Epic LT Crashes At Spruce Creek (7FL6), 2 Killed

OK, that's certainly a reasonable attitude.

So, back to where we were... Epic procedures. Anyone know the correct procedure for gear and flap retraction on a missed approach?

No idea, but most planes full power, positive rate gear up, partial flaps up (depends on plane). Sequence may vary for different planes.

Could this accident be the result of somatogravic illusion? Did the pilot break out of the clouds and then execute a missed approach? The rapid acceleration and pitch up of a lightly loaded turboprop in IMC might produce that effect.

Very possible and I have seen the NTSB attribute a go around crash to this before. Long story short its just another form of spatial disorientation. Solved by looking at your attitude indicator.

In the interest of becoming more cognizant of the challenges the situation represents, over the last couple of months I have examined the facts surrounding a few go around accidents.

There is much more to a successful go around than jamming the throttle and increasing pitch, as I'm sure you are all aware. It requires preplanned procedure and precision control, especially with a lightly loaded powerful aircraft.

In a powerful aircraft like this, a go-around should be very easy. I have noticed that some pilots behave on a go-around or missed approach, as if they suddenly see anti-aircraft fire coming from the ground necessitating they jam the throttle forward quickly pitch the nose up and race to get the gear and or flaps up. Even on a precision approach, you should be at least 200 ft. AGL. just gently bumping the throttle forward a little will arrest the descent, then a gradual coordinated increase in power and pitch will start the climb. A go-around or missed should be a normal and calm procedure, not worthy of an increase in brow sweat or heart rate. If it does instill brow sweat and tachycardia, probably time to do about 100 of them with a CFII, and then 100 more the following month. People shouldn't die doing normal procedures, so there is definitely something wrong with the way many of us train for this to show up so regularly in NTSB reports.

As I said because it's based on speculation... if you find value in that kind of education then knock yourself out.
I do find value in that kind of speculation. Perhaps not to determine the exact cause of that particular crash, but the conversation reminds us of things NOT to do in the future, and it re-enforces the whole concept of practice and currency and knowing your limits.

Back