Emergency Landing - Nike Jet 11/21

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
A Nike jet is going to make an emergency landing at Portland OR. Live on ABC News Now.

Looks like HIO, not PDX. Especially when the one little bit of audio I got refered to rwy 30.

Yeah, they're saying Hillborough though they mentioned the possibility of some nearby airport with a 14,000 foot runway.

MSmith said:
Yeah, they're saying Hillborough though they mentioned the possibility of some nearby airport with a 14,000 foot runway.

Don't know where that might be. PDX has 11,000 feet on their longest runway. 6600 feet at HIO for 12/30.

Getting some nice video from a news helicopter. Been in and out of the field any number of times over the past 10 years on Intel shuttles, and have shot a few touch and goes there flying out of OLM.

Greg Bockelman said:
Moses Lake has been mentioned as an option.

Now there's some significant runway length. Shuttle alternate at Grant County.

Live video showing all the normal operations. How would you like to have your landings graded on live TV nationwide? :D

He's on the ground, all OK (so far). The gear is down and he is taxiing back to their hangar. Interesting watching him use the thrust reverser on the right engine for braking.

Last edited:
Down and safe on all 3 gear. I guess they found something that worked.

Did anyone catch the male anchor's comment on Fox about billing someone for 7 commericial breaks an hour for three or four hours? What was he talking about? He made it sound like Gulfstream, or Nike or someone wasted all that air time by landing safely. MORON.

Greg Bockelman said:
Did anyone catch the male anchor's comment on Fox about billing someone for 7 commericial breaks an hour for three or four hours? What was he talking about? He made it sound like Gulfstream, or Nike or someone wasted all that air time by landing safely. MORON.

I didn't hear it but it wouldn't bother me to see those kind of presumptive sensationalists pay for their lack of true vision !

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
I didn't hear it but it wouldn't bother me to see those kind of presumptive sensationalists pay for their lack of true vision !
I think the anchor was probably referring to the pilot or the aircraft owner. I can't imagine that a talking head that suggested that his news director be charged for wasting air time would have a job for long.

I think all of us that fly retractable aircraft should work out a schedule of "gear malfunctions" every day along with an anonymous tip to one or more TV news crews about the "imminent crash". No need to actually perform a belly landing or do anything riskier than flying around in circles for a while. Heck if you timed it right you could be on live TV! Hopefully after a few weeks of this the news folks would get bored.

I heard about this on the forums at work but was unable to watch it there. I was sure the result was going to be pretty minor.

One thing that really $#@#ed my off driving home is the guy on http://www.kroc.com 106.9 said he hasn't been doing much today and spent most of the time watching TV because a plane was going to crash. That it landed safely and was a waste of time or something like that.

Unfortunately I was in front of a TV with the news on when this presumed firballing disastrous crash was going to happen. Please I beg of all pilots to check your ego at the door. Of course they had the self professed aviation experts giving their expert analysis on what might be happening and what possibly could happen. One guy was a 5,000 hour pilot with time in several WWII warbirds and a few odd ball imported jets from the ex cold war countries. I'm thinking to myself wow this guy sure knows alot about a G 5 for not having a Type rating or any formal training in the thing. ....cheezz....I wish these self professed gurus would not cater to their egos and the media....This should reinforce the fact that you can only count on about 5% of what the media reports is accurate irregardless of what sources they use.

Let'sgoflying! said:
did they not stop and have mx pin the gear?

If they had a green light on that gear, I probably would have taxied to the hangar too. However I would not have faulted them for pinning it.

Let'sgoflying! said:
did they not stop and have mx pin the gear?
Yes, they did not. I have no doubt that a military aircraft would have stopped and pinned the gear and then towed the plane in (that's just the way the military is). And I probably would have been spring-loaded to the pin-the-gear position if I had been in N225GV, but they elected not to, and they were in direct communication with Gulfstream's flight test and engineering personnel when they worked out their game plan.

Back