Endorsement for CFI/FOI Written Tests

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
I'm getting ready to take my CFI-A/FOI written tests soon and was wondering if I need an endorsement to take them. I saw in the regs that I need an FOI endorsement when I take the practical test but nothing about a sign off to take the writtens.

There's no requirement for an endorsement for the FOI - walk in to a testing center, pay your $140-150, pass the exam, keep the piece of paper. You'll need it for the BGI, AGI, IGI and/or CFI.

But....if you have a state certificate indicating you are certified to teach K-12 or vocational courses, or if you are currently teaching at a local college/university, you do not need to take the FOI.

This annoys the (*&*^%*&^O out of me. I've been full-time faculty at a local university for 4 years, adjunct for 10 years at another and have suffered thru graduate courses in Education (which is really aggravating for an engineer). But because I'm not currently teaching, I'm required to take the FOI along with the BGI if I intend to teach ground.

There's no requirement for an endorsement for the FOI - walk in to a testing center, pay your $140-150, pass the exam, keep the piece of paper. You'll need it for the BGI, AGI, IGI and/or CFI.

But....if you have a state certificate indicating you are certified to teach K-12 or vocational courses, or if you are currently teaching at a local college/university, you do not need to take the FOI.

This annoys the (*&*^%*&^O out of me. I've been full-time faculty at a local university for 4 years, adjunct for 10 years at another and have suffered thru graduate courses in Education (which is really aggravating for an engineer). But because I'm not currently teaching, I'm required to take the FOI along with the BGI if I intend to teach ground.
Thanks so much. I'm not a teacher so I definitely need to take it. So no endorsement for the FOI but I do need an endorsement to take the CFI written?

No endorsement to take any instructor written. However, as you said, you will need an FOI endorsement to take your initial CFI practical test.

I'm getting ready to take my CFI-A/FOI written tests soon and was wondering if I need an endorsement to take them. I saw in the regs that I need an FOI endorsement when I take the practical test but nothing about a sign off to take the writtens.

As a budding CFI, shouldn't you be able to look this up yourself? ;)

The good news is it will take you all of an hour to get ready for the FOI...but I understand your frustration with the extra hassle nd expense in your case.

Murphey,

If you ever intended to teach private AND commercial ground courses I would suggest the AGI. Plus it is required if you were a CFI in order to obtain a gold seal. Just a bit of friendly advice.

Cheers

I took it today and didn't do so hot. I only got an 80. I'll probably take the CFI sometime next week before school starts again.

I took it today and didn't do so hot. I only got an 80. I'll probably take the CFI sometime next week before school starts again.

As a CFI, nobody cares too much as long as you pass.

Congrats!

As a CFI, nobody cares too much as long as you pass.

Congrats!

As a student, some might care about a grasp of the FOI.
(Whether that's adequately demonstrated through the FAA's written test is another story... ;) )

As a student, some might care about a grasp of the FOI.
(Whether that's adequately demonstrated through the FAA's written test is another story... ;) )

Not one and the same

I'm talking about written tests

You're knowledge will be determined at your check ride

Does it matter what you teach for a college? Can it be a community college?
What do you have to provide, I am adjunct and teach oil painting.

Does it matter what you teach for a college? Can it be a community college?
What do you have to provide, I am adjunct and teach oil painting.
Here's what the reg says:
(e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(1) of this part, unless the applicant:
(1) Holds a flight instructor certificate or ground instructor certificate issued under this part;
[(2) Holds a teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or]
(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.
Nothing about what you teach, only that you be "employed" and that the school be accredited. Now, is an adjunct faculty member "employed"? :dunno: To my knowledge, that question has never arisen. You'd have to ask the FSDO, and I'll bet they end up asking AFS-810, but I suspect the answer is it's OK as long as you're currently under contract when you take the practical test.

"...Holds a teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher..."

Incidentally, I suggested to my FSDO that a substitute teaching certificate from my state would technically qualify. No go since you need only a bachelors degree and a background check to qualify. Pity since it would've been cheaper than taking the FOI exam.

In what Reg can I find the waiver eligibility requirements for the FOI exam?

Anyone?

Thank you.

In above it was stated that an endorsement is not required.
The above reg seems to disagree with that at (d).

My guess is that they exempt teachers from taking the FOI because it is so full of educational bull-poop that they want to avoid those with real educational training from wretching during the exam.

Back