Ever since I switched keychains

When a guy doesn't want to get his shirt dirty, he just walks around with his lower lip out :rolleyes:

silver-eagle said:
I have all kinds of 'stuff' in my briefcase, which rides in the back of the car or plane whereever I go.
Just be careful, a briefcase in the car can make a tempting target for thieves, as my father found out.

silver-eagle said:
Keys are cheap compared to a callout of a locksmith.
I used to have the house key on a separate ring. The second time I 'lost' the key and had to go chase down the backup, I decided it was easier to make copies. I think I have 6 separate keys to the front door. One is in the wallet.
I know what you mean about the cost of a locksmith. A few weeks after we moved into our new house we managed to lock ourselves out royally. It's kind of scary how quickly those doors can be opened without a key by someone who knows what they're doing. However, that key in the wallet, along with, presumably identification showing your address, is a bad idea. Give a key to a trusted neighbor, and make sure it doesn't have your address on it, in case they're burgled! Yeah, I'm paranoid, but we have enemies too!

Oh, what I carry:
- PDA in shirt pocket, along with a couple of pens (the geek in me)
- wallet front right pocket
- car keys in jacket pocket (if needed) or front left pants pocket (if no jacket needed)
- office keys in front left pants pocket
- cell phone on belt
- Bluetooth phone headset on ear (also the geek in me)

Dave Siciliano said:
When a guy doesn't want to get his shirt dirty, he just walks around with his lower lip out :rolleyes:
Ew, Dave.

Lawreston said:
That SNOT true(about the tissue). We usually have a sleeve(or two).

:frog:

Don't even need that, just pinch one side shut and blow (outside, of course). This *ick* moment has been brought to you by.....

gibbons said:
As my father-in-law (ex. Frontier Capt.) used to always chant before he left the house:

"Testicles, spectacles, wallet and watch." He would pat himself down as he recited. I do miss that guy.

HAHA. I was going to write that but I finished reading the thread.

I have a cool "wallet" which is a miniature backpack that fits on my wrist. It holds ID, credit cards, wallet, and cellphone. Sometimes cellphone rides on my waist.

While flying in an air race a few years ago one of the more experienced racers told one of my crew members to keep her cellphone and anything she REALLY needed to have in her pockets or strapped to her body in case of emergency landing. Do NOT reach back for handbag, flightbag, anything. Just get out and away from the airplane.

Toby said:
Ew, Dave.

Sorry!

That came from my young infantry officer candidate days. Freshly starched fatigues; nothing allowed in front pockets, sitting in bleachers on a cold day listening to a lecture that was not particularly illuminating at beautiful Fort Beginning, Georgia.

"Mens, today we're gonna teach you how to orientate yourself to the ground with a map....RANGER!!"

Couldn't mess up the new outfit; inspection later!!

GMascelli said:
Not to good to carry spare key in car......IF car gets stolen your regestration will take them to your house and now they have a key!

Your local criminal defense attorney seconds this bit of advice. You gotta have your registration in the car to be legal, so it usually sits in the glovebox. I see more cars broken into than houses, but I have seen instances where the car is broken into, then the house. Ditto the bad idea of an extra key kept in wallet, purse, etc. If they got the key and the address kiss your stuff at home goodbye.

I have a spare key hidden in a spot that would take some time to find. Not easy at all. In fact, a pain if I ever have to go get it, but way easier than busting a window.

And get that window above the AC unit fixed/blocked etc. If you can do it, one of my "people" can do it.

Jim G

Everyone, I am installing a window lock on that window and am going back to using my old keychain, with apologies to my daughters. I live in a condo community, btw, 16 buildings with 12 units each, and they have bright lights all around the ousides of the buildings. I have felt very safe there since I moved in, but obviously if I can break into my apartment so easily, anyone else can, too. My neighbors are used to seeing me dive in off the A/C unit and kindly haven't reported me to the police.

grattonja said:
You gotta have your registration in the car to be legal,

You do, but I do not keep registration certificates in the vehicles for this very reason. Most states allow you 24hrs to produce the document, I'd rather jump thru this hoop vs. advertise the fact that I'm not home, and here, BTW, is my address.

Let's see now. What do I carry.. and in in what order?

1.) First I strap on my .40 S&W at the 10 o'clock position.
2.) Next comes the extra .40 S&W magazine holder fully loaded.
3.) Then the "Back'up".. if needed.

4.) Everything else now is secondary to the above.

Yep.. I'm ready to go now.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

SCCutler said:
Chip! Laughing 'til I stop. Sign of the cross...

OMG!!! I haven't 'heard' that one in a LOOONNNNNGGG time. I used to joke iwth my CFII, he would do that, and I would counter with "spectacles, ovaries, medical and foggles".

Anthony said:
Jeez Len, what are you preparing for extended deep sea diving or something? :)

Well I was a Boy Scout, you know...Be Prepared....and all that. :<)

Len

P.S. I guess, technically, I'm a Boy Scout again as I'm a leader for David & Matt's cub scout pack.

Toby said:
Everyone, I am installing a window lock on that window and am going back to using my old keychain, with apologies to my daughters. I live in a condo community, btw, 16 buildings with 12 units each, and they have bright lights all around the ousides of the buildings. I have felt very safe there since I moved in, but obviously if I can break into my apartment so easily, anyone else can, too. My neighbors are used to seeing me dive in off the A/C unit and kindly haven't reported me to the police.

IF, note I wrote, IF you have a keyed lock but do not have a dead bolt as well, here's a trick which works. Cut a 6" x 6" piece from a gallon(plastic) milk bottle -- or a similar size from a 2 litre soda bottle. Either piece is pliable enough to snake around the 90 deg. corners of the door/door frame; and each is yet stiff enough to push aside the lock bolt which is, normally, moved by the keying action. Voila! The door shall open. The bad side of this method is that it's likely that thieves know the same trick.

HR

I bought one of those combination lock boxes that the real estate agents use and put it on the back door of my house. Now I have a secure spare key that is simple to get at.

Back