English Proficiency

TEHAO

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TEHAO
ICAO ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST

does anyone know where I get the test in either Northern California or Central California? What is the cost and the things I will be evaluated on? I've done searches but there aren't many useful information.

I am a foreign student doing my commercial training in California.

does anyone know where I get the test in either Northern California or Central California? What is the cost and the things I will be evaluated on? I've done searches but there aren't many useful information.

I would ask either you ask your CFI, the regional FSDO office of the FAA, or if your school or local community college has an aviation program, they may actually administer the test.

Good luck.

Essentially there is not one "ICAO English Proficiency Test". Each member state of ICAO meets the requirement by administering their own test.

Your US FAA certificate will state "English Proficient" but most countries will not accept that. When you validate or convert to a foreign license at that time you will do your English Proficient exam.

Do all US FAA certificates say "English Proficient" or is that just for folks that english is/was not their first language?

Last edited:
Do all US FAA certificates say "English Proficient" or is that just for folks that english is/was not their first language?
If you do not have "English Proficient" on your certificate you get to send in a couple of bucks to the FAA for a new certificate with "English Proficient" on it. If you still have your SS number on your certificate you can ask for the new number free and also save $$ on the "English Proficient" at the same time.

If you do not have "English Proficient" on your certificate you get to send in a couple of bucks to the FAA for a new certificate with "English Proficient" on it. If you still have your SS number on your certificate you can ask for the new number free and also save $$ on the "English Proficient" at the same time.

:yeahthat: My airline needed that on my certificate, so I sent the $2 and got it. No one asked me if I actually spoke English, but I guess being born here they gave me the benefit of the doubt.

If you fly international it is suppose to be on your certificate.

Ok, thanks. I keep forgetting to ask our POI when I see him.

One of my pilots and myself have the plastic without our SS# being used as the certificate number, and we both don't have "English Proficient". We also don't have the magnetic strip either.

My ATP certificate was issued in May2003 and the other pilot in June2003, before the plastic became required.

We haven't received our international 135 cert yet, I'll worry about it when we start.

The FAA does not require the same official ICAO English Proficiency test that other countries do. Your English proficiency will be evaluated by your CFI before releasing you for solo flight, and by the examiner during your practical test. AC 60-28A, English Language Skill Standards Required by 14 CFR Parts 61, 63, and 65, provides guidance for airman applicants, DPEs, and ASIs in determining English language skills required for airman certification. You might want to look through it so you know what to expect.

When you have demonstrated your English proficiency to the examiner on your FAA practical test IAW that AC, and pass that practical test (which must be conducted in English), you will be issued an FAA pilot certificate with "ENGLISH PROFICIENT" on it. That will be sufficient for you to fly on that FAA certificate anywhere in the ICAO world. However, since the FAA does not use the ICAO test, you will have to take the ICAO test to get a certificate issued most anywhere else even though you have "ENGLISH PROFICIENT" on your FAA certificate.

The FAA does not require the same official ICAO English Proficiency test that other countries do. Your English proficiency will be evaluated by your CFI before releasing you for solo flight, and by the examiner during your practical test. AC 60-28A, English Language Skill Standards Required by 14 CFR Parts 61, 63, and 65, provides guidance for airman applicants, DPEs, and ASIs in determining English language skills required for airman certification. You might want to look through it so you know what to expect.

When you have demonstrated your English proficiency to the examiner on your FAA practical test IAW that AC, and pass that practical test (which must be conducted in English), you will be issued an FAA pilot certificate with "ENGLISH PROFICIENT" on it. That will be sufficient for you to fly on that FAA certificate anywhere in the ICAO world. However, since the FAA does not use the ICAO test, you will have to take the ICAO test to get a certificate issued most anywhere else even though you have "ENGLISH PROFICIENT" on your FAA certificate.

I'm curious about this test. Do you have to conjugate verbs or spout rules of grammar. Or are you just interpreting oral directions?

I'm curious about this test. Do you have to conjugate verbs or spout rules of grammar. Or are you just interpreting oral directions?

No, it is a very basic test of functional use of the language. There is no structure or grammar involved. There are various levels of the test for different positions and industries (it's a standard test set).

I had to get the magic words on my license in order to fly abroad. I went down to the FSDO, chatted with the inspector in my British/Kiwi accented English who issued a temporary license on the spot. A couple of weeks later my new 'English Proficient' credit card license arrived in the mail. I don't recall if there was a charge for it but if there was it was not more than a few bucks.
My New Zealand and British licenses do not say 'English Proficient' but that is probably because they were issued so long ago and no one ever asks to see them so it is a total non-issue.
Stephen.

When I took the test to get my Australian pilot certificate four years ago, they played a tape of a heavily accented controller (South Asia, I think) talking with a transport aircraft (Australian crew, by their accent). The crew was reporting an in-flight emergency and requesting assistance, while the controller was asking questions about what was wrong and what the crew wanted. The examiner then had me explain each transmission in plain language, and tell when it appeared one party was being misunderstood by the other. I was then graded on a scale from 1 to 6, with 4 being the minimum to be issued an Aussie license.

I scored a 6. Not bad, considering Australian is not my native language, but fortunately I saw a lot of Paul Hogan's TV shows in England during assignment there as well as his movies released here. :wink2:

When I took the test to get my Australian pilot certificate four years ago, they played a tape of a heavily accented controller (South Asia, I think) talking with a transport aircraft (Australian crew, by their accent). The crew was reporting an in-flight emergency and requesting assistance, while the controller was asking questions about what was wrong and what the crew wanted. The examiner then had me explain each transmission in plain language, and tell when it appeared one party was being misunderstood by the other. I was then graded on a scale from 1 to 6, with 4 being the minimum to be issued an Aussie license.

I scored a 6. Not bad, considering Australian is not my native language, but fortunately I saw a lot of Paul Hogan's TV shows in England during assignment there as well as his movies released here. :wink2:

They must not have given you Queenslander then, 3 years in and I still cringed listening to them.:rofl:

Legally true, but in my experience, the Canadians and Bahamians don't check for US pilots on private flights. YMMV.

I have been ramped in the Bahamas (private flight). Yes, Transport Canada will ramp US registered aircraft as well.

Bottom line, it's a $2 fix (literally) and it's not worth the hassle one may encounter on foreign soil.

The French, OTOH, are the ones who forced the FAA to comply with this ICAO requirement.

Have a reference for that?

It's just as easy to send the 2 dollars and not worry about it. When I transited Canada no one checked my license.

So Paul Hogan movies would be a good study aid for the test? :)

It's just as easy to send the 2 dollars and not worry about it. When I transited Canada no one checked my license.

Yeah, I paid the $2 because my airline required it. But there was no "test" other than the chat on the phone with the nice lady in OKC from whom I got the info to order the new certificate.

Yeah, I paid the $2 because my airline required it. But there was no "test" other than the chat on the phone with the nice lady in OKC from whom I got the info to order the new certificate.

That chat WAS the US test.:lol:

Back