Engine Monitor, CHT or...

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
Hi!

My normally aspirated O-360-A4M is currently being overhauled. I currently only have an EGT gauge installed and I am considering whether or not to install an engine monitor or at least a CHT gauge. The engine is installed in a C172 and the cowl seems to provide more than adequate airflow. I have never seen high oil temps so I could probably still be OK without a CHT...

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks!

Electronics intercontinental SR-8A-4 is what I'd put on. And only connect the CHT probes for leaning/cooling info. The other 4 temp displays would be good for OAT and oil temp and carb temp and one (1) EGT probe. Used ones can be ebayed. Seems like a good time to install right now.

Phlame away.

Oil temps tell you precisely nothing about cylinder head temps.

Electronics intercontinental SR-8A-4 is what I'd put on. And only connect the CHT probes for leaning/cooling info. The other 4 temp displays would be good for OAT and oil temp and carb temp and one (1) EGT probe. Used ones can be ebayed. Seems like a good time to install right now.

Phlame away.

That's actually one I was considering... Thanks!

I would agree that you aren't able to definitively say what a CHT is based on oil temp, but assuming no oil leaks, a higher oil temp will translate to a higher CHT. At least that's been my experience...

Oil temperature will not help you determine if you're running a cylinder too hot. Not sure what else matters.

Having a CHT for each jug is huge for me, especially if I’m flying IMC/night/over nasty stuff.

To be able to read what the oil temp is in a digital number with accuracy is very helpful in engine diagnosis and trend monitoring. Much better than a fat needle on a small analogue scale. One might be able to figure out neat relationships between CHT, fuel burn, engine cooling, vernatherm timing... By observing these various values, one can derive and correlate operational habits that directly effect CHT. Fun with numbers to delete the TBO conundrum.

1/5

I put in a JPI EDM-830 when I overhauled the engine in my Arrow. It cost about $2200 for the unit and $2000 for the install. I can download all of the engine parameters for each flight and watch for trends, troubleshoot issues, etc.... I am happy with it so far.

RzrVxAt_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back