Emergency Landing--Sometimes engines just stop...

U

Unregistered

This is the ASRS I filed today. I never thought I would have to file one... I am redacting this and submitting it Unregistered out of an abundance of caution until I know I am clear on this.

I performed a complete preflight of the aircraft using the checklist, including visual and tactile inspection of fuel tanks and visual inspection of fuel from the gascolator. I detected no abnormalities. The aircraft does not have carburator heat.

I started the aircraft following the checklist steps. I taxied to runway XX at KXXX. I performed a pre-takeoff test of each ignition system following the checklist. I checked all gauges, following the checklist steps. The ignition system performed properly on each individual magneto. The gauges were all in the normal range. All gauges were working properly. I then departed from runway XX at KXXX. After reaching 800 feet, I retracted takeoff flaps and turned towards the Southeast towards my destination, (KXXX).

I continued to climb until I reached 5,500 feet MSL. I then leveled off at 5,500 feet MSL. Within a minute or so of leveling off, approximately 5 minutes into the flight, the engine abruptly stopped. The propeller stopped and did not windmill. I also noticed that the radio was dark, indicating to me an electrical failure as well.

I immediately obtained best glide speed and checked both fuel switches, which were both still in the on position. I was too far from KXXX to return to the field. I chose a suitable field to land in if necessary and began maneuvering to set up for an upwind landing on that field.

I verified that both Ignition switches were on. I attempted to activate the Emergency Fuel Pump, but the characteristic noise was not present when the switch was turned to the on position. I turned the Master Switch to Start, but the starter did not engage. I turned the key to the off position, and then again turned the Master Switch to Start. Again there was no engagement of the starter. Subsequent multiple attempts to restart also failed. I attempted to deploy flaps a minimal amount to check for any electrical function. The flaps did not work either.

I was without engine or electrical power. I had no radio, so I was not able to announce an emergency. I maintained best glide speed while descending to make the field I had chosen. I turned the Master Switch to the Off position, I turned off the Ignition switches. I turned off all other electrical component switches. I turned off the fuel valves. I unlocked and opened both doors. I removed all loose items in the front area of the cockpit and placed them behind the seat to minimize their danger as projectiles. I retrieved my SARSAT PLB and attempted to activate it. My heavy gloves apparently prevented me from successfully activating the PLB. I believed I had activated the PLB.

As I was descending towards the field, I was a little high, so I slipped to lose altitude.

I made a successful upwind landing in the field. The aircraft came to a complete stop remaining on the landing gear. The landing was much like any landing on a rough grass field, but with a lot more adrenaline flowing in the pilot. The plane appeared to have no damage from the landing whatsoever. Later, the FBO representatives stated that the wheelpants weren't even scuffed on the aircraft, and complemented me on my piloting.

----END OF REPORT----

The farmer took me to his house and told me to make myself at home. I called the FBO, the AFRCC about the PLB, my wife, and AOPA Legal Services in that order.

The plane sits in the field until next week, when it will be trailered out to be worked on.

The biggest lesson I learned (but really kind of knew already) is that when something like this happens, you have very little time to try to look at checklists. You really need to know the action flow by memory. I did not miss a step, because I have drilled on emergency procedures a lot. I am glad I had 3400 feet AGL to work with.

I was lucky to have open farm fields around me. This can be hard to come by in my area. I picked one of the largest, flattest ones I could find that was closest to a house, figuring that if I couldn't walk away, I was going to have the best chance of someone seeing/hearing me the soonest.

I am used to reacting in high-stress situations. I still had a moment of disbelief when it happened. All the Emergency Procedures training I have had and made myself do really pays off.

Keep current on your Emergency Procedures!

Wow!

What kind of plane is this? A Diamond with FADEC? A plane with a Rotax with FADEC? The engines on most planes don't need electric.

If it was a standard Lycoming of Continental and the prop stopped abruptly you certainly didn't have carb ice.

Last edited:
I continued to climb until I reached 5,500 feet MSL. I then leveled off at 5,500 feet MSL. Within a minute or so of leveling off, approximately 5 minutes into the flight, the engine abruptly stopped. The propeller stopped and did not windmill. I also noticed that the radio was dark, indicating to me an electrical failure as well.

I verified that both Ignition switches were on. I attempted to activate the Emergency Fuel Pump, but the characteristic noise was not present when the switch was turned to the on position. I turned the Master Switch to Start, but the starter did not engage.

