End of August ConUS Challenge Update

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok folks, here's the deal - after August (a partial month, only 2 and a half weeks included), I have some stats for ya:

Total Airports Claimed: 103 out of 4721 listed
In first place so far is Barb Miller, who has claimed 49 of the 103 airports
In second place is Joseph Rittenberry, who has claimed 12 of the 103 airports.

Remember, this is not a contest, so the placing is just for fun. Lets get out there and claim some more airports in September!

SkyHog said:
In second place is Joseph Rittenberry, who has claimed 12 of the 103 airports.

Not any more! :D

I went to 6Y9 this weekend to hang out with Ed (and family) and Jesse. Had to leave early due to potential work issues, but I got a call when I landed at Eagle River that they had things handled, so I continued to land at a zillion fields. Well, OK, not quite, but my weekend involved 15 claimed fields plus my home field. The trip up was MSN->79C->3D2->2P2->6Y9, and the return was 6Y9->LNL->EGV->40D->RHI->TKV->RRL->AUW->CWA->ISW->DAF->63C->MSN.

After doing so, I've gotta say: Nick, this was a GREAT idea. Thanks a ton to you for starting this and to Chip for his work on the web site. I found some really neat places this weekend. I bet I can even convince my mother to go biking up in Door County at 3D2 or 2P2, she enjoyed her first flight the other day but still doesn't seem to "get it" and I think that sort of thing would make it click.

Three Lakes (40D) was really the surprise find of the day, see why here. My "fall colors flight" will be toward Wisconsin Rapids (ISW) this year, so I can see not only the yellows and oranges of the leaves but the red of the cranberry harvest.

Folks, there are some really cool little fields out there. Go explore, and share your discoveries with the rest of the community! http://www.goflyamerica.org/

Last edited:
I'd like to see 5 or 6 people pass me so we can really get this challenge rolling. Kent, You and Barb are really hiting everything in that area fast

Last edited:
Way to go, Kent! Maybe we ought to get some side challenges going: which state gets completed first(Rhode Island has to join with another state--only 7 airports :redface: ), the great lakes states vs the gulf states vs the pacific coast states vs any other group of states. This is lots of fun and I'm meeting alot of interesting people where you least expect them.

Barb

JRitt said:
I'd like to see 5 or 6 people pass me so we can really get this challenge rolling. Kent, You and Barb are really hiting everything in that area fast

Yeah, I just wish it would have started about a week and a half earlier so I could claim all 10 airports I hit on the way home from 6Y9 last time! :yes: For now, I'll leave those for someone else. I'm gonna get as many to count for both the WI challenge and the CONUS challenge as I can. :D

WI challenge ends 10-31-06... I figure another three or four days worth of flying and I can be the winner for sure! :goofy:

Wow, Barb is making the rest of us look bad! Now if I could just shake this head cold I could go out on Saturday and claim some airports around here!

Barb do you regularly hit this many airports or are you just using this as an excuse to go fly? (BTW, leave 7D2 alone, I've got a trip planed to there for T-day and I'd like to get in one airport in MI)

Missa

When the challenge ends, I hope you're going to leave the site up and active? I'm just now getting back in the saddle after a few months of downtime...

All of my trips have been to 6Y9 and back. I haven't flown anywhere else. Since I can't claim my home airport, and probably shouldn't really claim the one I'm manager of, it's a bit difficult to log anything.

N2212R said:
All of my trips have been to 6Y9 and back. I haven't flown anywhere else. Since I can't claim my home airport, and probably shouldn't really claim the one I'm manager of, it's a bit difficult to log anything.

Nah! unless someone else can claim it, you should! (Scratch that Kent already claimed it) Specially since you're the reason we have that airport! And next trip just stop somewhere else for no apparent reason!

Missa

Last edited:
N2212R said:

I wouldn't claim it Ed. Why not inspire someone else to fly up there who is semi local to claim it. Heck I'm surpirsed Jesse or Kent or Greg hasn't claimed it.

N2212R said:

Ed,

I beat ya to it for 6Y9. :D

But, I also hit 14 other airports on the way up and back this weekend. That's all you've gotta do. You'll still get there way ahead of your ground-pounding parents. :yes: That's a heckuva drive.

Missa said:
Barb do you regularly hit this many airports or are you just using this as an excuse to go fly? (BTW, leave 7D2 alone,)

Missa

Any excuse to fly is a good excuse. Before the challenge I was just going up and checking the fences around the horses. And inspecting my friends roofs for hail damage.:rolleyes:

7D2 is all yours, I want all the help I can get finishing up the state. Then I'll move on to Indiana, Ohio, the South, the West, the East and North, THE WORLD!!!!:hairraise:

Barb (I'm shooting for claiming 200 airports--Come on guys, beat me to them)

One Short said:
Way to go, Kent! Maybe we ought to get some side challenges going: which state gets completed first(Rhode Island has to join with another state--only 7 airports :redface: ), the great lakes states vs the gulf states vs the pacific coast states vs any other group of states. This is lots of fun and I'm meeting alot of interesting people where you least expect them.

Barb

How about the gulf heliports? :)

Ok, ok, I know, heliports don't count. Can't blame a girl for tryin'.

Laurie said:
How about the gulf heliports? :)

What Mike said. And maybe you can claim a couple of Drilling platforms. Have you ever landed on Mars? (I think it is in the Gulf)

Barb

One Short said:
What Mike said. And maybe you can claim a couple of Drilling platforms. Have you ever landed on Mars? (I think it is in the Gulf)

Barb

Hey, Thanks Mike and Barb! I guess I'll be doing that this week when I head back out yonder.

