Engine Monitor- what would be some alarm bells if seen?

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
So I'm new to this engine monitor stuff. My "new" Mooney has a JPI edm830. I recall hearing one advantage is you can sometimes "see" problems within the engine on there before anything is heard or anything actually goes sideways...

So besides using it to monitor my CHTs or find EGT peak and lean one side or other and basic parameters like oil temp/pressure, what "things" would a wise pilot be glancing at to know if they have an unhappy engine on an engine monitor?

For my Lycoming O360 with a carb.
Oil temp sitting @ 180 deg. Higher or lower than ask why.
CHT at or below 400. Going above 450 would be an urgent alert.
EGT lean to target of 1500. Going past 1550 would be concerning. Going past 1650 would be an urgent alert. One cylinder having abnormally low EGT would be concerning and quite possibly an urgent alert.

The temps on the four cylinders are reasonably in line with each other. Not exactly but ballpark and get used to what they look like to be aware of something changing.

I flew before having an engine monitor. Now that I have one, I think it would make me nervous not to have one. I guess it is what you get used to.

I also like downloading the data from the engine monitor onto a memory card/stick then uploading it into Savvy Aviation where it is then presented graphically for me to look at.

One cylinder having abnormally low EGT would be concerning and quite possibly an urgent alert.
One cylinder with an abnormally high EGT might indicate a spark plug issue.

I have a new 830 that I am waiting to install (under supervision) during my annual late Fall. Since it’s not primary, you should be able to program a custom alarm which can be at a different limit than the POH for the early warning you seek.

A good friend recently noted on a cross country flight that one cylinder had a reading (I believe it was EGT) that was slightly different than what was normally seen although he said the engine was smooth and seemed to perform as always. During annual his rather wise A&P suggested to pull the cylinder jug on his Lycoming IO-360. The cylinder looked good but the cam lobe was nearly wiped away. The fix will be expensive and they are considering options.

Recently in my experimental that requires electrical power I noticed a slightly elevated charging rate. I had it set to alarm me and it did. I've since repaired the problem (regulator).

I also like to monitor my idle oil pressure when the engine is hot (after landing). Changes could be an early indicator of problems (such as bearing wear).

For my Lycoming O360 with a carb.
Oil temp sitting @ 180 deg. Higher or lower than ask why.
CHT at or below 400. Going above 450 would be an urgent alert.
EGT lean to target of 1500. Going past 1550 would be concerning. Going past 1650 would be an urgent alert. One cylinder having abnormally low EGT would be concerning and quite possibly an urgent alert.

The temps on the four cylinders are reasonably in line with each other. Not exactly but ballpark and get used to what they look like to be aware of something changing.

I flew before having an engine monitor. Now that I have one, I think it would make me nervous not to have one. I guess it is what you get used to.

I also like downloading the data from the engine monitor onto a memory card/stick then uploading it into Savvy Aviation where it is then presented graphically for me to look at.

Yea my old Cessna 140 had oil pressure and oil temp - so that’s all I was used to.

do you pay for the saavy exhaust valve alogorythm or just look it over in the free viewer?

Others are well covered -- the "CLD" warning for a cylinder rapidly cooling (the opposite of the spiked EGT warning) over some set rate is a nice way to suss out a plugged injector or other power-robbing nuisance.

do you pay for the saavy exhaust valve alogorythm or just look it over in the free viewer?
I do pay for the subscription but that is because I had a question I specifically wanted to open a ticket for.

I would suggest try the free version first and see what you think. Easy enough to then upgrade to the paid version if you like what you initially get but you want additional information or services.

I have a new 830 that I am waiting to install (under supervision) during my annual late Fall. Since it’s not primary, you should be able to program a custom alarm which can be at a different limit than the POH for the early warning you seek.

Others are well covered -- the "CLD" warning for a cylinder rapidly cooling (the opposite of the spiked EGT warning) over some set rate is a nice way to suss out a plugged injector or other power-robbing nuisance.

looks like I need to set up some warnings /alarms… I’ve not done much with it besides the bare bone basics of using it in flight. Sounds like the alarms are a good idea…

Get used to what normal looks like for YOUR engine. It is highly dependent on the installation so it may not be the same as another plane of the same engine/type. Then, just make sure you take note if anything happens that is abnormal.

I also use it to keep my CHT's below 380 for a happy engine. I also use it to see when my engine has sufficiently heated up for a takeoff (more important in winter). I like my CHT's to be over 200 prior to takeoff.

200? I won't power to taxi until 275*! Since Continental has a minimum takeoff oil temp of 70*, it works out pretty well.

I've worked hard to get my 0-520 temps level with each other. Typical cruise CHT is 375* and the variation is quite small. As for diagnosing engine issues? More times than not a new deviation on one cylinder is a probe issue. My own experience with performance diagnostics depends more on my MP gauge and the fuel flow monitor. The FS-450 is my favorite added instrument. I had the option to add fuel function to my EDM. I chose a separate instrument and I'm happy I did. Highly recommended.

200? I won't power to taxi until 275*! Since Continental has a minimum takeoff oil temp of 70*, it works out pretty well.

I've worked hard to get my 0-520 temps level with each other. Typical cruise CHT is 375* and the variation is quite small. As for diagnosing engine issues? More times than not a new deviation on one cylinder is a probe issue. My own experience with performance diagnostics depends more on my MP gauge and the fuel flow monitor. The FS-450 is my favorite added instrument. I had the option to add fuel function to my EDM. I chose a separate instrument and I'm happy I did. Highly recommended.

what is it about separate that you like over combined?

Both instruments display the info I want without pushing any buttons.

Simply put, you look at CHTs to look for problems. Rapidly rising CHTs are a sign of concern, as are excessively high CHTs. High CHTs are indicative of high internal cylinder pressures, which put stress on the engine. And hot metal is weak metal. You add these two together, and you have a recipe for damage.

Rapidly rising CHTs can result from detonation and preignition. Those are bad and require immediate action. Look for a CHT trend on the take-off roll; if something is wrong here (e.g. misfueling), responding to an unusually rapid rise of CHTs will be your only possibility of detecting a problem before you are in the air.

EGTs are simply a means to assess how you have set your mixture; specifically, where is your mixture in relation to peak EGT. There is no good or bad EGT; instead, you choose a mixture setting that results in a desirable compromise between performance, engine temperatures (CHTs) and mechanical stress, suitable for the phase of flight you are in. Contrary to popular belief, there is absolutely no advantage to having the EGT bars all neatly aligned on the engine monitor.

Oil temperature is also important. Make sure it's warm enough before you do the run-up and take-off. Taxi? Unless you are parked in the grass, it takes so little power to taxi that I am not concerned about it. In cruise, you want the oil warm enough to get rid of water (which is why in the winter months I tape off part of the oil cooler).

Shock cooling? People who understand engines much better than I do call it a myth.

If you are in Oshkosh, you can come to my engine management seminar on Monday (10AM, EAA Forum Stage 4) or Tuesday (11AM, American Bonanza Society tent) and we'll go over all of the above in much more detail.

- Martin

I am fairly certain that the 730/830 has a lead for an alarm. Some owners connect that to a red light to flag the issue. You could also connect that to a Mallory Sonalert from mouser which sounds like a stall warning horn. These are fairly inexpensive.

Certified primary units have a panel light for CHT redline. That value is factory programmed as part of the STC. Redline is way higher than most of us are comfortable with.

If you foul a plug, the engine monitor will tell you which plug. It will tell you when a cylinder is getting too hot and you need to shallow out your climb and/or richen the mixture. And, with a fuel flow sensor, it will increase your range by letting you know more precisely how much fuel you are using.

Back