Couple of questions. What sort of aircraft was this, that had the starter switch as part of the master switch? And is there any explanation yet as to why both the engine and electrical systems failed at exactly the same time?

Dan

It was a Tecnam Super Echo with a Rotax. Dual Magneto system. I don't know why I lost both engine and electrical. I remember thinking to myself, "Hmm. It isn't supposed to happen like this..." when it happened.

I have always prepared for losing electrical or the engine-not both.

I had no roughness at all-I was humming along one minute and listening to the breeze the next. I am glad I had time in gliders back when I was 14-15 years old. I think that old glider time helped me out for the disconcerting lack of noise when the engine conked out.

I will never forget today for as long as I live.

Couple of questions. What sort of aircraft was this, that had the starter switch as part of the master switch? And is there any explanation yet as to why both the engine and electrical systems failed at exactly the same time?

Dan

The ignition switches are separate from the key. The key has off, on, and start.

I won't get any answers until next week at the soonest. It is the FBO's airplane, and they are planning on removing the wings and trailering it out Monday or Tuesday next week. They were going to look at getting permits to tow it, but decided that might not be the best advertising :)

Well (putting on speculating hat) - the two problems could be unrelated. It sounds like you had a charging system problem that caused your electrical failure when your battery died (assuming you didn't find any circuit breakers out). Or you had a central electrical problem that killed both sources of supply (alternator/battery).

The engine failure seems unlikely to be related to an ignition problem if the engine has magnetos. Induction icing (don't know what the alternate air system is) interfering with air intake or a fuel system problems are the only ways I know to make an engine go silent without it being rough first.

You may have had two separate failures of the engine-driven fuel pump and the electrical system, I suppose. But if that's the case I'd wonder if someone doesn't like you... are you going through a divorce, custody battle, or any other life events that might make killing you seem attractive to someone else. No joke, I know of one GA accident that was spousal sabotage.

Looking forward to what is learned.

And of course the most important part of the message, whoever you are.

Good freaking job! You didn't hurt anyone on the ground, you walked away, and didn't add additional damage to the airplane. That is as good as it gets!

Dan

The ignition switches are separate from the key. The key has off, on, and start.

I won't get any answers until next week at the soonest. It is the FBO's airplane, and they are planning on removing the wings and trailering it out Monday or Tuesday next week. They were going to look at getting permits to tow it, but decided that might not be the best advertising :)

Kudos on a successful emergency procedure especially with no damage to the aircraft during your landing. I'll be printing that post for my students to read. Today, I couldn't drill in enough of how important it is to react but do so calmly and with a multi-tasking effort between best glide, determine the best landing location, restart attempt, forced landing procedure and all during this... still flying the airplane.

Ya did good!

Like others, I'll be very interested in the cause since I'm teaching procedures of lost electrical OR lost engine; not both as you encountered. I may have to rethink how I throw emergency procedures to advanced students.

Pilot...Whoever and wherever you are...Good Job...

I wouldn't worry so much about the report but more about the outcome of the investigation of the cause...

Well (putting on speculating hat) - the two problems could be unrelated. It sounds like you had a charging system problem that caused your electrical failure when your battery died (assuming you didn't find any circuit breakers out). Or you had a central electrical problem that killed both sources of supply (alternator/battery).

The engine failure seems unlikely to be related to an ignition problem if the engine has magnetos. Induction icing (don't know what the alternate air system is) interfering with air intake or a fuel system problems are the only ways I know to make an engine go silent without it being rough first.

You may have had two separate failures of the engine-driven fuel pump and the electrical system, I suppose. But if that's the case I'd wonder if someone doesn't like you... are you going through a divorce, custody battle, or any other life events that might make killing you seem attractive to someone else. No joke, I know of one GA accident that was spousal sabotage.

Looking forward to what is learned.

And of course the most important part of the message, whoever you are.

Good freaking job! You didn't hurt anyone on the ground, you walked away, and didn't add additional damage to the airplane. That is as good as it gets!

Thanks for the kind words, Tim.

I have a job that doesn't make me a lot of friends, but I don't think anyone is out to really kill me. This is a rental airplane. I am one of only a few flying it, but I am not the only one, so there were no guarantees that I would be the next guy to fly it. Nobody knew I was going flying today. I only decided to go fly about an hour before I left. Maybe someone is out to get one of the other renters and I got in the way! LOL

The plane just got out of annual about a month ago. I had to make a diversionary landing three weeks ago because the oil pressure gauge pegged out in flight. The FBO's A/P drove over and found a shorted wire and repaired it.

