Ever since I switched keychains

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
....I am getting SO good at breaking into my own house.

I used to keep my car keys and house keys on opposite ends of one of those two-ring keychains. Then one of my daughters bought me a silver keychain with an airplane on it, and another daughter bought me a flying Snoopy keychain. Of course, I had to use both -- one for the car and one for the house. Since then, I've forgotten to take my house key with me a whole bunch of times. Last night I got home from rehearsal at 10 p.m., it was freezing outside and snowing thick, and there I was -- once again -- scrambling up onto the air conditioner unit, removing the screen, prying open the window and diving in head first. This time at least I missed the music stand.

Toby. You might want to keep an extra house key hidden outsided somewhere in a waterproof container. And secure your window above the A/C unit, please.

Toby said:
opposite ends of one of those two-ring keychains.

Toby,

Just a thought...attach the new key chains to each end of the original two ring key chain...downside is that it might make the new combined key chain too long or bulky for your liking.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Toby,

Just a thought...attach the new key chains to each end of the original two ring key chain...downside is that it might make the new combined key chain too long or bulky for your liking.

Len
Naaah, women always seem to carry these 42-pound keychains stuffed with little flashlights, x-actos, PO box keys from 1985 ...

Ken Ibold said:
Naaah, women always seem to carry these 42-pound keychains stuffed with little flashlights, x-actos, PO box keys from 1985 ...
Hey - you've been looking into my bag! Little flashlights, of course, and plenty of those miniature plastic cards from supermarkets and DSW shoes so I can get the discounts.

Ken Ibold said:

True. And the can't find anything in their purse without dumping out the entire contents. :)

When asked if I believed in "Black Holes" I replied a very definintive, YES!

Anthony said:
True. And the can't find anything in their purse without dumping out the entire contents. :)

When asked if I believed in "Black Holes" I replied a very definintive, YES!
I've never understood where or how men carry all their stuff.

AdamZ said:
STUFF! Men don't need no STUFF.
That's because if you need a tissue or a Tylenol or a pen or something, you can just ask your wife, who has all that in her purse.

Toby said:

Man purse, like Adam carries. :)

Speaking of breaking in to houses:

My first babysitting job every, was for an air traffic controller at RDU, who also happen to be my neighbor. My mother decided that she was going to check on me to make sure everything was alright. "Oh you did good. Babies sleeping and everything looks good. Now make sure you lock the door!!!"

Ok, so these people have the type of door knob that turns on the inside after you lock it, and what do I do when walking my mother out, I shut the door behind me.

I go running after my mom, they had a mile long driveway, and she was like "YOU DID WHAT!!!!!" Well she drove home and had my dad come and break in to the house. My mother and I checked on the baby, and he was still sleeping soundly.

When the parents came home I told them what happened. All they could do was laugh. Im glad someone found it funny at the time.

The baby that I was babysitting is now going to an ivy leauge college on a football scholarship. Wow Im getting old.

Toby said:
.... Since then, I've forgotten to take my house key with me a whole bunch of times.

Use the clip thingy and clip the two keychains together.

Toby said:
DSW shoes so I can get the discounts.

You need to meet my wife, you have much in common :rolleyes:

Bill Jennings said:
Use the clip thingy and clip the two keychains together.

You need to meet my wife, you have much in common :rolleyes:

What is with these automerged double posts? Makes for some weird replies.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Toby. You might want to keep an extra house key hidden outsided somewhere in a waterproof container. And secure your window above the A/C unit, please.

Better yet in the ashtray of your car (unless your a smoker)

Toby said:

Simple, we only carry what we need, not our life's possesions with us when we leave the house.

1. Wallet with DL, credit card, medical card
2. Keys on a simple split ring.
3. Breath strips.

smigaldi said:
Simple, we only carry what we need, not our life's possesions with us when we leave the house.
I have credit cards and other cards like AAA and medical ID, pens and pencils and paper for writing down important stuff, tissues, cellphone, sunglasses, eyeglasses, checkbook, makeup, mirror, brush, gum, mints from restaurants, coupons, stamps, flashlights (!), hand cream, and, naturally, photos of my children and my airplane. The airplane actually has its own photo album. I need all these things!

