Engine reserve estimate: IO-470 in 182

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Turnkey, parts & labor, whats the high end cost a new replacement IO-470? I have a CFI/ATP friend that borrows my plane on rare occasion and all I do is ask for it to be returned with full fuel. Thinks I should charge him something.

I was ball parking $50k for a “new” TCM.

Is TBO 1600 hrs?

I'll use $45k to rebuild and 1500 TBO:

45000 / 1500hrs = $30/hr

So charge him at least $30/hr + fuel. Probably $40/hr is better to add some buffer for the annual. He's still getting a hell of a deal. A 182 rented outright (no club) is easily gonna push $200/hr.

If it’s a rare occasion and it’s a friend, why bother?
As long as he’s a trusted friend, I don’t think an extra 5-10 per year is going to amount to much either. Now if it’s 3-4 hours a month and 30-40 hours a year, I might have him contribute to the annual or something. As a kid we borrowed and loaned tractors during hay season, sometimes it included an operator, usually me! :D But, it was once or twice a year for a couple days, no charge.

Turnkey, parts & labor, whats the high end cost a new replacement IO-470? I have a CFI/ATP friend that borrows my plane on rare occasion and all I do is ask for it to be returned with full fuel. Thinks I should charge him something.

Is TBO 1600 hrs?

If I were going to put a numeric value to it, I would include prop overhaul and some other maintenance costs.

Is TBO 1600 hrs?
Well, since you're 'charging' fuel, why call it good or barter for services.

Unless he's borrowing the plane to provide instruction, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

I'll use $45k to rebuild and 1500 TBO:

45000 / 1500hrs = $30/hr

So charge him at least $30/hr + fuel. Probably $40/hr is better to add some buffer for the annual. He's still getting a hell of a deal. A 182 rented outright (no club) is easily gonna push $200/hr.

The Continental-powered 182s will have an O-470, either -L, -R, -S, or -U. The first three are about $31,500 at the Air Power site, the -U is more like $34,000. A good budget for R&R is $6,000 IME, so you're talking either $37,500 or $40,000 divided by the 1500-hour TBO, so $25-$27/hr is a good number there.

You'll also be incurring maintenance - I would expect that to be around $50/hr for a 182, so $75/hr dry is a good number to use IMO.

My was a little over $40k all in, but that included replacing or overhauling everything firewall forward and a few extras to "trick out" the engine,

He's still getting a hell of a deal. A 182 rented outright (no club) is easily gonna push $200/hr.

My school rents a 182 without fancy GPS for 118/hr wet, with 430w 128/hr and rg w/ 430w for 145/hr.

My school rents a 182 without fancy GPS for 118/hr wet, with 430w 128/hr and rg w/ 430w for 145/hr.
Where in the heck is that at?

Here in the Twin Cities a non-RNAV 172 will rent for over $150/hr wet. When my wife needed to get current in the 182 (also non-RNAV) it was $230/hr wet.

If I had access to your flight school 182 at that price I would go and rent yours whenever I wanted to practice landings or do an instrument flight. And for those rates why even learn in a 172 or archer, you'll have more room inside, nicer climb during summer, etc.

Oh yeah, how many other planes do they have? You just listed (3) 182's to get things started.

$35,000-$45,000....depends on who does it and where you get your new engine.

Where in the heck is that at?

Here in the Twin Cities a non-RNAV 172 will rent for over $150/hr wet. When my wife needed to get current in the 182 (also non-RNAV) it was $230/hr wet.

If I had access to your flight school 182 at that price I would go and rent yours whenever I wanted to practice landings or do an instrument flight. And for those rates why even learn in a 172 or archer, you'll have more room inside, nicer climb during summer, etc.

Denver. The reason you don't learn in them is you need 100 hours to take them out solo (insurance). And prices for other aircraft are really attractive as well (e.g. $75/hr for a 152).

Is there an up front buy in or monthly membership fee to get the these so cheap?

I am thinking I should fly out to Denver and rent the non-IFR 182 to do some mountain training. Do you mind telling me which FBO?

Posts crossed, thanks for the info!

Is there an up front buy in or monthly membership fee to get the these so cheap?

I am thinking I should fly out to Denver and rent the non-IFR 182 to do some mountain training. Do you mind telling me which FBO?

Posts crossed, thanks for the info!

Prices not on the website are as follow (I'm doing from memory, so they might be off a couple bucks here or there). $30 or $35/month (w/ or w/o insurance) unlimited. or $12 or $15 per rental (w/ or w/o insurance). I think Mt instruction is like $50/hr. Primary is $42 and I think I pay $44 for my instrument instruction. PM if you're thinking about it and I can give you the low down on some of the instructors.

Back