, Michael DeRuggerio with no response (probably on rides since it's Saturday).

Anyone else I should have on the list to call? I'm looking to get this done before the 23rd when I leave on vacation so I have a two week window I'd like to hit. I figure I need to get on the schedule in the next day or two to make that happen.

Thanks.

I've called Jerry Gnouf. He's booked up solid and then is on vacation until September. I've called Frank Phillips, Tony Capozzi, Michael DeRuggerio with no response (probably on rides since it's Saturday).

Anyone else I should have on the list to call? I'm looking to get this done before the 23rd when I leave on vacation so I have a two week window I'd like to hit. I figure I need to get on the schedule in the next day or two to make that happen.

Thanks.

Frank Phillips or Glen Klakring, out towards Easton, are who you want to talk to. I would not recommend anyone else working out of the BAL FSDO.

If willing to go a bit east check into Tom Callahan. He was great for my IR ride. He uses cross keys or Millville for his rides.

Tony Capozzi ended up calling me back. He's close at 2W6 and does most of the approaches at Salisbury (an airport I'm very familiar with) so it made sense. He got me in on the 21st right before I go out of town.

Only $400 too. I thought everyone around here was up to $500-600 at this point.

Anyone taken a ride with him before? Seemed like a nice guy.

I did my instrument ride with Mike Price at Shenandoah. Very straightforward ride.

Quick question.

He sent me an email saying to assume the departure conditions at 2W6 are 500/1.

I'm trying to figure out what he's looking for there that made him tell me that. 2W6 doesn't have departure minimums specific to it. Standard minimum is 1 mile visibility for a civil airport.

What am I missing? There's no approach there that we could legally shoot back in without WAAS (which I don't have) if we had to turn around. Is he just looking for me to know the situation and what all my options would be? To tell him my personal minimums compared to the conditions he gave?

Quick question.

He sent me an email saying to assume the departure conditions at 2W6 are 500/1.

I'm trying to figure out what he's looking for there that made him tell me that. 2W6 doesn't have departure minimums specific to it. Standard minimum is 1 mile visibility for a civil airport.

What am I missing? There's no approach there that we could legally shoot back in without WAAS (which I don't have) if we had to turn around. Is he just looking for me to know the situation and what all my options would be? To tell him my personal minimums compared to the conditions he gave?

I think he just wants you to assume departure conditions at 2W6 are a 500 ft ceiling and 1 statute mile of visibility. Don't read into anything on the checkride. Take the information and make a PIC decision.

Standard minimum is 1 mile visibility for a civil airport.

Sure about that? For part 91 operations?

Well there are several things to ponder:

1. Is it legal to depart...as you stated, there's no special takeoff minimums for 2W6. Even if it were 0/0 unless you are a part 121/135 operator you could depart. The standard one mile visibility applies only to them.

2. Could you return to the point of departure if something happened. As you are realizing, there's no direct requirement for you to be able to do that though some think it is a good practice. Feel free to mention that. It does look like 400-1 will get you in on the LNAV for RWY 11.

3. Did he tell you the weather for anywhere else. 500-1 triggers the I need an alternate level and note that 2W6 can't be an alternate because it requires 800-2. Further, even note that even if the weather was better, the procedures are NA for alternate when you don't have local weather (which apparently you do have since he gave it to you).

Sure about that? For part 91 operations?

That's for commercial operations. I looked that up a few minutes ago.

I'll probably just discuss what decision I would make given the levels he gave me and leave it at that. I can't think of any other regulatory thing or such that he's trying to pull from me.

To answer flyingron's question, the flight is simply 2W6 to SBY. He wants to file IFR there to shoot the approaches. He gave me no hypothetical weather for SBY.

It's not my flight plan that we'll discuss in the oral. He made that HEF to some place in WV but gave me no further guidance on that.

Back