Engine out training

abqtj

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
abqtj
Question for students and/or instructors: what's the typical altitude you get down to before recovering while performing the engine out procedure?

PTS requires maneuvers be completed above 2500 AGL right? That said in the vicinity of an airport we've done it to a normal landing during PPL training

To the point I have no question that they could make the landing.

I've also done it over strips they've never landed at before, hard and soft surface and had them actually land. As long as you make sure it safe and you can bail them out of they do something stupid, it's all good.

Pull the power abeam the numbers and glide on in. No additional power needed and land on the numbers you get a high score. Points taken off for landing long. Tendency is to land long. Keep practicing!

Question for students and/or instructors: what's the typical altitude you get down to before recovering while performing the engine out procedure?
usually to a point where my cfi considered the landing assured, usually around 500-ft agl. but we would simulate engine out landings in the pattern all the way to landing.

usually to a point where my cfi considered the landing assured, usually around 500-ft agl. but we would simulate engine out landings in the pattern all the way to landing.
This. 500' was the lowest I've ever gone.

I see you're in ABQ, is your practice area NW of Double Eagle? All of that desert terrain would allow for lower, but it's not necessary nor would I recommend it.

Something else I'll add: have your CFI introduce you to power off 180's, even though they're not required for the private certificate, they're a great maneuver to have some experience with if an engine failure were to occur.

Last edited:
600 ft in my last one, today 400 ft in pattern all the way to low approach landing, then one when he slipped from 1000 agl to about 40 agl while I was trying to remember how many underwear I was wearing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All of the replies are great, thank you.

This. 500' was the lowest I've ever gone.

I see you're in ABQ, is your practice area NW of Double Eagle? All of that desert terrain would allow for lower, but it's not necessary nor would I recommend it.

Something else I'll add: have your CFI introduce you to power off 180's, even though they're not required for the private certificate, they're a great maneuver to have some experience with if an engine failure were to occur.

They have two areas here, one is north of Rio Rancho and the other is south and east of Los Lunas.

Yesterday during my lesson we did an engine failure simulation. We've done them virtually every lesson. But this time we went way lower than ever before putting power back in.

So low I thought we were actually landing on the dirt road we selected. It was a bit exciting to say the least!

The practice area we use here is mostly forest with plowed fields all around. Every time we do simulated engine failures, I begin the recovery at 500'. We'll usually dip a bit below as we get it up to Vy. Sometimes I let it go until 300' if things are going really well.

I second teaching power off 180s to PPL studs even if you don't call it that. It normalizes the thought process for when it suddenly becomes necessary to select and hit key positions on an unimproved surface.

Pull the power abeam the numbers and glide on in. No additional power needed and land on the numbers you get a high score. Points taken off for landing long. Tendency is to land long. Keep practicing!

Zero points for landing short, though.

I guess I'll post the video from the training

Around 3:30 is the engine out simulation.

It seems to vary a lot. Never above 500 feet. Occasionally down to 50 over a field. But honestly, the best training is zero, on a runway. "Fail" the engine at cruise altitude, glide to an airport, and land.

Back