Etiquette question regarding landing fees

Alright guys, whatever you say. I only did it for a living; it involved me, not you.

You're the armchair experts, so have at it. Done.

Sure, whatever. And I've never had anything to do with liens or seizures because you say I haven't. And I haven't always made sure that the experiences I don't have were always conducted legally.

I used the Burke Lakefront airport in Cleveland last year. The City of Cleveland mailed me a $5 bill which I was expecting. They don't allow the FBO to collect the $5 fees.

Back to fees. So, if all the above is true, there is nothing stopping some FBO from saying: I'm going to get that sob in the Lear. The ramp fee for him is, say, $10,000. Pay or else. Anyone can claim and put a lean on a property (even if its is an imperfect lean) and trade or mechanics leans often allow holding property until paid, no?

I have never seen a fuel price sign outside a FBO. Ever. Why doesn't a FBO not have to advertise his prices like gas stations (restaurants, bars?).

I just cant believe that a FBO can hold at ransom an aircraft that happens to stop on an unmarked apron area and be forced to pay an fee which is kept essentially secret.
What am I missing here?

TacAir at KAPA has their Jet-A fuel price on a huge LED sign and scrolling promises of the lowest price, guaranteed.

Alright guys, whatever you say. I only did it for a living; it involved me, not you.

You're the armchair experts, so have at it. Done.

Yup, your the only guy on this board who ever flew for money, flew a jet, and ever used "lifeguard".

Just armchair QB's

Back to fees. So, if all the above is true, there is nothing stopping some FBO from saying: I'm going to get that sob in the Lear. The ramp fee for him is, say, $10,000. Pay or else. Anyone can claim and put a lean on a property (even if its is an imperfect lean) and trade or mechanics leans often allow holding property until paid, no?

I have never seen a fuel price sign outside a FBO. Ever. Why doesn't a FBO not have to advertise his prices like gas stations (restaurants, bars?).

I just cant believe that a FBO can hold at ransom an aircraft that happens to stop on an unmarked apron area and be forced to pay an fee which is kept essentially secret.
What am I missing here?
Fees are not kept secret. You can call in advance and ask if you are curious. Signature also has an online fee calculator. Here is what it costs a Lear 35 at Signature LAS if you don't buy fuel

20120817-jkmpbns686b4kkar2wna5w9qc6.png

https://www.signatureflight.com/Locations/Pages/fbo.aspx?Loc=LAS

Not a lawyer, but I guess they can counter that claim that nothing is stopping you from popping the door open and walking away.

Yup, it could get to be quite a quagmire for the lawyers. It'll cost both sides lots of money if someone wants to fight.

Much better to go through the legal process with the law on your side than to try to take the law into your hands. I'm sure some folks try to do things on their own and trust their relationship with local courts. I'm also sure that that taking someone else's property without a court order is generally considered illegal.

I could charge 50 bucks for each vehicle that pulled into my driveway by accident, or to turn around. Pull in and I'm blocking you in until you pay up sukka.

Surprise! Fort Nelson now has a $20 landing fee plus tax. Had no idea until I got my bill in the mail this morning. Wonder what other bills from Canadian airports are winging their way to my mailbox? Aside from the NavCanada bill, that is.

Edit: Fort St. John too. They haven't been quite as efficient with their billing.

I remember an airport in the LA Basin, it may have been SMO. They monitored the radio and wrote down N numbers, sent the bill. Some people would use bogus n numbers in the dark, or so the story went.

Most places don't have "landing fees", but ramp fees. Use the ramp and pay a fee, some fees are waived for a minimum fuel purchase. The GA airports in the Las Vegas area are set up this way. Need to by 20 gallons to get the fee waived.

Most airports have overnight tie down fees, not daily ramps fees. The tie down has been waived with a fuel purchase.

I'm returning from Anchorage to the lower 48.
Fee waived at Carson City, fuel stop and pilot car for lunch.
Eugene OR, overnight, no fees for fuel purchase.
Bellingham WA, no fee for fuel.
Abbotsford BC. $20 Ramp Fee to clear customs, no room for fuel.
Prince George BC, overnight fee waived for fuel.
Fort Nelson, no fees
Waton Lake, no fee and free camping, stayed overnight
Whitehorse, no fee for fuel stop
Northway AK, no fee, no fuel available, Customs Stop
Gulkana AK, no fee, but needed fuel
Merrill Field, Anchorage, $10 per day tie down, 15cent per gallon discount for staying the their hotel (Ace Fuels) on airport.
Homer AK, no fee
Talkeenta AK, no fee
Fairbanks, fuel purchase and overnight (no fee), Ace Fuels
Tok AK, fuel stop, no fee
Whitehorse, YT, $6.25 overnight fee, transient parking.
and tonight back in Fort Nelson, fuel purchase, overnight, no fee

Tomorrow, Edmunton Villeneuve field, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Back