Want To Buy Engine dehumidifier

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
If anyone has an engine dehumidifier for sale, please DM me. Could be a branded one (Engine Saver, DryBot, etc.) or a homebuilt one - as long as it is working.

This is the one I use. http://www.rbaviation.com/mojave/ I guess there isnt really a way to know if it is saving my engine but it appears to be keeping the humidity between 10% and 20%. When it gets to 20%, I cook the silica beads to dry them out. The owner, Jon is a nice guy and the unit is reasonably priced. Mojavecomplete.jpg

Build one. So simple. Read through this thread on Supercub.org. I built two using parts from Anazon. Cheap, easy, and VERY effective.

Last edited:
I have an engine saver - bought it last year but never used - still sealed in box. will sell it for $300 if you want. I think they are $394 new at aircraft spruce.

This is the one I use. http://www.rbaviation.com/mojave/ I guess there isnt really a way to know if it is saving my engine but it appears to be keeping the humidity between 10% and 20%. When it gets to 20%, I cook the silica beads to dry them out. The owner, Jon is a nice guy and the unit is reasonably priced. View attachment 124633

Thanks. Didn't know about this one. I just flew over Michigan. Had I known about this product, I would have picked one up on the way back to Canada. Darn it. I'm in touch with Jon now, trying to figure out shipping and customs. PITA to send anything north of the border. What's the deal with free trade between Canada and the U.S. again? LOL.

Build one. So simple. Read through this thread on Supercub.org. I built two using parts from Anazon. Cheap, easy, and VERY effective.

I have two left hands when it comes to building physical products. I can build you anything on the internet, but nothing that you would want to physically touch.

I have an engine saver - bought it last year but never used - still sealed in box. will sell it for $300 if you want. I think they are $394 new at aircraft spruce.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind in case the other product falls through for one reason or another.

Interesting. Another opportunity to spend some money!
What conditions would warrant use of this, and what problems would it prevent?

Interesting. Another opportunity to spend some money!
What conditions would warrant use of this, and what problems would it prevent?

LOL, there are endless opportunities to spend some money - I think these opportunities doubled since I picked up aviation. It's supposed to keep an engine from developing corrosion due to humidity inside the engine while not being flown for a longer period of time. I tend to fly rather often but also know that I will go to Europe this summer, hence the plane will sit for longer than the usual week or two. Hooking up one of those dehumidifiers certainly won't hurt. Not sure if it helps, but definitely won't hurt. That's why I pour Camguard into my oil and Marvel Mystery into my fuel occasionally. I have no idea if it does any good but I also know it doesn't hurt anything so why not.

There is one modification I made on the Mojave unit. I took a rubber chair leg cap, I think t was 5/8" or 7/8" to slip over my breather tube. If you find the stopper that comes with the unit falls out or you break the fitting taking it out let me know and I will send you some pictures. The stopper works fine until you roll the cart with the pump - container on it away from the plane forgetting to unhook the stopper from the tube.

There is one modification I made on the Mojave unit. I took a rubber chair leg cap, I think t was 5/8" or 7/8" to slip over my breather tube. If you find the stopper that comes with the unit falls out or you break the fitting taking it out let me know and I will send you some pictures. The stopper works fine until you roll the cart with the pump - container on it away from the plane forgetting to unhook the stopper from the tube.

Good to know. How about the attachment to the oil filler neck, is it stable? I read somewhere else that one of the dehumidifiers had some wonky attachment, broke loose and almost fell into the engine. I don't think it was this particular unit but just want to make sure it's stable and won't break and fall into my engine.

The stopper works fine until you roll the cart with the pump - container on it away from the plane forgetting to unhook the stopper from the tube.
I gotta ask; Just how exactly do you know that?;)

I gotta ask; Just how exactly do you know that?;)
My system sits on a cart with a heater, charger, and Switcheon unit. The hose I forgot connects under the plane on the breather tube. Since it is under the plane it is easy to forget. The new cap works well so it all worked out. The hose that connects into the oil filler tube can not fall into the engine. Jon sends 2 sizes so you can fit any size filler tube.

Many aluminum breather tubes have what is called a whistle hole in them so that if icing conditions were to freeze over the end of the tube, that the crankcase pressure would still have an outlet.

REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flag?

Many aluminum breather tubes have what is called a whistle hole in them so that if icing conditions were to freeze over the end of the tube, that the crankcase pressure would still have an outlet.

REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flag?
As for the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flag, the 5' long hose connected to the pump on the cart acts as a good reminder! There is no way you can leave it connected since the pump is on the cart in front of the plane.

I did not install a hole up on the breather tube. I cant remember why I didnt and see if you are flying in weather where it could freeze over it could be a good idea. I dont fly in crappy weather so I hope I am covered. I have never heard of one freezing over. Mine is right over my exhaust pipe and I think that will keep it warm enough.

As for the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flag, the 5' long hose connected to the pump on the cart acts as a good reminder! There is no way you can leave it connected since the pump is on the cart in front of the plane.

I did not install a hole up on the breather tube. I cant remember why I didnt and see if you are flying in weather where it could freeze over it could be a good idea. I dont fly in crappy weather so I hope I am covered. I have never heard of one freezing over. Mine is right over my exhaust pipe and I think that will keep it warm enough.
I am also understanding the whistle slot also breaks the possibility of creating suction on the breather tube. Kinds like a broken drinking straw...

Back