Ever Check into Drone Flying?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
A young guy at the airport was telling me about the qualifications and opportunities for flying drones.

I did some research and it appears that the hours and quals vary, but the main requirement is an IR, usually along with 250 to 350 hours minimum. Some of them require a commercial.

Anyone know anything about this career?

There's a lot of money in it if you are willing to go overseas (especially Afghanistan). It's not too hard to get into right now. Things might change when the FAA comes out with a rating. Most will require that you have a current security clearance or are able to go get one.

There are and will be jobs in the U.S., but currently they're extremely limited in where they can fly here. You'll probably have a difficult time finding a job if you're not willing to go overseas.

The requirement to fly small ones are pretty low.

I'm sorry but I can't think anything more demoralizing than flying a drone. You spend hours and hours learning how to fly in a real airplane and then you work as a "pilot" in some bunker in front of a computer??
Suicide.gif

And then you take your very nice paycheck and go fly real airplanes. :D

It's just a job. A very, very boring job, from what I'm told.

And then you take your very nice paycheck and go fly real airplanes. :D

It's just a job. A very, very boring job, from what I'm told.

No. You see if you work an an engineer to make money to pay for your flying that's fine, but if you work as a pilot to make money for flying...that a little odd. You can just be working as a real pilot and you wouldn't need to pay extra for your other flying.

No. You see if you work an an engineer to make money to pay for your flying that's fine, but if you work as a pilot to make money for flying...that a little odd.

What's the difference.

You have a job. You earn a dollar. You spend that dollar on something you enjoy (flying). What's significant about where the dollar came from?

I think you're confused.

There's a lot of money in it if you are willing to go overseas (especially Afghanistan). ............You'll probably have a difficult time finding a job if you're not willing to go overseas.

The requirement to fly small ones are pretty low.

You are probably right.. but... I saw a show not too long ago where they "claimed" the drone pilot was sitting in front of a console at a airforce base in Missouri and he was bombing a target in the Afghanistan / Pakastan border..:dunno:

Maybe I heard it wrong though...:rolleyes:

You are probably right.. but... I saw a show not too long ago where they "claimed" the drone pilot was sitting in front of a console at a airforce base in Missouri and he was bombing a target in the Afghanistan / Pakastan border..:dunno:

Yea, some models can be handed over to overseas operators. I believe the smaller, unarmed machines are much less likely to have that capability.

I applied to a few back when I was fresh out of college in December of 2010. Never got a call on any of them. What I've heard is, some of them are very much interested in people who really want the job and are willing to apply over and over and over again to get it.

I do not know if it was the same article but if it was this guy was in a world of hurt because of some of his "missions."

My guess is that the military drones are being "flown" mostly by active duty or retired military personel and rarely if ever by non-military civilians. My guess would be that most of the overseas jobs are military related as well. A number of universities are offering degrees in this now, and I would not be surprised this is where most of the civilian drone operators are going to come from.

Personally, I would not be interested in drone flying, I think there are a lot more better jobs around, then being a lackey for big brother.

Doug

The University of North Dakota Aerospace program added the UAV degree program a couple of years ago. Spoke to a young man there who extended his education by a semester to add that degree to his resume before graduation. By doing so he said he'd be able to go to Kuwait for a year, then come home with his $100K+ student loan debt paid off. He had a wife and kids he was leaving behind for the year.

The University of North Dakota Aerospace program added the UAV degree program a couple of years ago. Spoke to a young man there who extended his education by a semester to add that degree to his resume before graduation. By doing so he said he'd be able to go to Kuwait for a year, then come home with his $100K+ student loan debt paid off. He had a wife and kids he was leaving behind for the year.

Oh no doubt. It's a killer in terms of money making. I know right now I could walk out of where I'm at, sign up for one of the sandbox aerostat gigs and make a boat load of money, but have to live in the sandbox.

Heck, I'm 2 years out of Embry Riddle and was able to pay back my student loans (not nearly 100K) and log actual flight time.

Thanks for the replies. I had not seen any discussion of this on here except for a post about a drone pilot discussion about a year ago. It seemed worth hearing what folks had to say about it.

I am curious if you log flight hours in your log book from drone flying.

Thanks for the replies. I had not seen any discussion of this on here except for a post about a drone pilot discussion about a year ago. It seemed worth hearing what folks had to say about it.

