EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) Blocking Action Camera Communication

David Loftus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dmloftus
Here's a question for the engineers out there. I have tried many action cameras from GoPro, Sony, and Garmin mounted in different spots on my Diamond DA40. I've had mixed success with controlling them remotely from the cockpit. My latest acquisition is an Insta360 X3. Got a good deal on a kit from Costco and I was convinced that this was going to be a great addition to my camera collection. At home, I tested my iPhone Insta360 app extensively, controlling the camera from up to 60 feet away. Seemed bulletproof. Took it to the hangar and mounted it to the tiedown under the wingtip. I could control it from beyond the opposite wingtip, over 40 feet away. I taxied toward the runway and had no problem starting the recording from the cockpit just before pulling out of the runup area. But 5 minutes into the flight I tried to put the Insta360 into sleep mode to save battery life. App says Unable to achieve connection. Tried probably a dozen times during the flight with no success reconnecting. Once I landed and shut off the engine, I had no problem controlling the camera again.
So I thought I would ground test to see whether EMI from the avionics was causing my communication breakdown. Connected up my ground power unit, switched on the avionics bus, and everything works perfectly beyond 40 feet. That's with the G1000, GTX345, all the radios, etc running and no problem controlling the camera from a much greater distance.
So the only remaining causes of interference I can think of are the alternator, ignition system, and static buildup on the composite airframe. But could they be emitting noise way up at 2.4GHz to knock out remote control communications?? That's 6 orders of magnitude above the 2400 RPM's the engine is turning. Has anyone had a similar challenge?
My next step is to fly it again with the camera mounted to the tail. And maybe having someone in the backseat try to hold the iPhone closer to the tail (and away from the engine compartment).
More than 30 years ago I used to design and test military aircraft radars, RWR's, and other avionics and warfare systems. We could mount them in an A10 or F16 in an RF anechoic chamber at Eglin AFB and measure the spectrum precisely in all directions. Too bad I don't have access to those toys today. But they weren't trying to control cheap consumer items via flimsy protocols like WiFi and BLE. Thoughts?

Action cam wifi connections are all flaky, at least in my experience.

Here's a question for the engineers out there. I have tried many action cameras from GoPro, Sony, and Garmin mounted in different spots on my Diamond DA40. I've had mixed success with controlling them remotely from the cockpit. My latest acquisition is an Insta360 X3. Got a good deal on a kit from Costco and I was convinced that this was going to be a great addition to my camera collection. At home, I tested my iPhone Insta360 app extensively, controlling the camera from up to 60 feet away. Seemed bulletproof. Took it to the hangar and mounted it to the tiedown under the wingtip. I could control it from beyond the opposite wingtip, over 40 feet away. I taxied toward the runway and had no problem starting the recording from the cockpit just before pulling out of the runup area. But 5 minutes into the flight I tried to put the Insta360 into sleep mode to save battery life. App says Unable to achieve connection. Tried probably a dozen times during the flight with no success reconnecting. Once I landed and shut off the engine, I had no problem controlling the camera again.
So I thought I would ground test to see whether EMI from the avionics was causing my communication breakdown. Connected up my ground power unit, switched on the avionics bus, and everything works perfectly beyond 40 feet. That's with the G1000, GTX345, all the radios, etc running and no problem controlling the camera from a much greater distance.
So the only remaining causes of interference I can think of are the alternator, ignition system, and static buildup on the composite airframe. But could they be emitting noise way up at 2.4GHz to knock out remote control communications?? That's 6 orders of magnitude above the 2400 RPM's the engine is turning. Has anyone had a similar challenge?
My next step is to fly it again with the camera mounted to the tail. And maybe having someone in the backseat try to hold the iPhone closer to the tail (and away from the engine compartment).
More than 30 years ago I used to design and test military aircraft radars, RWR's, and other avionics and warfare systems. We could mount them in an A10 or F16 in an RF anechoic chamber at Eglin AFB and measure the spectrum precisely in all directions. Too bad I don't have access to those toys today. But they weren't trying to control cheap consumer items via flimsy protocols like WiFi and BLE. Thoughts?
I've seen some similar stuff. My theory is currently that it's actually the iPhone that's the problem.

If you have any USB power banks inside the aircraft, they could also be the cause. They are notorious EMI emitters.

Is it possible that in flight the phone switches connection to the stratus Wi-Fi for weather and traffic?

Also the plane’s fuselage creates interference not accounted for during your outside distance tests.

Is it possible that in flight the phone switches connection to the stratus Wi-Fi for weather and traffic?

Also the plane’s fuselage creates interference not accounted for during your outside distance tests.
No, I rarely use my WiFi in flight as my Phone and iPad connect to my G1000/GTX345 via Bluetooth. And when you tell the app to connect to the camera, it specifically asks to connect to the Insta360 WiFi. But it hangs at that step. And my distance tests included signal path at 20' (pilot's seat to camera) through the canopy/wing and over 40' wingtip to wingtip, through the wing and fuselage (iPhone above the right wingtip, camera under the left wing tip). BTW, there is a BLE remote control app on my Apple Watch, but it has poor Tx range, dropping out on the ground at about 20'. Thanks

Last edited:
Anything that creates a spark will make broadband noise. Can you see the effects of noise on ground? If so, maybe open breakers to see if any particular device quiets things down. Also, try removing the equipment closest to the device with the problem.

Maybe borrow a spectrum analyzer and connect it to a broadband antenna and see which frequencies have a lot of power when things are running.

You are basically in a faraday cage with a lot of equipment generating signals trying to get weak rf signals to escape it. That said, a friend put his go pro on the tail tiedown of a Cirrus we were in and he was able to turn the camera on and off. Try the tail.

You are basically in a faraday cage with a lot of equipment generating signals trying to get weak rf signals to escape it. That said, a friend put his go pro on the tail tiedown of a Cirrus we were in and he was able to turn the camera on and off. Try the tail.
Yeah, that's the next flight plan. My GoPro 10's work reasonably well on the tail. I have NFlightCam Exterior Ball-Head Mounts on both ends of the horizontal stabilizer.

Back