Engine-out landings

BigAL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BigAL
I've had this question for a while, haven't brought it up to the CFI, yet. It came up yesterday during an engine out practice. I went for the dirt road below us, could see we would have probably hit a tree along the road, so my out was a field we farm....and I know it well. Then we went around, did not land. I asked him what he would have done and he would have tried to make the highway. It's kind of a busy two lane, for around here anyway, was not near a town, and has paved shoulders. IMHO that is not only putting the planes' passengers at more risk, but also those that are on the highway. My dad said we was taught(in the 70's) to never land on a highway, dirt road at most.

What is your opinion and/or what were you told to do by your CFI?

Thanks for the help.

generally i prefer the field next to the road instead of the road itself. but there are exceptions to every rule.

Tony_w_Sheriff.JPG

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Down around Ulysses? Where is the thread on this pic?

Would have looked better if you were in the middle of a DUI test.:rofl:

Probably a serious situation and I shouldn't laugh, but I did.:yesnod:

Thanks, Tony.

I've had this question for a while, haven't brought it up to the CFI, yet. It came up yesterday during an engine out practice. I went for the dirt road below us, could see we would have probably hit a tree along the road, so my out was a field we farm....and I know it well. Then we went around, did not land. I asked him what he would have done and he would have tried to make the highway. It's kind of a busy two lane, for around here anyway, was not near a town, and has paved shoulders. IMHO that is not only putting the planes' passengers at more risk, but also those that are on the highway. My dad said we was taught(in the 70's) to never land on a highway, dirt road at most.

What is your opinion and/or what were you told to do by your CFI?

Thanks for the help.

My opinion: If there is a field - go for it. That is based on my experience towing a Navion down a two lane rural road from the field wher it was landed to a better field to take off from (after the engine was overhauled and the broken crank replaced) - the road would have been a disaster - poles, signs, mailboxes, wires, stuff, stuff and more stuff less than 1/2 of a Navion width from the centerline.

Exception: Ain't no field. A couple years ago someone put a C-150 on southbound I-75 along my route home - he managed to merge with the rush hour traffic - no damage.

Thanks, Tony.

S.O.P. - Mr. Condon doesn't believe in landing at airports. Too many airplanes to dodge...:D

Just make sure it's a stabilized approach - or you will be expecting a 709 ride from the FSDO that covers MD.

actually this was in Ames. I'll search around and see if I can find a thread about this flight. It was a really cool flight. And Geoff is right, airports are scary!

Thanks, Tony.

S.O.P. - Mr. Condon doesn't believe in landing at airports. Too many airplanes to dodge...:D

CrewDawg?! :mad2: I didn't put 2 & 2 together. Well, now that I know...you won't mind if I call ya a turd, then...right?:D

Yep, I'm slow.:redface:

While there are no hard and fast rules, smushing into the dirt is generally preferable to getting cartwheeled into a hard surface by a light pole.

CrewDawg?! :mad2: I didn't put 2 & 2 together. Well, now that I know...you won't mind if I call ya a turd, then...right?:D

Yep, I'm slow.:redface:

Just to be clear, I have never (yet) met Mr. Condon in person - but I have been reading about his antics for a number of years - here and elsewhere. Nor have I (yet) flown a glider.

2010 here we come! :)

My rule of thumb is pick a field near a road. I generally avoid roads with the exception of the small dirts roads out in the middle of nowhere and even then I try to plan my approach so I can divert to the side of the road if necessary.

Feilds are usually big and easy to hit. Road generally are narrower than the airplane and often have obstacals along the side. I have a freind who while flying cross country in his glider, with his wife following with the car and trailer, found he was going to have to land on the road. Only problem was the road had snow pickets along the sides of it. No problem he radioed his wife that he was landing, she just drove down each side of the road with the car knocking over all the snow pickets before he landed.

In a real emergency I want to land somewhere were some will find me quickly in the event it doesn't go as smoothly as I would like.

Wish I had had a camera with me for my event simliar to Tony's. My only difference would have been the State Trooper was driving an unmarked Green Chevy Pickup and he had the Firetruck and Ambulance behind him. Behind them would have been the Chevron Gas Station that I had just got back from buying a sandwich to eat while I waited for my trailer to show up.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Notice how all the PoA glider pilots are picking up on this. I have had too many to count non-airport landings in a glider. I NEVER landed on a road. I don't recall even thinking about landing on a road. And I never once damaged my glider following this practice. Now that I am flying powered aircraft, I am pretty sure I would continue this. If you are over a city, then maybe a road is the a better choice than hitting a building. Otherwise, pick a nice field, near a road if possible.

