Engine guages modernization

s35pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
s35pilot
I'm shopping for something to replace my old engine guages (oil pressure, oil temp, amps, volts, L/R fuel level). I already have an engine analyzer that works fine. I want something that will be acceptable as "primary" by the FAA.

I'm looking at the CGR-30C. It's a bit pricey. Does anybody here have any experience with it or less expensive alternatives?

https://www.iflyei.com/product/cgr-30c/

I used to have the EI CGR-30P, and I have installed a number of CGR's, including the dual system which was the P and the C. They are great gauges and work well. EI is a fantastic company to work with.

EI makes you feel better about temps, because they record lower.

If by lower you mean, more accurate. Yes. Which is why I ditched JPI. 450 degrees on a 2 degree climbout on the 2 front cylinders and pushing 400 while in S&L? Yeah right. But you also think Jerry is an amazing pilot, so...

If by lower you mean, more accurate. Yes. Which is why I ditched JPI. 450 degrees on a 2 degree climbout on the 2 front cylinders and pushing 400 while in S&L? Yeah right. But you also think Jerry is an amazing pilot, so...

Definitely not more accurate, given all the cylinder issues my mechanic sees on EI planes vs JPI planes.

But I've 1) not made such a claim, and 2) have actually flown with Jerry, so your strawman must be relying on alternate facts...or perhaps alternate minimums.

I have an MVP-50. EI has been a joy to work with.

Amusingly, I have both that and the JPI 830 in my plane. Everything with the exception of the fuel flow (for no real good reason) is duplicated on both. I've not seen a whole lot of discrepancy other than the red lines on things like the low end of the oil temperature scale are in different places. The MVP-50 has the official values.

Definitely not more accurate, given all the cylinder issues my mechanic sees on EI planes vs JPI planes.

But I've 1) not made such a claim, and 2) have actually flown with Jerry, so your strawman must be relying on alternate facts...or perhaps alternate minimums.

You've stated as much about Jerry in the past. Just as I can't trust a flat earther on their claimed knowledge of physics, I can't trust someone holding the opinion of Jerry's piloting skills you do to know much else about aviation. Credibility of the witness and all that.

My EI is WAY more accurate than the JPI. The JPI was outside at least 1 standard deviation in error.

We are considering the GI275 EHIS to replace our aging JP|, anyone have any experience with the GI275 used as an engine analyzer? Why GI275? Matched set, we already have two GI275's now, an AI and HSI.

We are considering the GI275 EHIS to replace our aging JP|, anyone have any experience with the GI275 used as an engine analyzer? Why GI275? Matched set, we already have two GI275's now, an AI and HSI.

I have a GI275 EIS. I've mainly went with it because my stack is all Garmin and I've been pretty happy with Garmin and the shop that did the install. I was able to remove the fuel gauges, oil temp, oil pressure, ammeter, tach and EGT gauge. I like that it fit into my panel and I'm very happy with the results. Only issues I've had is that I cannot download the data without using Garmin Pilot and I currently cannot update the navigation database that was required to get accurate information on the fuel planning page. I suspect you would not have the database issue if you have other GI275's.2021-10-12 21.25.27-2.jpg

CGR-30C is probably your most cost effective choice. The other primary systems from JPI and EI have EGT/CHT/FF and cost more.

Aerospace Logic has some nice digital primary gauges. You might be able to work out a combination that does what you want for less than a 30C but I doubt it.

CGR-30C is probably your most cost effective choice. The other primary systems from JPI and EI have EGT/CHT/FF and cost more.
CGR-30P and GI275 are round, like the rest of the steam gauges. JPI is like a G5: fits in a round hole but will stick out unless you use a recess mount. The MVP50 isn't compatible at all with round holes.
Aerospace Logic has some nice digital primary gauges. You might be able to work out a combination that does what you want for less than a 30C but I doubt it.
True, but a lot less capability though.

I've installed a couple JPI systems in legacy airplanes. Never felt happy about replacing the original factory gauges. I prefer to use them in addition to the factory stuff. Those old analog gauges are still happily doing their jobs after 40 and 50 years. Sure, the new digital stuff is pretty but will they still be working 40-50 years from now?

I've installed a couple JPI systems in legacy airplanes. Never felt happy about replacing the original factory gauges. I prefer to use them in addition to the factory stuff. Those old analog gauges are still happily doing their jobs after 40 and 50 years. Sure, the new digital stuff is pretty but will they still be working 40-50 years from now?

The way some of this stuff ages, move the decimal point. Will it be working 4-5 years from now?

Back