Epic E1000 Crashes in Germany

In London and this is making a big splash on the BBC...a previous gear up in 2015 and the passengers killed have them speculating

In London and this is making a big splash on the BBC...a previous gear up in 2015 and the passengers killed have them speculating
The Epic is known for having an unreliable gear system. I'm interested to see if they find out what happened...

About an hour from where I am. To make it worse, a police car going to the scene of the airplane crash ended up colliding with another car and killed 2 people.

The Epic is on its way to FAA certification (and, um, has been, for a number of years. I'm in the cert biz, I know how it goes.) I believe that the amateur-built models have a frightening stall speed.
BTW, this was reported as a "private jet" in some reports, never mind the remnants of the propeller in some of the pictures.

The Epic is known for having an unreliable gear system. I'm interested to see if they find out what happened...

Interesting you mention that. I was listening to KCMA on Live ATC a couple years ago and an Epic declared an emergency due to a cocked-over nose wheel. On touchdown it straightened itself out.

The relatively small debris field would indicate that it came down at a high angle. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

that it came down at a high angle.
There are a number of witnesses. Per German forum, came in high and fast for a short, challenging approach at a small airport. Cut the corners off his missed approach path and got behind the aircraft. Stalled, drug a wing tip, and hit inverted. Reportedly the lady onboard was wealthy Russian with her father. Her husband owns Epic.

Last edited:
Back