I couldn't get the plane to start when I tried to bring it back home a week later. The A/P had to drive to the airport I left it at yet again and work on it. Darn motorcycle batteries don't work well in the cold...

The plane has been rather difficult to start since the annual. The starter would crank and crank, and eventually catch, towards the bottom of the battery's power. Today the airplane started up just fine-it just didn't want to keep running! I had been commenting to a few pilot friends that it made me a little uncomfortable flying a plane that didn't like to start in case of an in-flight engine failure.

I suspect there are maintenance issues at the FBO. They don't do much work on LSA's and Rotaxes. At this time, this plane is the only LSA available in the area. The FBO was a Tecnam dealer, but no longer are. The main guy for the LSA's, a good IA, left the employment of the FBO about six months ago and the Tecnam dealership left with him. The Tecnam that is left is essentially an orphan.

As a side note, I understand why people would want a Continental or Lycoming after having to make my diversionary landing at an airport where the FBO's A/P didn't know about Rotaxes. If it had been my plane, it would have become a very time-consuming and expensive endeavor to get it taken care of.

I keep reminding myself that SP and LSA is better than not being able to fly at all... /wistful sigh/

Pilot...Whoever and wherever you are...Good Job...

I wouldn't worry so much about the report but more about the outcome of the investigation of the cause...

Ken and KTD, thank you for the kind words.

I realized late last night how lucky I was, both for the location I was in when the engine failed, and that I knew the emergency procedures so well. Most of the area I fly over is heavily forested with nice open fields hard to come by. If I had been flying to the North, due East, or especially West flying using the Direct button on the GPS, I probably would have ended up in trees.

I don't like low ceilings a whole lot, but have gone up in a 2500-3000 AGL ceiling and flown over some heavy forest. I am now realizing how disastrous this incident could have been on one of those days. I have used the GPS Direct button a lot in the past, but right now think flying from one possible landing area to the next along my route might be a good idea, even if it adds a few minutes to the trip.

I have never overflown large bodies of water outside of glide range to shore, but might have done so before given enough temptation. That is now permanently out for me.

I have what-if'ed a lot of things as a matter of course, but I never thought something like this would actually happen to me. Engines don't just quit, right? LOL

In retrospect, I did well to what-if possible problems, but I didn't take it as seriously as I will in the future. I now know firsthand how bad things can just happen in this hobby/addiction, and you can be left with 2-3 minutes AT BEST to make the right decisions, with the result of bad decisions being injury or worse.

I generally wear Nomex undergarments and wool in the winter, avoiding fleece and other nylon garments. On occasion, however, I have worn fleece, for the warmth, thinking, "Nothing is going to happen, it is a beautiful day today". Never again will I do so. You never know which day is the day you are going to go down involuntarily. Yesterday was a beautiful day too, clear with >20 miles visibility. The engine didn't care.

On the bright side, there hasn't been any media attention to this. The downside is that I am pretty stiff and sore this morning.

A reminder that we should all be ready for an emergency at any point in flight, and be familiar with all our emergency procedures.

Great job on a safe landing! What's most important is that you managed to walk away unharmed. The fact that the plane is unharmed as well is just an added bonus.

Now that I have had some time to reflect, I have thought of some things that I think helped me prepare for a good outcome and some things I did wrong that I think are worth sharing :

Things that Helped:

1. Practice Landing without flaps.

I had never been trained in landing without flaps leading up to my checkride. I had never considered it as an option. About six months ago, I flew with a very wise friend with over 25,000 hours of USAF fighter, Airline, and Corporate Aviation experience, who suggested that I try taking off and landing without them. He told me that knowing how the plane would act without flaps might come in handy someday. I had no idea how handy that experience would become. No functional electrical system meant no flaps for me on this landing.

After having tried it, I incorporated no flap landings into my rotated practices. I am glad the forced landing wasn't my first time experiencing the different approach and angle of descent the airplane has with no flaps.

If you haven't landed without flaps or other electrically operated equipment lately, I would do so. In a real in-flight emergency, your level of fear, which is probably going to be high, will be diminished by each variable you encounter in your emergency that you have experienced before. It helps remove the fear of the unknown and allows you to say to yourself, "I've been through this before and survived just fine. I know I can handle this."