Toby said:

As long as you have access to a sensible small basic tool kit, you can make whatever you might need while you're not at home.

Toby said:
I have credit cards and other cards like AAA and medical ID, pens and pencils and paper for writing down important stuff, tissues, cellphone, sunglasses, eyeglasses, checkbook, makeup, mirror, brush, gum, mints from restaurants, coupons, stamps, flashlights (!), hand cream, and, naturally, photos of my children and my airplane. The airplane actually has its own photo album. I need all these things!

Wallet? check
Keychain? check
Cell phone? check
Knife on belt? check

Good to go.

Toby, you knew I'd weigh in on this, didn't you?

At any given time, I have a particular sport coat I wear until it's ready for cleaners (on days I don't need a suit). Celia calls it my "purse," because it is filled with my carry-around detritus, analogous to (if less voluminous than) a purse.

Business cards, key-cards, notes: front pocket. Wallet, left inside pocket. Papers, checks, etc., right inside pocket. Keys, right-side pocket. Miscellaneous crap, left pocket.

When I empty it out, it's like a little archaeology site, sort of a chronicle of the past week or two.

Pathetic, I know.

Edit-

I carry two keychains, as well; one, car key (for whichever buggy I am driving that day), other, everything else. Rarely lost.

Toby said:

wallet

keys

cell phone

I'm set.

Toby said:
What do you do in the summer?
:rolleyes:

What more do you need than keys and a wallet? They both fit in your pants pockets. The cell phone fits on your belt and that little thing that tells time is strapped to your wrist.

Missa said:
Better yet in the ashtray of your car (unless your a smoker)

That's what I do, but not in the ashtray. I have a little hinged cubby below the gear shift that I keep my house keys, mocha punch card and spare change in.

The only keys that I carry in my purse with me is my car key (or motorcycle, whichever I'm driving at the time).

My keypass card thingie for work is either around my neck or hanging from the rear view and tucked up with the visor.

Dee

jangell said:
wallet

keys

cell phone

I'm set.

Yup. I actually have a quick litany to go through when I go out, leave someplace, etc.

Keys, wallet, watch, ring (wedding), cell phone

It's kept me from forgetting something many times.

Anthony said:
What more do you need than keys and a wallet?

Swiss army knife, leatherman tool, flashlight, notebook, black pen, Daytimer, 0.5mm mechanical pencil, glasses case with snap on sunglasses, business cards, hard candies, handkerchief, hat, cell phone...

You don't want to know what's also in my flight bag or briefcase.

Len

Not to good to carry spare key in car......IF car gets stolen your regestration will take them to your house and now they have a key!

the bare minimums for man.....keys, wallet, id for work. Only carry cash in pocket never carry in wallet....

The Bride on the other hand is always ready.....pens, gum or mints, keys to both cars and my truck on separate rings heck she even keeps a spare set of corvette keys with her and she does NOT want to drive the car. I think she's covering for me if I forget my keys. Of course make up, mirror, advil for me, blackberry, other work related items and I'm sure I missed some stuff. Mind you now I've only "seen" this stuff come out of that bag....I would never venture in there for any reason except maybe to save a life. Of course I avoid being the holder of the purse for ANY reason...or on any occasion......hell I'll carry 3 extra grocery bags at the same time or beg her not to help carry.......Hmmmm...maybe thats her strategy.

Toby, get an outside coded number pad to access the garage door opener and hide the key in the garage some where. Oh and follow the other post...secure that window.

This forum always gives me a good laugh...what a great bunch of folks !

Men have pockets!! Can't believe how many ladies either don't have 'em or don't use 'em. Still, I'm absolutely amazed at what I see ladies get out of their purse! My niece must have a frequent user's card for every store in a large mall!

