Emergency Landing - Final Chapter

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
This is the final chapter...I hope. In retrospect going at my in-flight shutdown problem in a piecemeal way cost time and money. (as an aside this makes Henning right)
Sequence followed was this:
1. On the ground in Virginia replaced the contacts with new. Checked out ok on ground but I had to land after only 50 miles because one plug (on #4) wasn't firing. Mechanic took off mag cap, didn't find anything, replaced cap, and I flew the final 2 1/2 hours home without further incident. :confused:
2. Based on comment from guy working TCM booth at AOPA Expo (TCM is now producing the Bendix mags) my mechanic replaced the 2 capacitors (over 200 bucks!) which reside inside the mag cap. On a capacitance tester the old capacitors checked out just fine. Hmm. Did runups without cowl and everything was Ok. Put cowls on, mechanic and I jump in plane, taxi out to hold short line, do run up and the top plug on #4 isn't firing. Taxi back to hanger. Ack. :confused:
3. All mechanics working on this issue had commented (negatively) about the ignition harness. So I order a new one. Put it on Thursday. Did some runups and noticed something very strange to me. While doing a lean runup when I was on the left mag only, the EGTs on 2 of the cylinders did not rise. That meant (I think) that with the right mag grounded out two of the plugs which it fires (#2 and #4) were still firing. Very, very strange. :confused: (This is something that absolutely would not be caught with a normal runup (and without an engine analyzer), which I also did and got a very normal 40 to 50 dF drop on both sides.) So I bit the bullet and called Aircraft Spruce who did have a rebuilt mag in stock.
4. A friend flew me down to KFFC this morning; Aircraft Spruce van picked us up; I bought the new mag and flew back to 9A1. Put new mag in (btw new mag comes with new capacitors...sigh), triple checked point gaps and timing. Did runups and all indications were as they should be. Put cowls back on, taxied to hold short line, did runup, and everything's still OK. Took off, climbed to 4500' (1000 fpm at 90 kts IAS. Hmm, this is good.) Leaned back to about 50 dF LOP and did mag check. Perfect. Flew around a little at 4500', 2500rpm, 40 dF LOP, 148 kts TAS, 9.5 gph (hmm, this is good too.) Landed. Put plane away. :)
5. Wrote up saga for friends on PoA.

well, I'm glad it appears that the problem is solved, but I'm sorry you had as much difficulty diagnosing the problem as you did.

Heres to you having a happy and healthy plane for many years to come!

JOOC, I'd be interested to know what your bottom line $$$ figure was for this whole mecahnical ordeal.

mattaxelrod said:
JOOC, I'd be interested to know what your bottom line $$$ figure was for this whole mecahnical ordeal.

and I'm dumb enough to figure it out.

Parts (new contacts) and labor in Virginia $570.99
Meals, hotel in VA, fuel and operating costs to/from VA, missed business meeting...forget it
New ignition harness $186.90
New capacitors $254.90
Rebuilt mag $670.06
Local A&P labor TBD
Wasted time rounding up all this stuff...also forget about it
Exerience gained...Priceless:D

Lance F said:
This is the final chapter...I hope. In retrospect going at my in-flight shutdown problem in a piecemeal way cost time and money. (as an aside this makes Henning right).

Sometimes I hate being right, sorry it cost you so much. My experience has been with engines using those siamesed mags, first sign of wonky problems, replace mag first, even if it bench tests good. I discussed this with an engineer once, and his theory on them was that it may be linked to them operating in each others fields so closely, and as they wear out a bit, they don't time exactly the same and the collapsing field of one coil can effect the other. Sounded good to me, but what the hell do I know, I'm just a dumb pilot who can turn a wrench.

Lance F said:
going at my in-flight shutdown problem in a piecemeal way cost time and money

Lance, I think it only seems this way in this episode, because you could not find someone who could troubleshoot it correctly the first time. If you had found someone who could fix the problem then you would think, 'well that saved a lot of money on a new mag and harness, proper repairing is the way to go'.
I am just concerned about the take-away from the experience. And about the situation of mechs now being parts-changing techs instead of real mechanics.

Let me put it another way.
If I replaced every component with new, each time I had a breakdown - I would have all new mags, alternator, starter, radios, exhaust, etc etc. But I didn't. I was able to repair, or send out for repair, many of these things. I admit it takes a little more time. But I haven't experienced where new parts or components are better, or last longer than the old, repaired parts - although that is a tempting assumption for many; new stuff is poorly made in many cases these days. I have spent a lot of time returning defective factory new parts. Not to mention the price of new vs repaired.

I think because you were stranded out, and because the component was an unusual (unfamiliar to many mechs) - then the parts swap was a good idea in this instance, I probably would have done the same especially in view of the price. BTW - glad you didn't have to change out the whole engine!

Let'sgoflying! said:
BTW - glad you didn't have to change out the whole engine!

And thanks to your cool head under pressure and skill you didn't have to change out the whole airplane:yes:

Lance,
Are you on the Mooney list? http://www.aviating.com/mooney/subscribe.html

The amount of money a knowledgable Mooney specific mechanic can save you is incredible. Also, the next time you run into something like that I'd call Don Maxwell at www.donmaxwell.com. He's is one of the most Mooney knowledgable people on the planet.

Lance F said:
and I'm dumb enough to figure it out.

Parts (new contacts) and labor in Virginia $570.99
Meals, hotel in VA, fuel and operating costs to/from VA, missed business meeting...forget it
New ignition harness $186.90
New capacitors $254.90
Rebuilt mag $670.06
Local A&P labor TBD
Wasted time rounding up all this stuff...also forget about it
Exerience gained...Priceless:D

Pete, Thanks.
I am on the Mooney list and find it helpful from time-to-time. I really don't think I had a Mooney specific problem and when you're on the ground away from home you're kind of stuck with whatever you can get.
I 've never had any communication yet with Don Maxwell, but it sounds like a good idea to do. I've heard good things about him, but he's 551.4 nm direct away from me.

Mags have always been trouble for A&P's since most don't have a machine to run them on and check them out like the repair stations are required to have. Even after changing points the mags should be test run on the proper equipment. Taking you mag to a repair station and having it check out is a small fee to pay to find out if it works properly.

Engine harness can be checked with a high tention tester if the A&P has one. Sounds like they did have the tester.

After reading you post I can see several problems with the A&P's not following trouble shooting procedures or having the proper tooks and you had to pay the bill for it. Kind of makes us A&P type look bad.

Stache

Back