End of July ConUS Challenge Update (BEST MONTH EVER!)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I've got exciting news:

July, 2007 is now officially the clamingest* month since we started the ConUS challenge.

* - Yes, I made that word up, and I'm claiming ownership. I think it may beat truthiness in the scheme of best new words of the decade.

Anyways, back to the topic. We had some amazing efforts this month. Karl Kisser claimed an AMAZING 80 airports, beating the previous record of 50 in a month set by Barb Miller back in September.

We also topped the 30% claimed mark recently, and we are nearing 35% (34.9% to be exact). We have claimed a total of 1616 airports out of a possible 4631 total.

The top five of July:
1) Karl Kisser - 80 Claims
2) Peter Yee - 32 Claims
3) Barb Miller - 18 Claims
4) Scott Migaldi - 11 Claims
5) Gil Teendoc - 9 Claims

The top five total:
1) Barb Miller - 276 Claims
2) Peter Yee - 123 Claims
3) Karl Kisser - 80 Claims
4) Mike Schneider - 74 Claims
5) C. Edward Irvin - 70 Claims

Amazing, guys. Truly amazing.

Top 5 States by Percentage:
1) Delaware - 100%
2) Michigan - 98.7%
3) California - 88.4%
4) Maryland - 65.7%
5) Indiana - 65%

Top 5 States by number:
1) California - 222 Claimed
1) Michigan - 222 Claimed
3) Texas - 71 Claimed
4) Ohio - 68 Claimed
5) Indiana - 67 Claimed

Class B Airports Claimed: 23/34
Class B Airports Left: (BOS, BWI, CVG, EWR, IAH, JFK, MCO, ORD, PIT, SEA, TPA).

Some goals for next month. Lets finish up some more states!! Only 3 more airports need to be claimed in Rhode Island for a 100% (KOQU, KSFZ, 08R). Also, Connecticut could be real close as well, lets get some of those airports claimed!

I'd like to see some more claims out of the midwest as well. Nebraska, Kansas, etc. I'd like to get some more of New Mexico and Arizona done also (Eek, that's my bad, falling down on the job).

Map coming soon.

Okay, potentially stupid question... how do I get in on this ConUS Challenge? I should be getting my ticket in the next couple of weeks, and I'd like to start getting it "wet". This sounds like a good way to do it.

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I just registered, and it appears that I'll be keeping myself rather busy with all of the available airports in my area!

i might be getting BOS in the next week or two. I will definitely flying there....I'm not sure if we're stopping or doing a t/g or low pass or what. I'm helping out someone with something to do with noise abatement. Will it count if I take a pic on the T/G?

Will it count if I take a pic on the T/G?
I'd think so as long as it shows the sign with an identifiable background? Can you do that at 40 knots or so and maintain control of the aircraft? :)

I think if one manages to get JFK or MCO with an aircraft under 100HP, they should get extra credit for one more airport of their choosing. Of course, their gonna get nailed on landing and ramp fees. :eek:

I contributed my first ever claim the other day and it's in the midwest. It's a start!!

In June I flew from Phoenix to Kansas City and back with another pilot. I have several photos in his camera that he can't figure out how to get to me :(

In June I flew from Phoenix to Kansas City and back with another pilot. I have several photos in his camera that he can't figure out how to get to me :(
Sorry, but that's funny. Why do people procede to use a camera for its actual purpose before they know how it works? I've seen people with cell phone cameras who want to use it for a picture but have not the slightest clue how it works. The same ones usually don't even have a directory programmed. They dial every single number manually. :rolleyes:

i might be getting BOS in the next week or two. I will definitely flying there....I'm not sure if we're stopping or doing a t/g or low pass or what. I'm helping out someone with something to do with noise abatement. Will it count if I take a pic on the T/G?

Unfortunately, no it doesn't count unless it is a full stop landing. It makes it a bit tougher, I know, but its mostly for safety reasons, as well as to promote business at the airport (I know, BOS probably doesn't need the GA business, but still...).

