Endorsements

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Hi All.

I have been flying for a long time, 46 years to be precise. I have never had a tail wheel endorsement nor complex or high performance. Got my IR in 1976 and have commercial.

I hate to use the word "grandfather" , but should I get these written into my present logbook at next bi-annual? might have to dig up a tail dragger.

Ken

Hi All.

I have been flying for a long time, 46 years to be precise. I have never had a tail wheel endorsement nor complex or high performance. Got my IR in 1976 and have commercial.

I hate to use the word "grandfather" , but should I get these written into my present logbook at next bi-annual? might have to dig up a tail dragger.

Ken

As I think you know, if you have a log showing PIC time in a tailwheel, complex, or high performance prior to whatever the date is (don't know off hand, but some time in the 90s) that is equivalent to the corresponding endorsement from the FAA's standpoint.

If you've got that, I wouldn't go out of your way to get the endorsements. If you happen to do a bi-annual in a plane that meets one or more of the requirements, it shouldn't be a big deal for the CFI to sign off the appropriate endorsement.

Apart from avoiding using the term "grandfathered" you don't gain anything from having the endorsement - at least from the FAA's perspective. Maybe someone out there makes a distinction. :dunno: I've never heard of that, but it's possible.

Hi All.

Ken

With the logged PIC time before the required dates, the FAA does not care.
The insurance company may not care.

I would not dig up a conventional geared aircraft just to get the endorsement. But if you next FR is in an aircraft that meets the requirements for HP or retract, sure, get the CFI to write out the endorsement just to remove all doubt for the next guy.

I was in the same boat, grandfathered for everything. But when taking different checkouts for rentals, the CFI said, let's just add the endorsement. You don't need it, but it saves digging back into the log book just to prove something.

As others have said, don't go out if your way just to get an endorsement that is not required for you. The reg requiring the endorsements has the grandfather dates. I'm partially grandfathered on my HP endorsement and the few times the issue came up it was pretty simple to show the applicable entries, even when my logbook was only paper.

Yep, I'm grandfathered (for at least the complex/HP stuff). I'm also a grandfather. Playing with the grandson right now.

Back