Engine failure over water?

Are you equipped to go down in cold water?

No more than anyone else is equipped for that. However, I'm not totally sure what the tempature of the water has to do with flying over it? I understand the theory that climbing higher increases the glide range but to climb to 7,500 feet or 8,500 feet is just not practical for a shorter flight. I know many pilots here in this area that routinely cross the Long Island sound at much lower than that. It may not make it right but it is unheard of to climb that high for a short hop across.

Plus, I flight plan to cross at the shortest distance I can along the route. I never go right across the middle where the distance is ~20 miles. I choose to cross where the distance is shorter ~10 miles.

No more than anyone else is equipped for that. However, I'm not totally sure what the tempature of the water has to do with flying over it? I understand the theory that climbing higher increases the glide range but to climb to 7,500 feet or 8,500 feet is just not practical for a shorter flight. I know many pilots here in this area that routinely cross the Long Island sound at much lower than that. It may not make it right but it is unheard of to climb that high for a short hop across.

Plus, I flight plan to cross at the shortest distance I can along the route. I never go right across the middle where the distance is ~20 miles. I choose to cross where the distance is shorter ~10 miles.

I mean do you have inflatable life vests and a raft? Cold water means someplace you will get hypothermia quickly, like in 45 degree water.

I mean do you have inflatable life vests and a raft? Cold water means someplace you will get hypothermia quickly, like in 45 degree water.

Ohhhh- no raft but I'm thinking of the life vest idea after people suggesting it on here. Honestly, it never occurred to me to bring one but it sounds smart and could help in a life or death situation.

Flat sandy beach maybe first, or possibly in 2' of water.

No freaking way I am landing in water colder than 60 d F. unless it is less than waste deep and I can walk out of it immediately. Survivability in 32 d F is less than 2 hrs.

Look for a park land directly pointing between two trees to take the fuel tanks off the fuselage.
Actually it is a lot worse than that. In 32 degree water(and saltwater can get colder it is 15 minutes or so. Even in 60 degree water it could be about 2 hours. This also assumes you have no injuries which with ditching is probably not likely. See for example http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hypothermia.htm.

Just make sure you choose the best rescue.:yes:

José

Attachments

• Amphibian Rescue.jpg
    Amphibian Rescue.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 14
  • Haitian Rescue.jpg
    Haitian Rescue.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 15
Ohhhh- no raft but I'm thinking of the life vest idea after people suggesting it on here. Honestly, it never occurred to me to bring one but it sounds smart and could help in a life or death situation.

I would consider a cold water ditching equal to death unless you have a raft or rescue is almost immediate. Life vests won't help much. It's an easy topic to read further on if you're interested.

I would consider a cold water ditching equal to death unless you have a raft or rescue is almost immediate. Life vests won't help much. It's an easy topic to read further on if you're interested.

Yeah, I agree. The chances of surviving are almost zero. Much safer to beach it.

Back