Emergency Landing--Sometimes engines just stop...

There was a similar engine failure in Australia with a Rotax 912S that ended much differently with 2 fatalities. There was no obstruction in the field where they TL Sting 2000 tried to land, but the pilot stalled it and crashed.

The Australia Transport Saftey (their FAA) has a written report with pictures. I have the report on a PDF format, but I can't figure out how to post it here.

Well Done, and nice landing BTW.

The full report is here: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2007/AAIR/pdf/aair200700054_001.pdf

<snip>
One of the things that had me the most scared at first when the engine quit and wouldn't restart was the thought that I had only one chance to make a safe landing and I had better not screw it up. After a couple of seconds, it occurred to me that I had done more than forty such landings already without problems. That realization was a HUGE instant confidence boost for me.

I was initially surprised at the slightly different handling of the aircraft with the propeller completely stopped. Aircraft handle differently with the engine dead than they do with the engine at idle. They handle a lot like gliders-imagine that!!.

<snip>
I love the story a good friend tells once in a while. He had I think over 800 hrs of glider time when he decided to get his power rating. During the check ride the examiner pulled the throttle to simulate a power failure. He of course easily set up for an emergency landing in a field. The examiner commented on how he noticed that my friend relaxed when the power was pulled. He also commented on how well he set up and was really prepared to land in the field. It was at this point my friend pointed out the examiner. "See that line down the middle of the field we are lined up on, That is the wheel track from where I landed my glider last week"

With 800 hours of glider time and less than 15 hours of power time (a long time ago) the spinning propeller just made him nervous.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Axe,

Enough cannot be said about just how well you handled this. You lived my nightmare and walked away. Thank you very much for the writeup. I, for one, have taken away alot from this and will change a few things about how I fly.

On a side note, I will start another thread about ideas on surviving after the crash.

Again, great job my friend.
Allen

I have been told that the wrong viscosity oil was used in the engine, causing oil starvation.

It sounds like the plane might not be placed back into service, but sold without engine instead.

FWIW, I am now well prepared in the survival equipment area.

I have been told that the wrong viscosity oil was used in the engine, causing oil starvation.
:yikes: Drastic consequences for such a simple mistake. I presume that it was at an oil change and that just adding a quart of the wrong viscosity wouldn't cause this.

You are correct!! The plane had just come out of annual.

I had flown it two or three hours in the previous two weeks in much the same weather, in 2000 foot ceilings, over desolate, heavily forested areas. There would have been little in the way of spots suitable for emergency landings. If the engine had quit during those flights, I think you would have been reading my fatal NTSB accident report instead of hearing my account firsthand.

I have no doubt that the man upstairs was looking out for me, since when the engine did fail, it was at the absolutely best location it could have in terms of farm fields to land in. Had I flown another few minutes, it could have gotten ugly.

I never thought I should have to sample and check the viscosity of the oil as part of my preflight inspection.

Since my emergency landing, the A/P's have all left the FBO.

I still don't know why the electrical system failed. I doubt I ever will. That is going to drive me nuts!

We rescued a pilot off a dry lake bed last weekend. We received a call at the glider club from El Paso TX. As it turned out, it was the owner of the airplane. His pilot ferrying his new to him SkyBolt and was on the lake bed south of us and needing fuel. His pilot had called him, he googled the area and found us and our phone number.

We saddle up, and take him 4 gallons and ask if he is comfortable following us back to the airport. There is one long lake bed for 2/3 the distance but it ends 5 miles short of the runway. If he is not comfortable, land there and we'll bring you another can.

Based on his fuel flow, he elected to follow us all the way. At the gas pump he could only put 16 gallons into a 37 gallon system. We had already given him 4 and he would have burned 1/2 of that. So.. he had fuel in the tanks, but he had fuel starvation.

Checked all the lines, gascolator etc, no issues. Called the mechanic. Suspect was the tanks were not venting, so after an hour of flying there was enough vacume on the tank that no more fuel would freely flow.

He was about 3000ft AGL in a SkyBolt, not known for great glide performance.. and over a very large dry lake. A very lucky pilot, he had just crossed Death Valley and some 10K MSL mountains. Another 10 miles would have put him over higher terrain and no place to land except a couple of non descript runways.

The previous weekend, the lake was not dry and was not usable.

Last edited:
By Mjollnir, what a tale! I can only hope to do so well when my time comes! Many congrats to the OP!

