Engine Stand

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
I'm trying to decide on an engine stand to work on my O-470/IO-470 motors. Found a popular design sold by most of the parts distributors - a tripod type of unit. But it really doesn't look that sturdy. Any recommendations or user reports on a good stand? BTW, how does one best go about rotating the engine to place it flange down to both it up to the stand - sounds like that might be a tricky maneuver? feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide on an engine stand to work on my O-470/IO-470 motors. Found a popular design sold by most of the parts distributors - a tripod type of unit. But it really doesn't look that sturdy. Any recommendations or user reports on a good stand? BTW, how does one best go about rotating the engine to place it flange down to both it up to the stand - sounds like that might be a tricky maneuver? feedback is much appreciated!

Lay engine sand on its side and bolt it to the engine....

use the proper lift device that allows the engine to be rotated nose down.
I've seen two cranes use to do that too.

Thanks for the feedback. Are the tripod stands all pretty sturdy or is someone out there making one that is better than the others?

I've used one that was a homebrew get-up. But IMHO way better than the tripod. It's on wheels, and rotable. Pull the engine, line it up, bolt it up, disconnect the hoist, and rotate it up vertical. I've not seen one like it before or since.

Sounds like what I had in mind and for sure better than the tripod. Some work on the front end but probably worth it. Ya don't happen to have a picture??? Thanks for the idea!

Back