Endorsement

When I bought my Mooney, the insurance required 5 hours dual and 5 hours solo before I carried passengers.

I don't think it required a checkout exactly. I used a Mooney transition instructor and he logged it as a check out and a FR.

On the aerobatic plane I am buying, one insurer required I provide information on the check out instructor and the quote requires 5 hours with THAT instructor, by name.

Forgetting the legalities, I recall the 152 (and assuming the 150), to be a VERY different airplane than the 172.
Not hard, but different.
The "VERY" depends on whom you ask. It's more lightly loaded and less stable than a 172.

But, aside from that, it also depends on experience. The first transition is generally the most difficult subjectively even with few objective differences. My 152 checkout was about 3 months after my private checkride and took an hour on the Hobbs. No big deal, but it wasn't about great pilot skill (I'm not that good). Even at that newbie point, it was my fourth aircraft type.

For my Hatz (for which I did get hull), they wanted 5 hours dual with a CFI with time in type. I pointed the near impossibility of finding such a CFI,
FWIW department:
When I bought my Merlin GT 1/, I used the instructor that the previous owner had used for flight reviews to get the insurance required hours of instruction. Not because the insurance asked for an instructor with time in the airplane, but because I just asked the seller for a CFI recommendation. (I wanted to get the hours in before I flew it home plus I had not flown a tailwheel aircraft in decades so it made sense to get a local to the seller guy.)

1/ I know, you ain't never heard of a Merlin GT before, but it's a rag and tube homebuilt taildragger LSA.

My RV-4 policy since 2018 has read "...must have satisfactorily completed a checkout from a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) in this make and model aircraft..."

I unfortunately can't find polices any earlier than that but I explicitly recall verifying that I was covered for first flight in 2004 with approximately 0.0 hours in m/m but enough to make a difference in similar types.

Nauga,
covered but not smothered

Unless the insurance policy requires an endorsement, I just record the checkout as instruction given.

Unless the insurance policy requires an endorsement, I just record the checkout as instruction given.
When I'm asked to do something "for insurance," whether required initial transition, flight review, or IPC, I ask to see the policy language and conform the logbook entry to what it contains. Like you, nothing specified, just normal 61.51 entries.

Forgetting the legalities, I recall the 152 (and assuming the 150), to be a VERY different airplane than the 172.
Not hard, but different.
Different as in lighter and simpler? Most that trained in the C-150 move up to the C-172 with just an hour and a few landings.
The C-150 had 40degree flaps, the C-152 has 30degree flaps. The 40degree flaps could be a handful on a full flap go-around.

Different as in lighter and simpler? Most that trained in the C-150 move up to the C-172 with just an hour and a few landings.
The C-150 had 40degree flaps, the C-152 has 30degree flaps. The 40degree flaps could be a handful on a full flap go-around.
Right.. As I said, it’s not hard, just different. I think the biggie is how light it feels. Both airplanes are simple airplanes.

Back