Exam Prep

Ramneek

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ramneek
So, I was under the impression that a first class medical certificate expires after one year if you're below 40 years old. However, I was taking some practice tests on King Schools Free Private Pilot exams, and the answer was actually 5 years later. I'm thinking the question is outdated, but I wanted to ask to make sure I understand the topic correctly. The exact question is written below along with the answer choices.

For private pilot operations, a First-Class Medical Certificate issued to a 23-year-old pilot on October 21, this year, will expire at midnight on

October 21, 2 years later.
October 31, next year.
correct.svg
C. October 31, 5 years later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.42.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 12.42.04 PM.png
    90 KB · Views: 12
It would be good for 5 years for “private pilot operations”. It’s good for 1 year to fly operations requiring ATP certificate.

from ATPFLIGHTSCHOOL.COM:

“After the duration of a medical certificate has elapsed, it does not expire. Instead, a pilot may continue to exercise the privileges of the next less restrictive medical certificate. For example, if you are under 40, with a second-class medical, you may fly as a commercial pilot for the first 12 months and then may fly as a private pilot for the remaining 48 months.”

What Motor6 said.. Under 40, the First Class allows you to exercise first-class privileges for 12 months, then third-class privileges for the next 48 months.

The question is asking specifically about private pilot privileges, which require only a third-class medical.

Thank you so much guys! That makes a lot more sense. I'm glad I asked before my checkride.

On this topic, is there any reason for a young healthy private pilot to not just get a first class medical instead of a third class? Does it cost more or is it that much more extensive of an exam/risky if they find something that they wouldn't find on a third class? Mine is up in a year and if there's no reason not to I'll just get a first class and use it as a third class for PP operations for 5 years.

On this topic, is there any reason for a young healthy private pilot to not just get a first class medical instead of a third class? Does it cost more or is it that much more extensive of an exam/risky if they find something that they wouldn't find on a third class? Mine is up in a year and if there's no reason not to I'll just get a first class and use it as a third class for PP operations for 5 years.
The health requirements for first class are slightly different. I really see no use for a first if you’re not going to exercise the privileges unless you think later on down road, you’ll want to fly professionally.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

On this topic, is there any reason for a young healthy private pilot to not just get a first class medical instead of a third class?

In my case I was debating 2nd vs 3rd class medical as I had thoughts of continuing through to commercial ratings.

My eye exam came back as 20/25. Perfectly fine for 3rd class unrestricted, but would require corrective lenses for 2nd.

Since I opted for the 2nd class I now have restriction noting the need for corrective lenses, although for the actual 3rd class operations I do, no corrective lenses are actually required.

On the flip side, if you plan on going airlines probably best to go ahead and get the 1st class if you can. Better to know about any disqualification now rather than after you've invested a lot of time and money into flying.

The EKG is an additional step and charge you don't have with 3rd class.

Back