EPA targets lead in avgas

I suspect there will be some sort of subsidy to fuel producers to encourage and help them get UL into production, much the same way the feds subsidize electric cars and solar panels. Probably not until next year.

But I won’t be surprised if the EPA starts making lots of noise and threats, followed by GAMI and the FAA saying there’s a solution but it will take many years to get it into production and reach an acceptable price, whereupon the fuel companies will begin asking for assistance, reminding everyone that “it’s for the children.”

If farmers can have their corn subsidies then why can't us pilots?...am I right??

I flew 3 hours this weekend, not a drop of 100LL was used.

Given that the FAA has already approved a new fuel for fleet wide use, and the EPA has yet to outlaw the evil child and planet killing fuel, it doesn't seem to be much of a race.
The race is NOT between FAA approval and a ban from the zealots at EPA. It's between market availability and the EPA zealots' ban.

The race is NOT between FAA approval and a ban from the zealots at EPA. It's between market availability and the EPA zealots' ban.

I'm sure there is no way a government official would try to ban a technology in support of some other new technology replacement before the replacement is commercially available in sufficient quantities to replace the old. I mean, just look at electric vehicles.

Oh, wait. Never mind.

Last edited:
You can be sure that whatever fuel costs the most to make and buy, that's what the FAA will force everyone to use.

The sense of smell is a powerful generator of feeling and emotion, like a perfume of an old girlfriend, the smell of a charcoal grill, etc.

Y’all are gonna miss the smell of burnt 100LL in the future. It’ll take you back to your younger days.

I might keep some around to burn in my lawnmower when I feel nostalgic 20 years from now (if I’m still around). It reminds me of drag cars.

The sense of smell is a powerful generator of feeling and emotion, like a perfume of an old girlfriend, the smell of a charcoal grill, etc.

I almost exclusively run renewable diesel in my truck, and I don't at all miss the smell of fossil fuel diesel or the smell it makes from the exhaust.

What does the new unleaded gas smell like?

I almost exclusively run renewable diesel in my truck, and I don't at all miss the smell of fossil fuel diesel or the smell it makes from the exhaust.

You really smell your exhaust?

Pretty difficult not to when you’re driving a diesel. The smell of diesel exhaust about makes me gag.

I’ve owned diesels off and in since ‘98 and have been around them all my life. I don’t go around smelling exhaust though.

I certainly don’t smell exhaust in the cab/passenger area.

The smell of burnt jet-fuel is “cool”.

The smell of diesel exhaust reminds me of camping out next to my running fire truck at overnight emergency response scenes. Good memories of my younger days.

You can be sure that whatever fuel costs the most to make and buy, that's what the FAA will force everyone to use.

How is FAA forcing you to use a particular fuel???

...The smell of diesel exhaust reminds me of camping out next to my running fire truck at overnight emergency response scenes. Good memories of my younger days.
It reminds me of the school bus.
Not so fond memories.

The smell of burnt jet-fuel is “cool”.

The smell of diesel exhaust reminds me of camping out next to my running fire truck at overnight emergency response scenes. Good memories of my younger days.
We ran both JP-8 and DF-2 in our M1 Tanks. Between that and the other trucks that were always around, diesel exhaust became a natural part of the environment. By the time we were done with range time we would smell like cordite, diesel, and sweat.... drove my wife crazy in the best way possible!

(...resists searching for 'moms id like to smell' for fear of both results and future adwords hits)

lol…my comment was in response to the pumpkin spice one, but the misunderstanding has turned out to be humorous

Back