Over a month ago on my last flight lesson we did an engine out. Best I recall we were at 2,000ft when my CFI pulled the trottle to idle. Long story short my CFI told me to pick a spot to land. I picked a huge field next to a paved road (A road I travel to get to the airport. So I always remember about this on that road).

Long story short, my CFI told me I made a great choice by picking that field. It was easy for me. It was the only big field without cows, tree's, or powerlines on it. lol

Some roads are actually worthy landing strips. Usually not, but the chance that it might is worth looking at, sometimes.

First, I pick a field next to a road, if possible. This is standard even without considering landing on it, but just to be near a road for access after the landing.

Next, I might line up on the road if it looks wide enough and no traffic, but watching for power lines, poles, etc, and if it looks clear enough on short final, or if not, I side-step to the open field.

Gliders do come in a hair slower than a lot of other aircraft, though. I posted up my one gliding attempt.

As always, depends on the road and the field. Lots of stuff can hide in fields. I suppose it really depends on what you see outside the airplane when the mill dies. May it never happen to any of you.

During jump class the instructor said "avoid straight lines"

Huh?

If we have to jump away from the drop zone, or your radio receiver doesn't work steer away from straight lines.

Straight lines are roads (with power lines) fences, wires. Bad stuff for wayward student parachutists. It was a simple concept that might stick if you were geeked after an unexpected exit. Plus it makes no sense w/o asking the question so you remember it.

In my case, tried the road. Had almost stopped when I clipped an unevenly spaced telephone pole.

Attachments

• 4216V_crash3 001.jpg
    4216V_crash3 001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 37
Yep here comes 2010...in my neck of the woods, in many cases, roads may be preferable to off-roads. Just about every place here is populated and full of suburban housing or hilly, rocky, wooded, full of obstructions and dangerous. Many roads here I would not touch either...try and find a straight road here. The interstates and medians are probably the best choices, and there are a few abandoned airports that may be usable. Many times, ala Sully decisionmaking, the river is the best choice for a place to put down. Heck, my emergency T-O power out choices off of every runway at KPOU are either obstructed or populated.

I don't have the glider experience that many have here nor even the SEL that some of the posters have but I am generally better looking that many that have posted so with that in mind I'd say to the OP that you also have to take into account where your power out may occur. If its out where Tony lives in Kansas or Iowa or even in South Central Pennsylvania you are going to have a lot of nice choices of fields to put down in ( land with the furrows if plowed) If your taking off from an airport with homes and lots of buidlings near by such as PNE then your best bet may be a road or river. In heavily wooded or Mountainous terrain your gonna have to asses the situation as it occurs. One may think that in craggy or wooded mountains a road would be preferred but the roads in mountainous areas are often not very straight. My thinking is to consider and simulate all options in practice so you have more than on trick in your bag. No one can say that roads are always better or fields are always better.

You may never know when and where. Practice, Practice, Practice and be on your game. Important factores. KISS
1) Best Glide
2) Switch tanks
3) Pick Field
Adjust within reason..
This can also can be T/0 and landing. When I give a BFR this, is a strong weakness.
Assume a runway approach top of house, trees, powerline etc.....
There are many cases when landing has been made and people walk away with no injuries.
Happy Holiday and safe Flying

generally i prefer the field next to the road instead of the road itself. but there are exceptions to every rule.

Roads are not always good.. but they are great with no side marker reflectors.
Most gliders can get down and stopped in 1000ft. Some 400ft.
It's not me.. but I was there to pick him up.

Attachments

• Landout Belmont Road.jpg
    Landout Belmont Road.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 16
Notice how all the PoA glider pilots are picking up on this. I have had too many to count non-airport landings in a glider. I NEVER landed on a road. I don't recall even thinking about landing on a road. And I never once damaged my glider following this practice. Now that I am flying powered aircraft, I am pretty sure I would continue this. If you are over a city, then maybe a road is the a better choice than hitting a building. Otherwise, pick a nice field, near a road if possible.

Out here.. fields are circular with irrigation pipes everywhere.
If you don't know the field.. pick a lakebed or a runway.

But then us glider guys always keep a known landable surveyed spot within glide distance.. :rofl:

Back