I have landed on the Mars, several times actually. It's a Shell platform in the Misssissippi Canyon lease block 807. It's sister platform the Ursa is in 809 about 10 miles away. When Katrina tore through the Mars suffered serious damage and is just now getting back up to production - the Ursa on the other hand sustained very mild damage. Strange - I didn't know Hurricanes were selective like tornadoes!

Barb really has been an inspiration! I really have to get off my but and start claiming!

But I second what everyone else has said --- BIG THANKS to Nick and Chip for their great work.

Laurie said:
Hey, Thanks Mike and Barb! I guess I'll be doing that this week when I head back out yonder.

I have landed on the Mars, several times actually. It's a Shell platform in the Misssissippi Canyon lease block 807. It's sister platform the Ursa is in 809 about 10 miles away. When Katrina tore through the Mars suffered serious damage and is just now getting back up to production - the Ursa on the other hand sustained very mild damage. Strange - I didn't know Hurricanes were selective like tornadoes!
Sounds like a structural weakness in Mars. Maybe too many hard landings?:p

Richard said:

Brave soul, you are!

Not that I know of, Mike, but he just completed his long XC. Does William post here?

Re: Student Pilot

Mike Schneider said:
I just noticed that William English of Norwood, MA is a student pilot and claiming sites! Way to go, William! That's pretty impressive. Has any other student pilot made a claim? -- Mike

I am working on it Mike. Everytime I try to go somewhere the wx doesn't want to cooperate. Maybe later this week.

Some quick statistics:

According to my calculations in order to reach the goal we must complete 287 airports (or just over 6% of the total) per month from the start last month to December 31 next year. In the first month 183 have been claimed or around 3.8% of the total (not bad!) However, we have only reached 64% of our monthly quota :eek:

I don't really know what any of that means, and I am likely never going to get that time back ;)

My tentative plan is to bag between 8 and 15 airports on my trip coming up in a couple weeks down there - too bad some of my stops aren't registered airports.

Are your numbers based on 1 year, or the slightly more than a year that we actually have? I haven't run them myself, but I see it this way:

Some months will have heavy activity. Some months will have almost no activity. We need to stick with it, and we CAN succeed!!!

Based it on 16.5 months.

I'm busily "targeting". LOL, it looks like I won't have much competition in the Montana/Idaho/Western Colorado/Utah corridor that I will be flying. Maybe we can recruit some piots in those states...

alaskaflyer said:
My tentative plan is to bag between 8 and 15 airports on my trip coming up in a couple weeks down there - too bad some of my stops aren't registered airports.

Hey, every 8-15 airports helps. If there are any others near your line of flight stop in for a quick picture. All for the cause, you know :yes:

Put the unregistered ones in as custom claims. I like reading everyones claims, gives me ideas for future trips.

Barb

Re: Student Pilot

HPNFlyGirl said:
I am working on it Mike. Everytime I try to go somewhere the wx doesn't want to cooperate. Maybe later this week.

It will all come together for you. Keep at it and you'll be covering everything out your way in no time.

Barb

alaskaflyer said:
Hey Chip, I can't get the Google map to come up with targeted airports...
Hmmmm. I just tried it and it worked OK for me. Shoot me an email or a PM with specifics and I'll look into it. Thanks.
Chip

alaskaflyer said:
Some quick statistics:

According to my calculations in order to reach the goal we must complete 287 airports (or just over 6% of the total) per month from the start last month to December 31 next year. In the first month 183 have been claimed or around 3.8% of the total (not bad!) However, we have only reached 64% of our monthly quota :eek:

I don't really know what any of that means, and I am likely never going to get that time back ;)

I like this stat (well, not the 64% but the stat itself). I've added it to the home page on the web site - based on days rather than months. Thanks Richard.

Chip

HPNFlyGirl said:
Why did you guys decide to do this at the end of the year instead of January 1? Just curious.
Ultimately it was Nick's decision, but I suggested it because the site was ready (more or less) and there seemed to be a fair amount of interest in the challenge. Waiting until 1/1 didn't really seem to accomplish anything. I think we were both anxious to get it going.

Chip

Richard said:

Well, certainly not by moi...... at least not on that platform, now the Celtic Sea drilling rig.......'nother story. :goofy:

gibbons said:
I like this stat (well, not the 64% but the stat itself). I've added it to the home page on the web site - based on days rather than months.

Cool.

Now, of course, since there are 106 pilots registered, that means that even if no more register, each pilot only needs to get about 1%, or 47, airports in the next year. That should certainly be do-able - After all, I did a third of my quota in only one weekend! :yes:

I'll try to make up for some of you slackers. ;) :rofl:

Ha! But when you count how many days per year for which I and my plane are in the CONUS, and then divide that by the number of airports I will bag...well, let's see who is the king then :princess:

So, just a thought. I've been going through and reading claims. In general it's great to read about new airports. Could you do a Recient Claims search?

Missa

Missa said:
So, just a thought. I've been going through and reading claims. In general it's great to read about new airports. Could you do a Recient Claims search?

Missa

I was thinking the same thing. As more claims are added it will get more difficult to sort through to see which ones are new. Another option would be to add the ability to sort by date posted.

Well, that's fairly well hidden. OK, now I know how to do it. Wow, I like the calims maps. The LP of MI is a big mass of Blue!

Also how hard would it be when you hit the search by pilot tab to just list all pilots then let you filter as desired? I ususally just search for all.

Melissa

Last edited:
gibbons said:
Hmmmm. I just tried it and it worked OK for me. Shoot me an email or a PM with specifics and I'll look into it. Thanks.
Chip

Just tried it again on Firefox and IE no joy. I'll PM.

Back