Engine Monitor

I have a JPI 830 sitting where the #2 nav head would be in a typical panel (I've got an HSI so the #2 head is where most installations have the #1 head). My other tiny beech engine gauges (including MP and Tach) are on the far right of the panel. I really like having the MP/RPM displayed on the JPI. Fuelflow is a real convenient add on. My old OAT guage was a bit of a kludge so I was happy to see that replaced with the JPI as well.

I have all the other options too (Oil pressure/temperature, etc... ). Nice to have a backup to my scan.

Do you know if JPI offers a flush mount option? I really like the functionality of the 830, but it sure looks strange sitting out of the panel when everything around it is flush mounted.

Not that I'am aware of. I suppose you could cut a rectangular hole in the panel and fab a bracket that sets the 3 1/4" instrument hole back a half an inch or so.

Not that I'am aware of. I suppose you could cut a rectangular hole in the panel and fab a bracket that sets the 3 1/4" instrument hole back a half an inch or so.

If you're going to do that, be sure to check with JPI and ensure that doing such a thing will still allow for adequate cooling. Some devices of that type rely on convective and radiative cooling from the exterior case, and if you surround that with a bunch of metal, it may overheat.

If you're going to do that, be sure to check with JPI and ensure that doing such a thing will still allow for adequate cooling. Some devices of that type rely on convective and radiative cooling from the exterior case, and if you surround that with a bunch of metal, it may overheat.

Also, I have been told by my avionics shop that the P28 panel is structural and you need a 337 if you modify it.

Sorry bout your luck John, it's tough when your airplane isn't available.

Sorry bout your luck John, it's tough when your airplane isn't available.

You have no idea. I started renting about a month ago, just so I had a way to fly. I got checked out in an Arrow and an Archer. I see a light at the end of the tunnel, but sometimes I wonder if it is just the headlight on the train, heading straight for me. :dunno:

Then I take it you were getting more done to it than just the Insight monitor.

I have an Arrow and love it so far.

Then I take it you were getting more done to it than just the Insight monitor.

I have an Arrow and love it so far.

The monitor is part of an effort to solve a bigger problem. The plane runs rough and the EGT rises between 2300 and 2450 RPMs. We are now pretty sure it is overall running lean and it looks like there is an alternate carb for the plane that may fix it. The current carb has an exonomizer jet, that leans in the mid range. But, this adventure has been going on a couple of months and has included four different carbs and a new cylinder (not related, but it was another delay). There was also a bolt for the mixture bracket on the carb that broke and had to be ordered from Piper (cost me a week). It is always something, so the probe didn't surprise me that much.

If somebody in this area told me that, I'd be tempted to get a second opinion on the issue.
Also, I have been told by my avionics shop that the P28 panel is structural and you need a 337 if you modify it.

Wish I could afford to put an all metal panel in the Arrow. I really don't care for that piper plastic stuff.

One of the CHT probes was bad out of the box and he doesn't want to recowl, so we are looking at at least one more day. :mad2:

Ok, here it is:
pave5ynu.jpg

6yhujevy.jpg

That is a nice looking instrument. So if you don't mind look back to I think post 110 and tell me where you would like to see the instrument if it were your panel.

Well, If it were my plane, it would bug me to be so close to the standard six pack and yet, not quite. I would do like you said and get rid of the ADF, move the turn and bank where it belongs and put the monitor where the turn and bank was.

I flew to TRI today and came up with the same thought. It would just be too hard to use hidden down low. The nice thing about it is that I don't have to hook up all the optional stuff like oil pressure and such right now but can do so at a latter date. The additional info could make it a more valuable instrument and then it would make even more sense to have it closer to my scan.

Back