From the original post. "I continued to climb until I reached 5,500 feet MSL. I then leveled off at 5,500 feet MSL. Within a minute or so of leveling off, approximately 5 minutes into the flight, the engine abruptly stopped. The propeller stopped and did not windmill. I also noticed that the radio was dark, indicating to me an electrical failure as well."

Oil viscosity????????????? Is anyone else skeptical of this?

I never thought I should have to sample and check the viscosity of the oil as part of my preflight inspection.

I would be surprised if you could tell the difference in viscosity between the commonly found aircraft oils just by inspection.

I would be surprised if the difference in viscosity between commonly found aircraft oils would take out a rod bearing.

I still don't know why the electrical system failed. I doubt I ever will. That is going to drive me nuts!

Well, you said:

The piston rod separated and broke through the crankcase. There was a fifty-cent piece sized hole with the rod poking through. The engine is going to be removed from the plane and sent back to Rotax.

If the end of the rod punctured the wire to the alternator it would have created a massive short that could have taken out quite a bit of your electrical system.

A Rotax doesn't use aircraft oil. Maybe the problem was aircraft oil was used instead of the specified oil? I'm thinking that too high a viscosity oil is a bad thing, a really bad thing since clearances are designed for a specific oil. Basically the bearings would not be receiving the design oil flow and the oil pressure gauge would be reading top of the green (basically at the pressure limit valve opening pressure) even after warm up.

It's a bad sign if oil temperature is high and oil pressure is max...

A Rotax doesn't use aircraft oil. Maybe the problem was aircraft oil was used instead of the specified oil? I'm thinking that too high a viscosity oil is a bad thing, a really bad thing since clearances are designed for a specific oil. Basically the bearings would not be receiving the design oil flow and the oil pressure gauge would be reading top of the green (basically at the pressure limit valve opening pressure) even after warm up.

It's a bad sign if oil temperature is high and oil pressure is max...

If the engine needs a low-viscosity oil but gets a high-vis, oil pressure can fall because the oil pump can't suck it up fast enough. It cavitates instead.

And so a thick oil in a cold engine will be really late getting to the bearings, and they will suffer damage during the start and warmup that only shows up later in flight, maybe several hours later. The wrong oil in an engine could easily wreck it.

Dan

I would be surprised if you could tell the difference in viscosity between the commonly found aircraft oils just by inspection.

I was speaking tongue-in-cheek here. I meant that bringing one of the viscometers from work each time I flew to test the oil would be impractical.:smile:

I would be surprised if the difference in viscosity between commonly found aircraft oils would take out a rod bearing.

I don't know enough about the engine and the effect of various oil viscosities at different temperatures to be able to make any intelligent comment. You may well be right. I am just passing along what I have been told.

The information I have gotten thus far has been from third parties who knew someone who worked at the FBO. When I have called the FBO to verify the info, I have been told the information I have heard is not correct. Then a week or two later I learn the information I had heard is correct.

Thus far the information I have gotten from the third parties has turned out to be accurate. That is why I passed along this new info for those who are interested in the cause of the failure

If the end of the rod punctured the wire to the alternator it would have created a massive short that could have taken out quite a bit of your electrical system.

I can see that being the case. I don't think I will be made privy to the final results of whatever investigation is being done by Rotax, however. Thus far the FBO has not been eager to share any information with me. I would prefer to know exactly what happened as opposed to knowing what probably happened. The idea of not knowing for sure just bugs me a little. I am curious by nature.

I am of course interested to learn exactly what happened because I had the excitement of dealing with the emergency. The FBO does not seem interested in any detailed analysis of what happened. The airplane has been offered for sale and has a buyer. I suspect the FBO just wants a new engine so they can finish the sale of the plane.

The plane was an orphan that was left over when their dealer status with Tecnam ended. They are moving on and waiting for delivery of a Skycatcher now.

If the engine needs a low-viscosity oil but gets a high-vis, oil pressure can fall because the oil pump can't suck it up fast enough. It cavitates instead.

Dan

The aircraft showed oil pressure and oil temperature on the low side of normal on my preflight checks that day.

What about cooling? The Rotax has water cooled heads and air
cooled cylinders. Was the water flowing? Could it have stuck a
piston?

Sounds like Rotax doesn't want any info out about a failure
in one of their engines.

Myself .. I would have gotten one of the maintenance guys at
the FSDO involved. That would insure that answers were forthcoming.

RT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back