I am curious if you log flight hours in your log book from drone flying.

Now.... That's a great question...:yes:

Now.... That's a great question...:yes:

As far as I know, you can put your time flying around in Battlefield 3 on your XBox in your logbook. Whether or not you report it on an 8710, or use it to meet insurance requirements, or put it as TT on a resume to send to the airlines, well, that's another story.

I don't think the FAA has any guidance on the issue right now, but I think you would have a hard time justifying the reporting of PIC hours in class (A-SEL for instance) that did not require the privileges of a rating.

As far as I know, you can put your time flying around in Battlefield 3 on your XBox in your logbook. Whether or not you report it on an 8710, or use it to meet insurance requirements, or put it as TT on a resume to send to the airlines, well, that's another story.

I don't think the FAA has any guidance on the issue right now, but I think you would have a hard time justifying the reporting of PIC hours in class (A-SEL for instance) that did not require the privileges of a rating.

That sounds like the key. IF there is no rating required to fly them, then it makes all the sense in the world that it would not be flight time. I assume that the requirements by the people who employee drone "pilots." Do not, by law have to put a certificated pilot at the controls.

That sounds like the key. IF there is no rating required to fly them, then it makes all the sense in the world that it would not be flight time. I assume that the requirements by the people who employee drone "pilots." Do not, by law have to put a certificated pilot at the controls.

Except as they begin flying outside their restricted airspace and join the rest of the flying public, i believe they will be required to have a license. Some Army contractors are encouraging (or requiring?) their UAV instructors to get a license - something they did not need before.

According to this, they do need to be? It's rather vague though, so that may just be industry standard and not FAA regs.
http://www.aviationschoolsonline.com/faqs/uav-pilot-license.php

What's the difference.

You have a job. You earn a dollar. You spend that dollar on something you enjoy (flying). What's significant about where the dollar came from?

I think you're confused.

There is just something wrong with a pilot flying from a bunker, it's an okay job for a normal person but for a pilot it sounds like hell.

Imagine sitting in a bar and saying your a pilot, then someone asks you what kind of aircraft you fly, and you say "drone"....

Maybe I'm just racist against drone, I don't know.

How long until someone comes up with a time building drone?

Launch, put it into a hold for 8 hours, go to sleep. When you wake up, you've just completed 8 more flying hours all from the comfort of your home.

Logging drone time will never be the same thing as really flying.

How long until someone comes up with a time building drone?

Launch, put it into a hold for 8 hours, go to sleep. When you wake up, you've just completed 8 more flying hours all from the comfort of your home.

Logging drone time will never be the same thing as really flying.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.

It's all fun and games till............................................

A drone hits a manned aircraft and the flaming wreckage rains down on populated areas...

And you all know it's just a question of time too...:yes::eek:

The rules will change quickly after that scenerio..

So serious question...

Given the size and complexity of some RC airplanes, what's the difference between that and a drone? I mean if we're talking about logging time flying a drone, then those RC pilots are all ready for their ATP ride.

Last question...

Why do the military drone pilots wear nomex flight suits?

So serious question...

Given the size and complexity of some RC airplanes, what's the difference between that and a drone? I mean if we're talking about logging time flying a drone, then those RC pilots are all ready for their ATP ride.
Intent and compensation.

If there is compensation you need the commercial / medical.

Intent and compensation.

If there is compensation you need the commercial / medical.

With that said, there are numerous law enforcement agencies around the country using drones right now.... The vast majority have officers, who are being paid, flying those drones. So the "commercial" license thing is being overlooked.... ALOT....:yes:

So serious question...

Last question...

I'm still confused about the crew rest requirements....

The bigger drones that are flown in Afghanistan take off and land under the control of a local (in country) operator. The rest of the mission is flown under the control of operators working stateside using a satellite link. Small drones used by ground forces are locally controlled from takeoff to landing.

If drones are being used stateside by Law Enforcement, they are public use aircraft and may not necessarily be required to comply with Federal Regulations governing civil aircraft. There was a time when you could operate police/government aircraft and not even have a pilot's certificate issued by the FAA. Public use aircraft were rather like military aircraft and operated under their own rules.

So serious question...

Last question...

