ELT Inspection

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
What all goes into inspecting the ELT to be in compliance with FARs? I just ordered a replacement battery and plan to have it installed this week but it also needs to be inspected. Are there any more criteria other than what's listed in FAR 91.207 that needs to be done in order to qualify as inspecting the ELT?

Nope. Just the 12 month check and battery replacement like it states.

Only exception is if the aircraft is used for training. If so, then no ELT is required but it has to stay within 50nm of base.

Edit: Remember test the ELT only within the first 5 minutes after the hour.

Last edited:
Thanks. This should be a quick check by the mechanic then.

It depends if it's a 406 ELT or not. A 406 will need a code reader to read the 15 digit code. The others just ping on 121.5. Make sure your tech does the "football" test to test the "G" switch. A handful don't.

It depends if it's a 406 ELT or not. A 406 will need a code reader to read the 15 digit code.

Show me where in 91.207 it says that. To comply with 91.207 we look at what it says and not make up stuff that isn't there.

A 406 Mhz ELT does require extensive testing that can only be done by a qualified avionics shop IF YOU LIVE IN CANADA. The Canadian requirements are so pernicious that the performance of the test can often result in it then being necessary to replace the battery. :rolleyes:

If it's a regular old 121.5 ELT, the check takes only a few minutes once it's been pulled out of the plane (as long as it passes).
It's a regular old 121.5 ELT so it should be quick.

The hardest part of the ELT inspection in my plane is sending someone down the tail cone to get the blasted thing. It takes a preferably slender person and someone needs to either put something under the tail or hang on the prop because when you get 150 pounds that far after of the CG the tail likes to come down on it's own. Nothing was quite as amusing as hearing my old mechanic screaming when she got stuck head down in the aircraft after it did that and wasn't able to crawl back uphill.

Ron - why is your ELT mounted in such an inaccessible position? If the antenna were damaged in a forced landing how can you retrieve the ELT and integral antenna for handheld use? All of the tail mounted ELT's that I have encountered in Cessnas or Pipers have an access panel.

If the airplane is bellied in (or worse), I doubt that I'd have to worry about it tipping back on the main gear. You need to get into the baggage compartment, and past the remote avionics rack, and there it is. There's an access panel (really it's just a fabric panel that snaps in place, but you've got to get at least IN the baggage compartment to reach it. It's easier to go in head first from the passenger compartment than try to reach it through the baggage door.

If the airplane is bellied in (or worse), I doubt that I'd have to worry about it tipping back on the main gear. You need to get into the baggage compartment, and past the remote avionics rack, and there it is. There's an access panel (really it's just a fabric panel that snaps in place, but you've got to get at least IN the baggage compartment to reach it. It's easier to go in head first from the passenger compartment than try to reach it through the baggage door.

I'm guessing removal of the back seat is difficult.

I'm guessing removal of the back seat is difficult.

You don't even need to remove it. It folds down. That's the way I'm talking about. It's easier to climb over the rear seat into the baggage compartment and then through the curtain and grab the ELT. The problem is that if you are sitting on the wheels that's enough weight rear of the wheels to tip the plane on the tail skid. I don't think I could quite reach it standing on the ground and reaching through the baggage door (My shoulders won't fit thorugh the door).

Show me where in 91.207 it says that. To comply with 91.207 we look at what it says and not make up stuff that isn't there.
First of all I do want to apologize for upsetting you. It seems that you are trying to pick a fight. You could have asked in a nicer way for someone to explain it and not say that I am making stuff up.
It says:
"(d) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for--
(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;
(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and
(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna."

That means if it has the capability to transmit the 15 digit code to the satellites and it transmits (signal) it it needs to be tested. The way to do that is with an ELT tester that reads the 406 signal or just wait for the call from the air force and US mission control.
Most if not all 406 ELT manufactures require you to test for the 15 digit code when performing the annual test.
How do you check the signal radiating from its antenna when an ELT has the capability to transmit the 15 digit code?

First of all I do want to apologize for upsetting you. It seems that you are trying to pick a fight. You could have asked in a nicer way for someone to explain it and not say that I am making stuff up.
It says:
"(d) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for--
(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;

That means if it has the capability to transmit the 15 digit code to the satellites and it transmits (signal) it it needs to be tested. The way to do that is with an ELT tester that reads the 406 signal or just wait for the call from the air force and US mission control.
Most if not all 406 ELT manufactures require you to test for the 15 digit code when performing the annual test.
How do you check the signal radiating from its antenna when an ELT has the capability to transmit the 15 digit code?

406 ACK and Ameri Kings don't require it at 12 month inspections per their instructions for continued airworthiness.. Their manuals say the same thing 91.207 does and a self test for the 406 part. So what make and model says its required? I want to avoid those.

It says:
(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;

406 ACK and Ameri Kings don't require it at 12 month inspections per their instructions for continued airworthiness, just recommended. Their manuals say the same thing 91.207 does and a self test for the 406 part.

3.1.8 Verification of Digital Message
Note:
This test is not mandatory per FAR 91.207(d) however Ameri-King strongly recommends that it be performed as part of periodic maintenance, at least every year.
Verify the 406 MHz digital message using a Computer Test Set capable of receiving and decoding the message. Ameri-King suggests the Ameri-King ELT Computer Test Set P/N TS-451. Contact your local Ameri-King dealer for availability of the Computer Test Set or call Ameri-King. Follow instructions provided with the computer test set.

http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/03c ICA-451 Rev NC-1 Operations and ICA.pdf

You said it's required. It is not.

Not upset just trying to be brief and to the point. ;-)

406 Mhz ELT's have a self test function that checks G-switch latch, the 406 Mhz transmitter RF output, position data and battery condition. Integrity of antenna and coax are checked by reception of the 121.5 sweep or by use of an AM radio in proximity. Any faults will be displayed by coded flashing of the indicator light at the conclusion of the test. There is no requirement for an "ELT tester" in the U.S.

406 Mhz ELT's have a self test function that checks G-switch latch, the 406 Mhz transmitter RF output, position data and battery condition. Integrity of antenna and coax are checked by reception of the 121.5 sweep or by use of an AM radio in proximity. Any faults will be displayed by coded flashing of the indicator light at the conclusion of the test. There is no requirement for an "ELT tester" in the U.S.

Correct. And from what I've see in at least one install manual of a GPS interfaced, verifying that the ELT was getting position data from a GPS was a joke involving inserting LEDs after disconecting a connector at the ELT to verify voltage or something like that. It was a very.... Less than... scientific.

Last edited:
Many folks mis replacement and tracking of the remote switch panel battery installed in the cockpit and some even have a battery in the buzzer if equipped. When that battery fails in the remote, it won't work properly on the ones I've encounted. I've also found bad remote switch panels even tho the ELT passed.

Of the top of my head, ARTEX.

Can you find out which make and model you have? I looked through several Artex Manuals on their website and so far only found this in them which is the same checklist used for the ME406, ME406HM, ME406 ACE, G406-4.

I'm curious if you might have an oddball.

I've never used it but there is a service available for a subscription fee that will verify your ELT test signal was received by the satellite. I believe that for certain specific units they also offer a service where an ELT or PLB test can be used as an "I'm okay and here is where I am now" function that will trigger an email or SMS message. I think it was 406link or something like that. Of course doing a large number of tests may have a detrimental effect on the battery so there is that to think of.

Back