Engine went "whomph"

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Just got back from another experience. After extensive checks by two mechanics; taxiing, full power checks, T/R checks ad infinitum by Bill and me, we could find nothing wrong with the Lear 24. This was the one that gave us an uncommanded left engine T/R deployment on rotation last week.

Everything checked perfectly. Twice. Three times. There was no reason not to test fly this airplane. So we did.

Acceleration was normal, engine gauges were normal, speeds were normal. We rotated, gear came up and at about 500' on climbout the #1 (left) engine went "whomph" rather loudly and died. This was much less dramatic than the 30deg yaw of last week. As a matter of fact it wasn't much of a big deal at all. I told the tower our situation; they asked about souls and fuel aboard; we did a single engine failure checklist and a single engine landing checklist; and landed. This time the fire truck had time to get out to meet us.

On external inspection we could find nothing wrong. Nothing missing looking in the front or back, no puddles of oil. We took the lower cowling off...everything looks fine. Looked at the oil on the dipstick...clean as the day it was put in.

We have no second thoughts about taking this flight. Better to find this out without passengers, light and on a beautiful VFR day.

Ah, another fun day at the olde aerodrome.

Just got back from another experience. After extensive checks by two mechanics; taxiing, full power checks, T/R checks ad infinitum by Bill and me, we could find nothing wrong with the Lear 24. .

How could that be? Fresh off the assembly line and ready to go, and now it's causing problems? Check your warranty.

So do they have a theory about the TRs yet?

You won't need to go back to recurrent, seems like you are keeping proficient at engine failures....

Why did the compresor stall?!

We would really like to know. :dunno:Everything checks out perfectly on the ground. :yes:This single engine stuff is getting tiring. :yikes:

I think we should bring the mechanic next time.

(Can one be banned for overuse of emoticons?:idea:)

We would really like to know. :dunno:Everything checks out perfectly on the ground. :yes:This single engine stuff is getting tiring. :yikes:

I think we should bring the mechanic next time.

2 things ..... FODDED Compressor or a bad fuel control/

FODDED Compressor will usually chug upon advancing the throttle quickly.

Bad Fuel Control will cause this malfunction because of a bad altitude compensating bellows.

Don't think a bad fuel controll would cause a comp stall. Flameout, yes. Compressor stall, no. Something is disrupting airflow, i.e. FOD, bad bleed valve, etc.

Lance, glad you two made it back safely (again). Sounds like this plane is being a pain!

I had something similar (works fine on ground but not in air) in a rental years ago, but didn't lose the engine completely, just about 50% of the thrust... The porcelin around the right spakr plugs had cracked and all was perfect on the ground, got up about 500 hundred feet and all went south. Doesn't sound the same but thought I'd throw it out there.

Don't think a bad fuel controll would cause a comp stall. Flameout, yes. Compressor stall, no. Something is disrupting airflow, i.e. FOD, bad bleed valve, etc.

The engine quit. when at fulll power climb, would sound the same as a compressor stall.

no one here was there to really see what happened. some body jumped at the sound being a compressor stall, they didn't really know.

Good point. The only engine failure i've had on takeoff it made a "bang" thanks to a failed bearing. Nonetheless, good job Lance. That bag o tricks is filling up quick.

Back