2. Previous glider experience is helpful and calming.

25 years ago, when I was a 14 year old Civil Air Patrol cadet, the U.S. Air Force paid for me to go to Missouri and solo in gliders. I never did much with gliders after that, as I was interested in powered flight, and powered flight only at that time. I found that glider experience helpful last Friday.

One of the things that had me the most scared at first when the engine quit and wouldn't restart was the thought that I had only one chance to make a safe landing and I had better not screw it up. After a couple of seconds, it occurred to me that I had done more than forty such landings already without problems. That realization was a HUGE instant confidence boost for me.

I was initially surprised at the slightly different handling of the aircraft with the propeller completely stopped. Aircraft handle differently with the engine dead than they do with the engine at idle. They handle a lot like gliders-imagine that!!.

The strange control sensations added to my fear at first. I then adjusted physically and mentally to the difference within a second or two, and I credit a lot of that to having glider experience. After a half-step, it was like I was transported back to when I was 14 and it all just clicked in for me. If I hadn't had the previous experience with non-powered flight, I would have had one more unfamiliar circumstance to increase my discomfiture in an already uncomfortable situation.

I used my previous glider experience in setting up my landing. I had a fairly large field with trees on both ends. When I was assessing my landing field, I decided to aim for the middle of the field, rather than trying to set it down close to the approach end.

I figured that if I had to worry about hitting trees, it was much better to hit them on the ground after I had slowed down than it would be to hit the trees at a higher speed while still flying because of a potential miscalculated approach that might leave me lower than I needed to be.

As it was, I came in towards the field at an angle to approach the field from the area where the trees were the lowest, then turned to follow the rows in the field. I ended up about 75 yards from the trees on the opposite side of the field.

I would strongly recommend even a couple of glider rides to make sure that your first true, no-kidding, the engine-is-off-and-isn't-coming-back-on approaches and landings aren't during your emergency. It sure was a big comfort to me.

The things I did wrong:

1. Dressing and packing for the ride instead of the crash.

Although I avoided wearing anything that would melt in a fire, otherwise I was woefully unprepared for an off-field landing. It was 3 degrees Fahrenheit that day, and was not supposed to get much warmer.

I had a base layer of nomex long underwear, jeans, a cotton t-shirt, a wool sweater, a heavy leather jacket, medium weight leather gloves, wool socks, a baseball cap and tennis shoes on. I did not have a warm hat or anything to cover my face aboard, I had inadequate footwear for anything other than walking on concrete from the airplane to an FBO and back, and no survival equipment other than a lighter and a pocketknife.

I had no food aboard. I had no water aboard. I had no first aid equipment aboard. I have an incredible trauma bag in my car, but that bag would have been of no value for me.

The funny thing is that I am extremely diligent about being prepared for emergencies in other areas of my life, but this mindset did not carry over to my flying activities as it should have. I had spent lots of time preparing for making a forced landing, but never focused on what I would do after a forced landing. It was a classic case of an, "It Won't Happen to Me" attitude at work, and that is so unlike me. I know better!!

Fortunately there was barely an inch of snow on the ground and I got picked up in minutes and brought to a house, but that wait for warmth or help could have been hours or days with a different landing result just five miles away, and the terrain and amount of snow to try to maneuver in through could have been much worse. I would never have gone for an outdoor excursion of any duration attired and equipped as I was. This oversight was stupid and could have been fatal in a different landing outcome.

From now on during winter, I will now always be carrying cold weather clothing to allow me to survive on the ground. I will definitely be wearing warmer boots suitable for rough terrain and different pants better suited to warmth and water-resistance.

I have a brand new Nomex IIIA heavyweight tan flightsuit with lots of pockets for all that survival gear that I have never worn while flying. I haven't worn the flightsuit because I haven't seen anyone else wear them and I didn't want anyone to think I looked silly. After this experience, I now realize that fashion concerns are a very bad reason to not use a valuable piece of survival equipment.

I am working on filling all of those handy pockets with items that could prove valuable to me if I should ever find myself on the ground at a place other than where I wanted to be again. I am setting my equipment up on the assumption that if it isn't on my person, it won't be available to me in a crash.

One of the disadvantages of the LSA's is the limited useful load available. This is a particular issue in extreme cold weather areas, where you would tend to need more weight and space for survival equipment than you would in warmer areas.