Hopefully it'll be full stop!!

Unfortunately, no it doesn't count unless it is a full stop landing. It makes it a bit tougher, I know, but its mostly for safety reasons, as well as to promote business at the airport (I know, BOS probably doesn't need the GA business, but still...).

Hopefully it'll be full stop!!

Oh well. I really doubt it's going to be a full stop. Someone here will claim it on an Angel Flight or something. Or perhaps Mari will fly into there one of these days.

Or perhaps Mari will fly into there one of these days.
Mmmmm, hopefully not. KBOS is not high on my list of favorite airports... :vomit:

I've managed to avoid it for at least a couple years now. :)

Well now that I'm all current and legal again, I'm signing up.

I might just knock out BWI on Friday. I'm planning on some pattern work but its only a 5 minute hop...

Are you not allowed to claim your home base?

Cause the guy who tagged KMTN is from W48, which isn't claimed.

Mmmmm, hopefully not. KBOS is not high on my list of favorite airports... :vomit:

I've managed to avoid it for at least a couple years now. :)

I know, the place is stupid. Try clearing customs there as an airline passenger sometime.

But Mari, if you wind up at BOS sometime, let me know. I'll buy you some clam chowdah.

chuck - claiming home base is not allowed, the idea is to get you out away from home.

Well then maybe tomorrow I'll hit W48 too...

I'm mainly going up for landing practice, but a little jaunt over to some near strips would be fun.

Tho I wonder what BWI charges for a landing fee...

Ok, forget BWI.

$25.00 landing fee
$27.00 handling fee
$6.77/gal for 100LL

I'll let someone richer than me pay for one of us to get this one done...

W48, otoh, is right next door...

Ok, forget BWI.

$25.00 landing fee
$27.00 handling fee
$6.77/gal for 100LL

I'll let someone richer than me pay for one of us to get this one done...

W48, otoh, is right next door...

I'm the guy that is based at W48 and claimed Martin State. We just had our runway paved at W48 a year ago. It's nice, you'll like it. Yeah, those high prices at BWI are the reason I havn't claimed it. Never landed there actually, although I work less than a mile away from it. Greebo, glad to see you're flying again. You might recall me from that next-gen telecom equip company in Linthicum. ... Bill

Hey, Bill! How the hell are ya!! Yeah I remember ya! Are you still there? I've heard things have gotten really interesting lately and I apparently got rid of my shares too soon...

I see you've been busy. Haven't left much for me to do that isn't in the deep ADIZ. :D

I guess I'll have to head up PA way and look around York and such, after I hit W48.

Probably what I will do on Friday is burn off some fuel at KMTN in the pattern first, then hop down and do a few at W48, get fuel there, and hop back up to KMTN. The flying club guys are gonna wonder wtf I'm doing submitting a fuel receipt from 3 miles away. :D

Maybe instead I'll just burn time in the pattern on friday, then do a quick stop there on Sunday on the way back to OXB. It won't be worth buying fuel, but at least it will get'er done.

Hey, Bill! How the hell are ya!! Yeah I remember ya! Are you still there? I've heard things have gotten really interesting lately and I apparently got rid of my shares too soon...

I see you've been busy. Haven't left much for me to do that isn't in the deep ADIZ. :D

I guess I'll have to head up PA way and look around York and such, after I hit W48.

Probably what I will do on Friday is burn off some fuel at KMTN in the pattern first, then hop down and do a few at W48, get fuel there, and hop back up to KMTN. The flying club guys are gonna wonder wtf I'm doing submitting a fuel receipt from 3 miles away. :D

Maybe instead I'll just burn time in the pattern on friday, then do a quick stop there on Sunday on the way back to OXB. It won't be worth buying fuel, but at least it will get'er done.

Chuck, still plenty of unclaimed airports to the west and south of BWI. Virginia is wide open. Sorry, but no fuel at W48. Ridgely or Clearview are the cheapest, maybe Carroll County.

