Ever feel unwelcome at an airport?

W35 Additional Remarks
- NO ACFT OVER 18500 LBS GWT.
- FOR CD CTC POTOMAC APCH AT 866-709-4993.
- DRAG RACING ON RWY. EXTSV RUBBER BUILD UP ON RWY 29 PAVEMENT END.
- RWY 29 END, 12 FT GRANDSTAND ON EACH SIDE OF RWY, 13 FT. FM RWY EDGE.
- ARPT CLSD NIGHTS.
- UNMANNED ACFT 1000/BLW 1 NMR OF ARPT.
- RC MODEL ACFT OPER ON ARPT.
- AIRPORT ENTRANCE GATE LOCKED. NO PUBLIC ACCESS TO AIRPORT.

- BIRDS & WILDLIFE INVOF ARPT.
- RWY 11 APCH END, 30 FT DROP OFF, 30 FT FROM PAVEMENT END.

Sounds like you crashed a private party :(

Nope. Even at the big Class B airport FBOs in a single engine, I’ve received the same treatment as the guys who fly Gulfstreams.

@Pugs , I just had the opposite experience recently. I landed at FFC (south of ATL) and had no hotel/car plans or anything. Figured I'd call a hotel and uber to dinner and then there. I was roaming around and saw an open hangar with guys standing around. We started talking, they took me to dinner, came back to the hangar for a few drinks, had a funny Toe of Satan Sucker Challenge transpire and then someone drove me to a hotel.

In general I've found most everyone around airports/involved in aviation to be some of the nicest/best people...especially to other pilots.

Regarding W35, I guess you could call and ask.

From the A/FD:
AIRPORT MANAGER: 301-842-3700

I don’t understand how a public airport which probably received federal funds can be gated and locked and only be used for drag racing so far as the locals are concerned. Did they commandeer an airport?

Imagine a pilot experiencing an emergency at night looking for a place to land and ends up landing on top of a drag race.

Edit: my guess is that phone number has been disconnected.

I guess I was obtuse ... I pulled all the way to parking and was in the shutdown process when he pulled in front. Plan was courtesy tank to the local food locale ... decided against that as the "courtesy" vehicle would probably get ticketed for something like not street legal ...

This was the same week that another pilot spent the night in jail in Lordsburg NM doing the same thing.

I didn't "let it go", I stood him in front of the co-pilot window and put a headset on his fat ass and let him talk to center.

I thought you said you were on the runway, my bad.

And for me, yeah, I’ll happily take the departments money if he wants to make a fool of himself and make a unlawful arrest.

Back