As to breakin in; let my son use my car one night and just as he drives off, I realize my house keys are on the same ring as my car keys and my son just drove off with those in the ignition!!

Luckily, I have a close friend nearby with a set of keys to the kingdom! But, it was kinna embarasin to go ask them to open my house!!

Less need now with cell phones!

Dave

Toby said:
I've got that and a lot more in my "purse." Being a geek I have the PDA, cellphone, earphone for the PDA, headset for the phone, power adapters, batteries, small bottle of ibuprofen 'cause my back hurts, cables, USB flash drive, SecureID, checkbook, multitool, unpaid bills, paid bills, receipts (going back several years), magazines, books, .. sometimes I clear out enough space in the laptop pocket to actually put the laptop in it...then I need THAT power adapter, mouse, DVR/CDRW.

When somebody offers to take my bag the last thing they expect is that it weighs 50 pounds.

When the bag gets too full to handle I buy a new bag and stash the old one on the floor somewhere.

Wel guess i'll chime in here too
Wallet
Keys
Cell phone (on Belt)
Multi-tool (on Belt) I'm a mechanic
Lighter in Holder (on Belt-ZIPPO of cousre)

Yep I'm Set Too

Dave G.

Shipoke said:
Cell phone (on Belt)
Bat-a-rang (on Belt)
Bat gas mask (on Belt)

... I think we have discovered Dave's alter ego!

Len Lanetti said:
Swiss army knife, leatherman tool, flashlight, notebook, black pen, Daytimer, 0.5mm mechanical pencil, glasses case with snap on sunglasses, business cards, hard candies, handkerchief, hat, cell phone...

Jeez Len, what are you preparing for extended deep sea diving or something? :)

Actually it depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing, but generally everything fits in my pockets or on my belt. I will resort to a buttpack for hiking.

Shipoke said:
Wel guess i'll chime in here too
Wallet
Keys
Cell phone (on Belt)

Yep I'm Set Too

Dave G.
Left pocket: Cash/change, Cell phone (if not on belt), highlighter
Right Pocket: Pen, Pencil, another highlighter (just in case of emergency flight planning on the sectional :goofy: ) USB Flash drive, which by the way broke today...anyone have a suggestion on a new one? Lexmar? SanDisk?

Cargo Pocket: mini iPod, Trumpet mouthpieces (occasionally) for my trumpet.

Hehe, takes some technique to balance myself while walking up 3+ flights of stairs to my locker.

As my father-in-law (ex. Frontier Capt.) used to always chant before he left the house:

"Testicles, spectacles, wallet and watch." He would pat himself down as he recited. I do miss that guy.

Chip! Laughing 'til I stop. Sign of the cross...

gibbons said:
As my father-in-law (ex. Frontier Capt.) used to always chant before he left the house:

"Testicles, spectacles, wallet and watch." He would pat himself down as he recited. I do miss that guy.

I have all kinds of 'stuff' in my briefcase, which rides in the back of the car or plane whereever I go. As to personally, wallet, money, watch, cell/pager on the belt, and keys on a divider keyring. Both sides have an ignition key to the car and a house key. All the common keys are duplicated for each set of keys for each car.
Keys are cheap compared to a callout of a locksmith.
I used to have the house key on a separate ring. The second time I 'lost' the key and had to go chase down the backup, I decided it was easier to make copies. I think I have 6 separate keys to the front door. One is in the wallet.

The only time I carry anything in a bag is when I'm toting my laptop or going flying. (I use the same bag for both, actually, I believe in multipurpose gear.) Other than that, it's wallet in back pocket, keys in side pocket. Don't need no danged purse, that's what trucks are for.

Toby--be careful! I hope you find a solution.

terry

Toby said:
That's because if you need a tissue or a Tylenol or a pen or something, you can just ask your wife, who has all that in her purse.

That SNOT true(about the tissue). We usually have a sleeve(or two).

:frog:

Back