Engine Logbook

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Just for my general fund of knowledge, what items do an engine logbook cover? Are any of the accessories included or are they part of the airframe logbook?

To add on with a specific question, would the replacement of the rubber engine mounts and related hardware be logged in the engine or tha airframe logbook?

Also, would a simple wood prop need its own logbook or are entries in the airframe logbook be sufficient?

Engine and the related accessories will all go into the Engine logbook. The wooden prop will need its own logbook.

what items do an engine logbook cover?
One way to define this is to use the respective parts manuals as a guide. Another method uses the engine TCDS as a guide of what goes in what book but I find the IPC works better for most people.

Unless your prop has a required mx schedule you usually dont get a benefit from a separate log as compared to your engine and the airframe logbook would be the preferred logbook to use

But just keep in mind there is no requirement to keep separate logbooks only a singular maintence record. So its really your call how you manage those records

A "logbook" can be one of these if you so desire

img_3849_1_1.jpg

And there is no requirement to separate engine, airframe or propeller or accessories. Post #3 sums it up nicely.

But just keep in mind there is no requirement to keep separate logbooks only a singular maintence record. So its really your call how you manage those records
Seems like that would be inconvenient when the airplane ultimately gets parted out and the airframe, engine, and prop goe three different directions.

Entry #1:

“Sapling planted on xx/xx/xxxx”. :)

I do keep a separate log for my wooden Sensenich. A separate log is certainly not a requirement but it makes it a bit easier to record inspections, torques, tracking, repairs, etc. Besides, if I were to sell it to upgrade, I have a record to give the buyer of how it was taken care of ...

Seems like that would be inconvenient when the airplane ultimately gets parted out and the airframe, engine, and prop goe three different directions.
Not really. While the items may go in different directions at that point the value of the individual logbooks varies with some logs simply thrown out. Same happens if you exchange a prop or engine and once they extract the total time from the old log it usually gets file 13 and the item gets a new logbook if applicable.

Knew several private owners along with some commercial operators who use/used a single record for all mx. Kept things simple and sequential. But as mentioned above your maintenance record can consist of any medium in any format sole long as you can comply with 91.417.

Also, nothing stopping you from recording the engine mounts in both logbooks. It would be a good idea to indicate that there is the same log entry in the other logbook.

I know I have a couple done like this.

Back