Yeah, amazingly I'm still here. Always a lot of change and it's always interesting.

Looking forward to August 30th when W48 and MTN become ADIZ free!

Well then I won't feel guilty about not buying gas while I'm there. :D

Some of the best flying in the country is in Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah...? What's up?!?

I agree. If Nick lets us keep this going through next year, how about you take the left side, I'll take the right and we'll meet in the middle. :dunno: :D

I'm going out there in June (Idaho is on the way to Wisconsin from here, isn't it?)

Barb

I know, the place is stupid. Try clearing customs there as an airline passenger sometime.
I think I still have bad memories of 5-6 years ago when the FBO was located across the airport from the ramp where you parked and you had to take a 15 minute van ride to get there. Then there was the $1500 deicing bill...

But Mari, if you wind up at BOS sometime, let me know. I'll buy you some clam chowdah.
Yum! I love clam chowdah. There are also a lot of things about Boston and the area in general which I like even though I haven't spent much time there.

Are you not allowed to claim your home base?

Cause the guy who tagged KMTN is from W48, which isn't claimed.

Whoops, I missed this post. As you've probably guessed, yeah, there's a rule that prohibits claiming your own home airport. That's how Chip got Double Eagle (my home) and Kent got Bentonville (Chip's home).

Interestingly enough, I claimed Lake Havasu a few weeks before I moved there, and then claimed KABQ when I came back here to visit. At both times, I was not thinking I would soon be living in either location.

Well, did not get there this weekend, because we bagged the O.C. trip...the afternoon weather looked like it could go south so we played it safe and stayed home.

Next week, I've got an O.C. trip planned, so hopefully then.

I hear Williamsport is nice this time of year... and if you play your cards right you can get lunch too! ;)

Nick,

Proof the challenge is doing pretty well: I was up in northern Wisconsin a couple weekends ago and I figured I'd fly around and do some claims... And the field I flew into, plus almost all the ones anywhere around it, were all claimed already! :eek: :D :yes:

Out of the 126 airports you have listed for Wisconsin, it looks like exactly half have been claimed so far. I'm going to figure out what's left that's grass-only and try to get those claimed soon, and my personal goal is to be sure that Wisconsin is at 100% by the end of the year. :yes:

Given my normal nature, that probably means that Dec. 31st is going to be a very busy flying day for me. :rofl:

hey kent maybe you can talk the club leadership into half price flying for new years weekend to promote members to get out and fly more! :)

Nick,

Proof the challenge is doing pretty well: I was up in northern Wisconsin a couple weekends ago and I figured I'd fly around and do some claims... And the field I flew into, plus almost all the ones anywhere around it, were all claimed already! :eek: :D :yes:

Out of the 126 airports you have listed for Wisconsin, it looks like exactly half have been claimed so far. I'm going to figure out what's left that's grass-only and try to get those claimed soon, and my personal goal is to be sure that Wisconsin is at 100% by the end of the year. :yes:

Given my normal nature, that probably means that Dec. 31st is going to be a very busy flying day for me. :rofl:

That makes Nick a happy Panda. Good luck, dude. I can't wait to see the claims!

Made the O.C. trip, but did not stop, because my wife gets motion sick, and it was very hot, and I didn't want to subject her to the twists and turns getting in just after takeoff.

I'm going to suspend my targeting of this airport until after the ADIZ shrinks - then I can hop over w/o the hassle of flight plans.

Quick update - now that the forecast has improved, planning a quick stop at W48 for the challenge before we head off to AGC.

Thinking about Potomac Airport on the way back too...

When I was up in the tower at KDPA last night I asked about the possibility of a late night flight into ORD for GFA. They said that they don't think you can get in there "unofficially' late at night anymore. Leslie's pondering actually flying in there officially some night. $$$ OUCH!

Quick update - now that the forecast has improved, planning a quick stop at W48 for the challenge before we head off to AGC.

Thinking about Potomac Airport on the way back too...

Woohoo! Can't wait to have a Chuck H. Claim!

Back