Engine failure

eng4ksa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eng4ksa
If I have an engine failure and I decided to take a road as te best field to land. Do I have to land with the direction of the traffic or opposite direction of the traffic?

FARs require to land with the flow of traffic in an engine out scenario.

If it's a two lane-road you're going to deal with traffic in both directions. If a divided highway, I'd go with the flow of traffic. But that's just my preference. YMMV.

I know, I know... don't feed the troll. :rolleyes:

If you seriously can't figure it out, please see if you can spot a texting driver in the oncoming traffic and aim for that spot.
two birds with one stone!

troll-lolo-lolo- loolllll lol-lol-lollololllll

What hurts less..?

Landing in the opposite direction of a truck load of dynamite or landing in the same direction of a truck loaded with dynamite..??

Can you imagine landing against the flow of traffic?

C'mon man...this should be a no-brainer.

Ignore all the prior posts. You should know the most important thing is landing into the wind. Damn the traffic direction.

Don't they teach anything useful in ground school any more?

Ignore all the prior posts. You should know the most important thing is landing into the wind. Damn the traffic direction.

Don't they teach anything useful in ground school any more?
Those crosswind freeway landings are just the worst.

Everyone knows that once you pull the handle, the parachute takes care of the landing. There is no "direction of landing". <snark>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I have an engine failure and I decided to take a road as te best field to land. Do I have to land with the direction of the traffic or opposite direction of the traffic?
Well, if ya had one them thar flying cars I suppose they could give you a ticket for driving the wrong way

Can you land on a Parkway? Or only Expressways? You can't drive a truck on a Parkway, so I would think a plane is a no-go either.

34 replies and no one states the obvious?

Forget the traffic direction, DEPLOY THE CHUTE!

[EDIT -- sorry I missed it. Post #26. Nevermind.......]

Nope. 65. One of the freeways on the way to Vegas is 70. I mean... It's THE freeway but I forget which number it is. Maybe the 10?

The 15 goes to Vegas, and the 10 goes to Phoenix, as I recall?

The 15 goes to Vegas, and the 10 goes to Phoenix, as I recall?
Yep. You win. I don't drive to either, so my recollection is lacking. Now if you want to talk Los Angeles area freeways, I've spent the equivalent of days parked on each of em.

Back