I have a vacuum-packed Wiggy's -60 degrees F rated sleeping bag I keep in my car, just in case it is ever needed. It weighs appproximately 13 pounds and takes up very little space since it is so tightly packed.

Ingrained concern about useful load, weight and balance and the "It Won't Happen to Me" attitude had me with a mental block against considering carrying even an ounce of extra weight in the aircraft. The thought of bringing along this bag, which could have been the most valuable lifesaving survival item I would need, never even crossed my mind. That was unwise-I was flying by myself that day and had the weight to spare and then some.

2. Poor placement of the PLB and inadequate practice of activation and donning.

I performed initial familiarization with my ACR PLB with bare hands at room temperature sitting at my desk. I never practiced with gloves on. I never practiced retrieving the PLB as quickly as possible in flight and trying to activate it. That is a lesson learned for me. Anyone carrying a PLB should practice retrieving it quickly and also practice activating the test button in the worst possible conditions-- with gloves on, in the dark, and so on.

Bear in mind that to activate an ACR PLB, you need to press two buttons. This is likely going to mean you will need two hands. Since most of us only come with two hands, that means it is necessary to let go of the yoke or stick while you are activating it. I did so while stable and in level flight with no control issues, but I did not get an activation either. Just something to bear in mind.

When I wasn't seeing an activation light on the PLB, I briefly considered taking my gloves off to get better access to the buttons. I dismissed that thought quickly however, deciding that flying the airplane for the remaining two minutes of flight and getting a good landing was going to be a better choice than trying to taking my hands off of the controls further to remove gloves so I could try to get help that wouldn't show up for some time after I was down. I decided I could always activate The PLB on the ground if I needed it.

The PLB, has been kept in a zippered end compartment of my flight bag. I am doing my flying from the right seat in preparation for my CFI-SP checkride in the near future, and I usually place the bag behind the passenger seat to make it easier to access in flight. For no good reason, I got sloppy and just stuck the flight bag behind my seat on this flight. If the bag had been on the passenger side, I would have saved time and effort accessing the PLB.

Come summertime when the PLB will probably end up back in the bag, I will make sure the pocket is unzipped before flight to speed access to the PLB. I am also going to add pull strings to the zipper tabs to make them easier to grab. I learned that it is really hard to get hold of a small metal zipper pull in a full-tilt-boogie adrenaline rush.

I had noticed when I first got my PLB that the lanyard was just big enough to go around my head. I could get it around my neck sitting at my desk, stress-free, without problem, but it was a deliberate process. I never tried putting it on over my head in the aircraft, with a headset on, while in flight, as quickly as possible.

I can almost guarantee you that if you need to don the PLB for an emergency, the situation most certainly will not lend itself to putting the lanyard over your head in a slow, deliberate manner!!

When I tried to put the PLB around my head during my emergency, I found that the loop on the lanyard is too small to easily don when under the effects of adrenaline with the resultant loss of fine motor control in the fingers. Also, the lanyard opening was not large enough to go over my head with my headset on.

I wasn't going to spend any more time off of the control stick taking my headset off and trying to get the PLB donned, as I was starting to get close to the ground. The PLB ended up getting placed on the seat next to me. If my landing had turned out badly and I wasn't mobile afterwards, I could have lost my only method of contact with the outside world. Who knows where the PLB could have ended up?

Yesterday, I took Paracord and replaced the lanyard with one 2.5 times the size of the factory lanyard. I should have no problems getting it around my neck now.

One other little thing about the PLB is that the AFRCC Phone number is not on it. If you need to cancel a distress call due to accidental activation or no further assistance necessary, it is a good idea to have the appropriate phone number on the PLB. When I got to the farmer's house, I had to have the FBO look the number up on the internet for me. I now have the AFRCC 800 number on a label on the PLB to make a cancellation easier the next time.

This is the sum total of what I have digested from my experience thus far. I welcome any input anyone has. Again, thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

Glad you're ok. Well done. Is there a mechanical fuel pump? Did the prop move freely once you were on the ground? I would think the plane has a mechanical fuel pump, but I don't know anything about them.

They should spend a lot of time finding why you had absolutely NO electrical power. A batt shouldn't drain that fast no matter what. It should give plenty of warning of drain. The exception is where there is an open in one of the posts of the battery, which happens if the posts have been abused(after annual). They can be fine one second, then open the next. Rare, but it does happen on occasion.

This is the sum total of what I have digested from my experience thus far.

