Engine out- Xavion will land it...?!?!?

It's a neat app, definitely thinking in the right direction. I'd like to see it on google glass though.

"We don't need no stinkin' pilots" ...

Unless it has auto-throttle capabilities and can lower the flaps and landing gear, it might be hard to land the plane .... :)

Thats cute.

Hardly original, my GNS430 does the same thing, twist the big knob all the way to the right, direct, enter, enter. Proc-> select approach if needed. If I had the autopilot on she flys the new flight plan.

I also don't need to worry about dropping the damn thing or even looking at the screen, I can find the nearest airport and go direct to without even looking at the 430.

Guess the app is better than angry birds, however it is a app I also won't be wasting money or space on.

Last edited:
So many new apps ,so little time. Should be incorporated in Ff .

Thats cute.

Hardly original, my GNS430 does the same thing, twist the big knob all the way to the right, direct, enter, enter. Proc-> select approach if needed. If I had the autopilot on she flys the new flight plan.

I also don't need to worry about dropping the damn thing or even looking at the screen, I can find the nearest airport and go direct to without even looking at the 430.

Guess the app is better than angry birds, however it is a app I also won't be wasting money or space on.

Your 430 does nothing like this. It takes you to a nearest airport that may well not be in gliding distance based on winds and runway direction.

Your 430 does nothing like this. It takes you to a nearest airport that may well not be in gliding distance based on winds and runway direction.

Really?

430 takes me to the nearest airport, if it's out of range it's out of range.

As someone who has had the pleasure of two complete engine failures, this app seems like more of a gimmick.

The 430 does not calculate aircraft performance or winds. It just goes for straight line distance. Xavion takes aircraft performance and wind conditions, calculates which field you can make it to and gives vertical guidance. It seems like a great tool to have in an emergency, and almost makes me want to buy an iPad.

Consider that the NTSB calculated that Sullenberger could have gotten his airbus back to the airport. He had no way to determine this in the instant that he lost his engines, but this app could. This technology could improve safety across all aviation.

Last edited:
I'm curious how it connects to autopilots via wifi. I'm building an RV-9A, with Dynon APs, and there is no provision for wifi connection. Nor would I want one! A wired connection, sure.

As other commenters have said, I hope the Xavion maker is in negotiations with WingX and ForeFlight to incorporate their software into those products.

Unless it has auto-throttle capabilities and can lower the flaps and landing gear, it might be hard to land the plane

I think it was designed for emergency situations to either help the pilot with a failed engine or in IMC arrive safely at the best nearest airport at the proper altitude and flight direction to land, perhaps roughly, but safely; or

...my GNS430 does the same thing, twist the big knob all the way to the right, direct, enter, enter. Proc-> select approach if needed.
make it as easy as possible for a non-pilot pax to fly the airplane to a safe landing should the pilot stroke out.

Very briefly, an outfit called Vertical Power incorporated the Xavion tech into its product (VP-400, now discontinued) to where you just pushed a big red button, pulled the throttle to idle and the system would fly down to the best nearest runway. Offered for reasons above.

Last edited:
For those frustrated by Xavion's change in terms after spending $100 on it, a class action suit is being explored. Drop me a note of you should be included.

Hopefully you guys can put this guy out of business. Clearly GA doesn't need the kind of innovation that he's bringing to the table.

its things like this that make me really depressed about the state of GA and the USA in general that my generation is inheriting from you guys. oh well, Merry Christmas everyone.

Wouldn't it be better to.... fly the plane?

for those beating on Xavion, have you ever used it or seen a demo? The app itself is very impressive (if your planes glides better than a brick:)). The nearest function of the 430 doesn't come close to what this one does. Following of the guidance of this, it puts you on final at the correct speed and altitude to make the runway.

Really?

430 takes me to the nearest airport, if it's out of range it's out of range.

I'm not a user Xavion, and won't be, but you clearly don't understand the functionality that's built into it and how it differs from loading an instrument approach.

Last edited:
Hopefully you guys can put this guy out of business. Clearly GA doesn't need the kind of innovation that he's bringing to the table.

its things like this that make me really depressed about the state of GA and the USA in general that my generation is inheriting from you guys. oh well, Merry Christmas everyone.

GA also doesn't need unscrupulous business practices. Going from a one time $100 fee to $240/year subscription is a pretty big bait-n-switch. The honorable thing would have been a refund for those who didn't want to "upgrade."

Back