Engine swap

Robin Hood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Robin Hood
I own a Cessna 150 as some of you know. I would like to hear some discussion on swapping the 100hp engine out for a 125hp. This was a standard option on 152's so would it be a logical thing to do for a 150 also?

would it be a logical thing to do for a 150 also?
no! it's been done, lots of money spent, nothing gained. 20 horse power isn't enough to spend the time and paper work to change the engine mount, engine, electrical system from generator to alternator. (on the early models) and cowl.

Because with 24 gallons total the legs are too short, plus to put larger tanks in you can't carry anything else.

Because with 24 gallons total the legs are too short, plus to put larger tanks in you can't carry anything else.

I did the 150/150 conversion plus the baggage fuel tank and quite enjoyed it for many years.

I did the 150/150 conversion plus the baggage fuel tank and quite enjoyed it for many years.
You are one of the few, most were used a glider towers, 3 pulls, gas, 3 pulls, gas.

You are one of the few, most were used a glider towers, 3 pulls, gas, 3 pulls, gas.

I tow with a 150/180 and get closer to triple that. I owned a stock 150 for a number of years. Based on flying both, I would consider the 150/150 the best choice for a personal 150. If you throttle back to stock 150 speeds the gas consumption is about the same. It would be really nice with an increased max gross weight so that two people and full fuel were possible. I've flown a Symphony/GlaStar for a number of hours and it's everything a 150 should have been by way of a comfortable cabin and 160 hp.

But it is not a “standard option” as mentioned in the OP. It is an STC. “Standard option” though a bit of an oxymoron would imply it is done by the manufacturer and likely at the factory. A STC is an alteration and although sometimes a STC is owned by the manufacturer and is done by the manufacturer, it is not typically considered a standard option. In the case of the Sparrowhawk STC, it was not a Cessna offering to my knowledge.

Now I might be quibbling on semantics but aviation is an industry where it matters.

The 152 I have experience with is in fact a sparrowhawk. Cruise speeds are slightly higher than my 150 but all things considered it is probably not worth the hassle to convert. especially considering the draw backs on weight

Back