Engine bog when power applied.

Ever since I posted this thread a couple weeks ago I've been told everything from its normal and safe to I wouldn't fly it at all. For what it's worth, here are the results of replacing my old 10-3678-32 with a brand new billet machined 10-5217 from AvStarDirect.

I've had the plane back since Sat and have logged 9.3 hours on the new carb. Not only did the problem go away but it's like a completely new engine. The throttle response is way better, the idle is better, pulling the mixture to shutdown is a nice quick spin up and then it powers off, and she seems to burn less fuel. I know it hasn't been the same situation for everybody but my issue is completely solved.

:needpics::needpics::needpics:

They look like this now. Machined on CNC mills from solid aluminum instead of castings.

av10-51936.jpg

They used to look like this:

10-3878_29.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
It means the accelerator pump seal in your carb is starting to get weak most likely, or you have some other induction leak getting you a lean spot in the acceleration.

How do you know it isn't overly rich? that is the transition point from Idle to cruise RPM.

Yeah, that's where I would go. Too bad you can't buy a Jiffy Kit for these carbs.

You can buy any and all the parts for the MA-3SPA.

You simply must be smart enough to know which you need.

It tends to become really noticeable during throttle adjustments in the traffic pattern as well.

Which model carb are we talking about, what is the color of the data tag. has all the ADs been complied with?

does it have a two piece Venturi?

For the rest of you. Do you know the symptoms of a loose two piece Venturi?

They look like this now. Machined on CNC mills from solid aluminum instead of castings.

av10-51936.jpg

They used to look like this:

10-3878_29.jpg

Dan

and prior to that, they had the wide data tag, which may have been blue, red, or ? and enameled black.

I can sense the difference between blubbering = too rich, and stumbling = too lean... There is a noticable different effect...

Your probably the only one. Two different terms that mean the mixture isn't right.

The key is in the exhaust tone...

and one will smoke, the other won't. but who can see their exhaust while in the pattern?

Last edited:
Back