A Predator is probably the size of a cessna 172 and the MQ-9 Reaper is larger. Pretty sure they are flown on instruments. Not sure how many RC pilots have that experience.

"Why do the military drone pilots wear nomex flight suits?"
I may be wrong but here is my understanding.
AF UAV pilots must be rated officers and are authorized to wear flight suits when on flying status.
Army UAV pilots (operators) are all enlisted (I think) and wear the normal camoflaged uniform.

I wonder when they will be available for private use? I have come up with a humanitarian use for a drone. I'll never have the money to do it, but woul love to pull the project together for a corporation or organization.
My use would use a drone during natural disasters in remote area of the world, including the some remote areas of the US.

:rolleyes2:

Drones are being designed for all sorts of uses, humanitarian missions, search and rescue (well, at least "search"), cargo delivery in hostile areas, wildlife management (including anti-poaching), mapping/GIS, agriculture, forest fire fighting, pipeline patrol, radiation monitoring, and much more.

The small ones are pretty cheap to build. COTS parts and open source software can produce a pretty capable autonomous aircraft. The expense is in the sensor/optics payload.

A Predator is probably the size of a cessna 172 and the MQ-9 Reaper is larger. Pretty sure they are flown on instruments. Not sure how many RC pilots have that experience.

"Why do the military drone pilots wear nomex flight suits?"
I may be wrong but here is my understanding.
AF UAV pilots must be rated officers and are authorized to wear flight suits when on flying status.
Army UAV pilots (operators) are all enlisted (I think) and wear the normal camoflaged uniform.

Are the Army pilots not Warrant Officers?

The bigger drones that are flown in Afghanistan take off and land under the control of a local (in country) operator. The rest of the mission is flown under the control of operators working stateside using a satellite link. Small drones used by ground forces are locally controlled from takeoff to landing.

If drones are being used stateside by Law Enforcement, they are public use aircraft and may not necessarily be required to comply with Federal Regulations governing civil aircraft. There was a time when you could operate police/government aircraft and not even have a pilot's certificate issued by the FAA. Public use aircraft were rather like military aircraft and operated under their own rules.

Interesting information that I have not heard or read elsewhere. Thanks for posting it.

Been doing a bit of RC helicopter flying.
Got into a discussion with some enthusiasts who are into big models and adrenalin. This is both helicopter and fixed wing groups.
They are using a camera in the model to beam back video and flying the model by looking at a video screen that gives them the view of being in the 'cockpit' They have gone so far as to set up a 'cockpit' with a chair, the joy stick and controls on a dash in front of them, and the video screen.

These are 8 pound to 20 pound models and moving at a 100 knots they have some real impact energy. They were bragging how high and far out they gotten their last few flights.
I said, hey guys you are violating airspace regs and could get into some legal hot water.
They did not believe me. The interesting part is that they were flying from a city park and just 3 miles from a major airport. So it is not just the police/military drones that are becoming airspace issues.

Been doing a bit of RC helicopter flying.
Got into a discussion with some enthusiasts who are into big models and adrenalin. This is both helicopter and fixed wing groups.
They are using a camera in the model to beam back video and flying the model by looking at a video screen that gives them the view of being in the 'cockpit' They have gone so far as to set up a 'cockpit' with a chair, the joy stick and controls on a dash in front of them, and the video screen.

These are 8 pound to 20 pound models and moving at a 100 knots they have some real impact energy. They were bragging how high and far out they gotten their last few flights.
I said, hey guys you are violating airspace regs and could get into some legal hot water.
They did not believe me. The interesting part is that they were flying from a city park and just 3 miles from a major airport. So it is not just the police/military drones that are becoming airspace issues.

I was just looking at this RC SR-71. This thing with a camera and a hud display is a drone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShelXYoV0E

Or look at this B29, it's almost as big as a 172 and weights 400 lb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1T3rIwg7s

It won't be long.

Civilian contractors play a very significant role in the UAS world.

That's correct. I worked for General Atomics in San Diego, and most of the drone test pilots were mainly non-military private pilots.

The Predator B (aka MQ-9 Reaper) has a 66 foot wingspan and the fuselage is about the same size as a C-206 but flatter with a turbocharged diesel engine.

The new Predator C fuselage is considerably bigger with the same wingspan as a Pred B and powered by a Rolls Royce jet engine.

Back