Wow, that's one of the best self-post-critiques I've ever read. Well done on the execution of the emergency, and thank you for sharing your thoughts about what you could have done differently. I've learned a lot from your post.

First Unreg, GREAT WRITEUP, and Thanks!

Anyone carrying a PLB should practice retrieving it quickly and also practice activating the test button in the worst possible conditions-- with gloves on, in the dark, and so on.
I'll just note that on my MicroFix PLB, they caution not to do the test function more than once in the PLB's lifetime lest the battery run down so much that the signal life is degraded. And of course the signal life would have been minimized by the cold in your case, too. So, while you can practice what would be required, don't go actually pressing the buttons!

I'll just note that on my MicroFix PLB, they caution not to do the test function more than once in the PLB's lifetime lest the battery run down so much that the signal life is degraded.
Ditto on my ACR PLB. The package insert said the unit was tested as it left the factory, and not to test it again more than once per battery lifetime. I have notes in my tickler to test it at 50% of the battery's lifetime.

-Skip

Glad you're ok. Well done. Is there a mechanical fuel pump? Did the prop move freely once you were on the ground? I would think the plane has a mechanical fuel pump, but I don't know anything about them.

They should spend a lot of time finding why you had absolutely NO electrical power. A batt shouldn't drain that fast no matter what. It should give plenty of warning of drain. The exception is where there is an open in one of the posts of the battery, which happens if the posts have been abused(after annual). They can be fine one second, then open the next. Rare, but it does happen on occasion.

I think I would have heard from someone by now If I were going to be grilled about this adventure. I am the unregistered poster.

The plane does have a mechanical fuel pump. I did not check the prop once I got on the ground-I got picked up so quickly I didn't really mess with the plane other than to lock it up, and I was too shaken to really do too much.

So far, no cause has been determined. The plane is probably still in the field. I have been stiff and sore all weekend, and am at home today resting.

My landing wasn't hard enough to cause injury, so I think my discomfort is a result of the muscle tension from the adrenaline rush in a post-fusion neck that still gives me periodic problems.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. I also very much appreciate the fact that I am still here, apparently not seriously injured, to relay my experience.

At this point, I have been informed that the apparent cause of the engine failure appears to have been that a piston connecting rod separated from the crankshaft and went though the side of the piston block.

That doesn't explain the electrical failure on its face. Maybe a wire got clipped?

At this point, I have been informed that the apparent cause of the engine failure appears to have been that a piston connecting rod separated from the crankshaft and went though the side of the piston block.

That doesn't explain the electrical failure on its face. Maybe a wire got clipped?
Where is the alternator and battery in relation to where the rod went through? I'd imagine that's a pretty cramped cowling.

I guess we now know why the prop didn't windmill! And it's good you didn't end up with oil on the windscreen...

Trapper John

thats the only explanation that makes any sense to me. score one for batteries that are stored outside the engine compartment.

thats the only explanation that makes any sense to me. score one for batteries that are stored outside the engine compartment.

If the battery had failed sometime after engine start, then he'd have no electrical power--the alternator isn't turning any more either. Axe, did you happen to notice alternator output prior to the incident? Was it higher than normal?

I did not notice an alternator abnormality, but my eyes were focused more out the windshield than on engine gauges before the prop stopped.

My report might be premature. I received the update about the rod from a CFI friend, who heard it from a friend at the FBO, who supposedly heard it from the FBO A/P. We all know how that can go, and I am embarrassed that I reported it as fact now.

I called the FBO A/P to check a little bit ago without going into details as to why I had called, and was told that the plane is still in the field. My original info could just be scuttlebutt at work, or not. We'll see.

The A/P did tell me that the electrical system was indeed completely dead when he checked it later that day when he went out to tie the plane down.

Lots of planes, even with the battery mounted outside the engine compartment, have electrical distribution gear mounted on the firewall, and a problem in the compartment could kill the electrical system that way.

Can't wait to hear the official word on the cause of the engine failure.

I guess we now know why the prop didn't windmill! And it's good you didn't end up with oil on the windscreen...

Trapper John

A Rotax 912/914 won't usually windmill if it's shutdown and you are near best glide speed. The 2.43 to 1 gearbox and high compression inhibit turning the engine over. The good thing is the drag is greatly reduced with a stopped prop.

Excellent job on handling the EP Axe!! Nice write up also.

Ouch, I hate it when that happens! I think they may find that some bits of the engine case, or rod, or other metal components will have lodged in an exposed area where there is +12V. Or, a piece may have pinched or cut a large diameter wire, and shorted the power supply to ground.

BTW, there is no such thing as a 'piston block' it's simply the crankcase, but we understood. :drink:

BTW, there is no such thing as a 'piston block' it's simply the crankcase, but we understood. :drink:

LOL, I just fly 'em! I am always trying to learn more about the airplane and it's systems, but the amount I know about engines could be written on a matchbook with a grease pencil.

Tim, I look forward to the FBO's report on this. It is funny how things on airplanes seem to go wrong right after the annuals that are supposed to ensure safety and reliability... :)

Unfortunately, the first thing I did when I got the unit was to test it. THEN I read the notice!:mad2:

You guys should have the old one (which is bigger so it prolly has a bigger battery. No such notice.

Why, in my day, we played with them all day long and killed the battery AND WE LIKED IT!

Last edited:
I just got back from the FBO and saw the plane. The story I heard before was indeed accurate. The piston rod separated and broke through the crankcase. There was a fifty-cent piece sized hole with the rod poking through. The engine is going to be removed from the plane and sent back to Rotax.

The electrical problem has not been determined. The A/P is guessing that the engine failure "blew a fuse". His words, not mine.

I am not going to be flying for a while now until the airplane is back in service, but I am glad to be around to be disappointed about that!

Axe,

Welcome to the club that none of us want to join but all who have are damned glad we survived!

Nice job.

Axe,

Welcome to the club that none of us want to join but all who have are damned glad we survived!

Nice job.

Thank you, Tim.

It is funny- as more time passes and the opportunities to what-if the event increase, it seems scarier on an intellectual, not visceral, level.

I am seriously thinking about going somewhere that I can rent an LSA, getting checked out in it, and going for a solo flight, to get back on the horse that threw me.

I don't want this event to end up dominating my thought process, and with a wait of weeks to months before I can fly an LSA locally again, I could see that happening. I could go fly with a friend in a 152 here, but it wouldn't be the same as being a solo PIC.

Thank you, Tim.

I am seriously thinking about going somewhere that I can rent an LSA, getting checked out in it, and going for a solo flight, to get back on the horse that threw me.

Axe, If you can get to Atlanta, Give me a call. We'll get you checked out in the Sky Arrow. I'll give you a break on the instruction also.

Maddog

Thank you, Maddog. That is a very kind offer.

For whomever is interested, in regards to PLB's, I just looked at the online TerraFix manual. Apparently, there are two different tests one can perform on the ACR PLB's:

1. A self test where you hold the self test button for at least 1/2 second but less than five seconds. The manual says, "...ACR strongly recommends performing the self test on the TerraFix™ 406 GPS on a monthly basis..."

2. A GPS-O test, where you hold the self test button for more than five seconds. This is the one that should only be performed once.

http://www.acrterrafix.com/ , click on Product Support Manual on the left side of the screen, refer to page 7 and 8 to see the info on tests.

Axe, I'm just reading this for the first time today. Great work on your handling of the emergency. I've had an engine stop enroute too (although fortuanately I still had electrical power) and my glider experience helped me as well. Your recommendation to others to get some glider time is a good one. And flying gliders is fun too!

I admit to having been "uncomfortable" flying for awhile after my engine failure, but now I think it just makes me a more alert pilot. So do get back in the saddle again.

I fly a Tecnam Bravo from time to time which probably has a similar Rotex engine, so please keep us posted on the anaylses of what went wrong.

Even with my event I did not really change my approach to survival gear, which is kind of minimum. Your list points out some good ideas, and I will rethink what I carry in my plane and how I access it. I'm pretty sure others reading this thread will as well. Thank you.

Since there was no damage and no FAR's were violated, the FAA could care less about your problem. I hope though that the engine failure cause is determined, and Rotex does whatever is necessary to prevent its happening to someone else.

Thanks again for posting. Get to east Atlanta area for some Mooney time with me if you want...1

There was a similar engine failure in Australia with a Rotax 912S that ended much differently with 2 fatalities. There was no obstruction in the field where they TL Sting 2000 tried to land, but the pilot stalled it and crashed.

The Australia Transport Saftey (their FAA) has a written report with pictures. I have the report on a PDF format, but I can't figure out how to post it here.

Well Done, and nice landing BTW.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back